Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM

107 posts, read 250,688 times

Advertisements

Recently I received a notice that my auto insurance premium was heading skyward - the second jump in 6 months. I am an insurance company's dream, so it does not make much sense to me. I am finally motivated to shop for new policies elsewhere but not really sure what exactly I need to consider. I'm currently with Allied, have been for 6 years and have a 'longevity discount'. LOL!

An online Progressive quote was 2/3 less than what Allied is charging. My vehicle is only worth $5500, at best and Allied is charging me $1200/year.

So, do I call Allied and tell them match their price or I am going elsewhere or do you only do that with credit card rates?

Also, where do I go to check if a company is in good shape, or a good buy? I've heard that Allied is in good shape, but I have not done my homework.

I will buy two policies (condo and auto), so I will have a bundle discount.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
Recently I received a notice that my auto insurance premium was heading skyward - the second jump in 6 months. I am an insurance company's dream, so it does not make much sense to me. I am finally motivated to shop for new policies elsewhere but not really sure what exactly I need to consider. I'm currently with Allied, have been for 6 years and have a 'longevity discount'. LOL!

An online Progressive quote was 2/3 less than what Allied is charging. My vehicle is only worth $5500, at best and Allied is charging me $1200/year.

So, do I call Allied and tell them match their price or I am going elsewhere or do you only do that with credit card rates?

Also, where do I go to check if a company is in good shape, or a good buy? I've heard that Allied is in good shape, but I have not done my homework.

I will buy two policies (condo and auto), so I will have a bundle discount.

Any advice is appreciated.
State Farm was the cheapest company (assuming you aren't eligible for USAA) I could find for insurance. I got a discount for combining auto and homeowners insurance.

You can try to talk to Allied but I wouldn't count on them budging.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Yes, $1200 sounds high, so I would shop around. Remember that opting for high deductibles saves money...and you might even consider dropping the collision coverage (assuming no lien) since the car's value is minimal.

BTW, your car's value really doesn't have much to do with the cost of your liability coverage, which constitutes the lion's share of the premium cost. That's because one can do just as much damage with a $100 car as one can do with a $50K car.

Case in point, I witnessed a crash the other day....this idiot in a rusty 80's Chevy Suburban (basically worthless) rear-ended a brand new Ferrari F430 Scuderia...a $300,000 car! Tore it up good...it was a painful thing to see!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
we to have State Farm and their rates are pretty comparable for us, we own our cars outright but do keep full coverage on both, we have noone under the age of 26 on our policy and we only pay about $1100 yearly for 2 cars and renters insurance, we have always been really pleased with them

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Another happy State Farm customer here. I just turned 30 and my insurance has been about $850 a year on my 2004 Toyota for full coverage. I also have my motorcycle and houses covered by them.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 AM

81 posts, read 240,830 times
I am with Progressive and my rates have been dropping consistently year after year since I joined with them in 2000 or 2001. I pay less than $600 a year for 2 cars. Progressive is supposed to be relatively lenient re speeding tickets and only look at past 3 years. I have not had any accidents since October 2001 and no tickets.

If you are paying $1200 for one old car in Nova then you must have a checkered accident or driving history.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
If you are paying $1200 for one old car in Nova then you must have a checkered accident or driving history.
At one point I had -12 points on my dmv record and state farm still had low rates.

When I got a motorcycle they initially granted insurance for it, but called later to say that they were going to cancel it because of all the tickets I had. I told them that I'd cancel my home and car insurance if they did that. They said they'd keep it active as long as I didn't get any more tickets - lol

Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Goodness that is high. We have been with Erie for decades. We pay about $650 for two cars. I keep the liability insurance very high (1 M). But since we are both retired, that puts us in a lower rung (drives < 8500 mi) year. We don't have a high deductible. I would be shocked if Erie quoted you anything like what you pay now.

Our agent is Boizelle Insurance Associates in Gaithersburg. They have a website, just google them. Great folks.

We also use Erie for homeowners so there is a discount in the rate for that.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM

107 posts, read 250,688 times
My insurance record is perfect, hence the "insurance company's dream". Never an accident or a claim (renters, condo, auto) after being insured for 8 years. I did have a speeding ticket a couple of years ago (my first and last - and no crazy speed either) but it never did show up on my record. My credit rating is 760+. My perfect record is also why my premiums do not make sense.

(I did not look at my auto statement correctly - the premium is lower; but still expensive). My auto insurance deductible is $500 and coverage is 100/300/100 (I hope I have that right - I'm very good at forgetting the combo). Premium is $407.61 (6 months). Progressive quote was $221.

My condo is 42.5 dwelling/40 personal property / 20 loss of use / 500 personal liability / 2 medical. $500 deductible. Premium is $295.91 (12 months)

Thanks for the suggestions, reviews, and insights. I'm going to call around now. Nationwide (Allied's sister) has been hounding me all day!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
We switched about a year ago to Liberty Mutual. They have tons of group discounts, in addition to combo discounts. I get one for being a Hokie. I have recently recommended them to 3 clients and friends, all who qualify for USAA, and their rate was so good they went with them! Our agent is down here in Midlothian and I would be happy to pass along her contact info if you want to call her for a quote. Just DM me and I'll send it to you. Oh, and we qualify for USAA too.

Last edited by onevthoki; 07-12-2010 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Added info on agent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia