Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,346 times

Advertisements

My husband got a new job and we are moving to Alexandria. His job is in the 22312 zipcode. Can any body tell me what townhouse communities or neighborhoods to steer clear from? We are on a tight budget and have a child. We need to stick to under 330K- even under 300 is possible. Its been kind of hard knowing what's a decent neighborhood in that price range. And checking the sex offender registry has made the search even harder.

There were some single family homes in the Rose Hill area. How is that neighborhood? Any bad pockets in Falls Church? What are the bad parts of Springfield. We are trying to stick to within 30 minutes from work so moving out far from the beltway is not an option.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Asking people to dish trash on certain areas is not a good way to get helpful information on here and just sets off incendiaries. If you'd stated your question more positively as in "Please tell me where I can buy a townhouse near 22312 for under $330,000 that is a safe place to raise small children" I'm sure you'd have gotten more suggestions.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
It's also that there isn't a lot in the stated price range, safe or unsafe.

The only 22312 TH community on MLS in that price range is Jefferson Green. I pass it a lot but it's set back from the main road a bit so I've never been in there. It seems OK to me. Certainly the surrounding area is not unsafe.

Try Franconia- zip code 22310. There seems to be a lot more selection there and it's still pretty close (and safe).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
There may be a possibility of getting a smaller SFH in North Springfield for that price (that's a specific neighborhood located between the Beltway/Braddock Road/Backlick Road).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
West Springfield, in the vicinity of Rolling Road, 22152, or the Kings Park area, 22151, should have options in your price range, and are within the preferred time to work, without having to use the Beltway or 395.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

214 posts, read 487,775 times
I would plan on *renting* a townhouse for a year or so before committing to buy.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM

CAVA1990 I didn't mean to be offensive. Its just been rather stressful trying to find a place to live in our price range and would like any opinion on the matter.

We're actually surprised at how much is available to us in our price range. Right now we like a townhouse in Leawood in North Springfield. But there seems to be single familes that pop up in Bren Mar Park. Does anyone have opinions on bren mar park? Its older homes, some are kept up and some aren't. It would be nice to have a yard but I'm not sure of the neighborhood situation. Its near bren mar elementary...anyone know anything about the school? I know fairfax county in general has a good public school reputation.??

Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Here's the FCPS page for Bren Mar Park ES (right now that area is also assigned to Poe Middle and Annandale HS):

FCPS - School Profiles - Bren Mar Park ES

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joham123 View Post
We're actually surprised at how much is available to us in our price range. Right now we like a townhouse in Leawood in North Springfield. But there seems to be single familes that pop up in Bren Mar Park. Does anyone have opinions on bren mar park? Its older homes, some are kept up and some aren't. It would be nice to have a yard but I'm not sure of the neighborhood situation. Its near bren mar elementary...anyone know anything about the school? I know fairfax county in general has a good public school reputation.??
I've gone running and biking through that neighborhood. It's not bad. It's like you said- huge variation in the homes. It's a safe area, but from what I know, there's a lot of rentals. Some of the places are not that well kept up and some of them have like 10 people living there. If you can find a nice house, it seems like a nice place to live.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Thanks pcity...I think that is the conclusion we came to. We spoke with some neighbors which was helpful too. Right now we are trying to get in a townhouse in the Leawood Forest area in North Springfield. Bren Mar is still attractive since we get a house with a yard. So if this contract falls through we are keeping are eyes open in that area. I think we just take it house by house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia