U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,782,164 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been looking through the Virginia DMV and I have a dilemma...My driver's license expiration here in FL is in January/2011, so I will renew it here then, we plan on moving to VA in the summer of 2011 and I was wondering the following:

1. Does it transfer there?
2. Do we have to take the driving exam again in VA? text book/driving test?
3. Do we renew it online on their website? CAN we?
4. How much time do we have to do that? here is 10 days from the date you move.
5. I have a preferred license plate now, do you have that there too? Mine is with "Protect the wild dolphins".
6. Do you have license plate front and back? we drove through VA 9 times now but I forgot to look, in Europe I used to have front and back and I know NY still has that and a few other states, but I didn't look when we passed through VA.
7. Can all this be done in advance online so we don't have to waste more time with it when we get there? or does it have to be done in person at a DMV office?
8. My mom doesn't drive anymore, she has a FL ID only now, can she have a VA ID card there too? or will she be forced to get a drivers license even though she doesn't drive?

Anything else we should know?

How are car insurance rates there? our cars are 99 and 04 no incidents? would we get a good rate?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 AM

This is what it says on the DMV website:

"New Residents

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license. However, if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.

If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a U.S. state or territory, a Canadian province, France or Germany, you may not be required to:

* take the two-part knowledge exam or the road skills test
* show proof of successful completion of driver education;
or
* hold a learner's permit for 30 days.

However, you must pass a vision screening.

If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a country other than Canada, France or Germany, you may not be required to show proof of successful completion of driver education or hold a learner's permit for 30 days. However, you must pass the two-part knowledge exam, road skills test and a vision screening.

You must possess your driver's license for at least 60 days prior to obtaining a Virginia driver's license. If your current driver's license does not display an issue date, you will be required to provide proof of the date of issue (i.e. driver's transcript).

If your license has been suspended or revoked by another state, a Virginia license may not be issued until your driving record in that state is cleared and you meet Virginia requirements.
"

So what are citizens from FL to do?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,895,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Hi,

I've been looking through the Virginia DMV and I have a dilemma...My driver's license expiration here in FL is in January/2011, so I will renew it here then, we plan on moving to VA in the summer of 2011 and I was wondering the following:

1. Does it transfer there?
2. Do we have to take the driving exam again in VA? text book/driving test?
3. Do we renew it online on their website? CAN we?
4. How much time do we have to do that? here is 10 days from the date you move.
5. I have a preferred license plate now, do you have that there too? Mine is with "Protect the wild dolphins".
6. Do you have license plate front and back? we drove through VA 9 times now but I forgot to look, in Europe I used to have front and back and I know NY still has that and a few other states, but I didn't look when we passed through VA.
7. Can all this be done in advance online so we don't have to waste more time with it when we get there? or does it have to be done in person at a DMV office?
8. My mom doesn't drive anymore, she has a FL ID only now, can she have a VA ID card there too? or will she be forced to get a drivers license even though she doesn't drive?

Anything else we should know?

How are car insurance rates there? our cars are 99 and 04 no incidents? would we get a good rate?

Thank you,

1. If you hold a valid FL license, VA will waive all tests except the vision screening.

2. See #1

3. Can you renew a VA license on line? Yes, but only every other time
because an eye test is required every ten years.

4. 60 days

5. VA has hundreds of plate options, most at extra cost. You can view
at the website.

6. Two plates are required in VA.

7. You have to apply in person for your initial (original) VA drivers license.
(you have to present proof of residency and a bunch of I.D. and a photo taken)

8. Yes, VA offers Photo I.d.s for folks that do not drive.

Car insurance rates are fairly reasonable in NOVA if you have a good driving record. I don't know how they compare to FL, but they are less than in MD...and WAY less than crazy places like NJ/NY.

Last edited by car54; 07-06-2010 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 06:38 AM

358 posts, read 664,337 times
Some localities also require city/county stickers which go on your windshield next to the inspection sticker, they are a seperate annual local tax. And some localities in Northern Virginia require annual emission inspections along with the state vehicle inspection. If you are new to Virginia you will HAVE to go in person to register and bring everything, current registration from FL, titles if owned outright, multiple ID's, and it probably is a good idea to have your birth certificate handy. After 9/11 you need your birth certificate to get ID's in Virginia. For your Mom, she CAN get a Virginia ID ONLY card, again you may need that birth certificate.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 AM

Thank you for explaining that.

Are these notified to us by mail? or do I have to set reminders in my Entourage to remember to pay them? do they send notes in the mail? how does that work? we don't have any of that here in FL, so we will need to get the emission inspection etc...

We have all the forms and titles for both vehicles, they are owned outright...my mom however is a permanent resident and has a green card and passport...is that an issue? do we have to translate her birth certificate?

Thank you.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 AM

358 posts, read 664,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Thank you for explaining that.

Are these notified to us by mail? or do I have to set reminders in my Entourage to remember to pay them? do they send notes in the mail? how does that work? we don't have any of that here in FL, so we will need to get the emission inspection etc...

We have all the forms and titles for both vehicles, they are owned outright...my mom however is a permanent resident and has a green card and passport...is that an issue? do we have to translate her birth certificate?

Thank you.
The State inspection is a big, ugly, yellow sticker right in the middle of the windshield that expires at the end of the month shown.

If the locality you move to requires the city/county sticker you are mailed the bill, usually around December. I believe each area can set their own experation date so the exact timing may vary. In areas that don't require a sticker you still pay a tax for it as part of the annual personal property tax on all vehicles that conveniently comes due right around Christmas time.

I'm not exactly sure how the emission inspection works, I'm not requierd to get it, only specific areas have to.

The paperwork for your Mom sounds like it should work fine, but you should probably call or see if their website ( DMVNOW.com) has a question link. I'm nowwhere near an expert on that.

Last edited by emsman; 07-06-2010 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM

We had that in Europe, I mean all the inspections etc....apparently Florida is lawless when it comes to driving or car inspections as we are not required to have any, our insurance rates here are sky higher than NY probably with all the people driving like nuts!

Thank you,

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

291 posts, read 671,508 times
Hope someone can answer my question...My wife and I will be moving to VA for 11 months. She has a temporary employment contract. She is working on her masters, so she is still a student. Actually her contract is a required part of her degree, and she is paying credit hours at her school in NC.

The point is we do not wish to establish a domicile in Va. Losing are residency in NC would increase her tuition rates. Also, the hassle of doing the whole VADL, registration, car exams, cost of adding a front license plate...just a pain. Additional info...our insurance is fine with the setup, and I am self-employed.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,157,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Hope someone can answer my question...My wife and I will be moving to VA for 11 months. She has a temporary employment contract. She is working on her masters, so she is still a student. Actually her contract is a required part of her degree, and she is paying credit hours at her school in NC.

The point is we do not wish to establish a domicile in Va. Losing are residency in NC would increase her tuition rates. Also, the hassle of doing the whole VADL, registration, car exams, cost of adding a front license plate...just a pain. Additional info...our insurance is fine with the setup, and I am self-employed.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
I know there was something on the DMV website concerning students that are here for school but not to sure. I am sure there are others on here who can give you more info. To be honest I would just try to go without registering it, if you are not giving up your place in NC. However, I have seen several posters on here who said their neighbors reported them for not having VA tags. The area has so many military personnel here I would imagine you could probably get away with leaving things they way they are. However, my advice may be bad, I am sure if it is someone will correct me.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

291 posts, read 671,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I know there was something on the DMV website concerning students that are here for school but not to sure. I am sure there are others on here who can give you more info. To be honest I would just try to go without registering it, if you are not giving up your place in NC. However, I have seen several posters on here who said their neighbors reported them for not having VA tags. The area has so many military personnel here I would imagine you could probably get away with leaving things they way they are. However, my advice may be bad, I am sure if it is someone will correct me.

Thanks...I emailed DMV, and will post the response for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia