Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM

21 posts, read 36,130 times

Advertisements

My fiance is relocating to Andrews, but neither of us are familiar with the DC area. We're looking to rent a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath apartment no more than a half hours drive to the base.

We don't have kids, so we could care less about the schools, we don't want to live near low income housing & fear for our cars safety, and would rather be in the middle of nowhere than the city. It's a lot to ask for, and we know we'll probably have to sacrifice one thing or another, but any suggestions would be wonderful!! He's an E5 in the Navy, if that helps anyone out at all, and we will be moving prior to getting married so his BAH will reflect no dependents.

Also, It doesn't matter too much to us which state we reside in, as we like both MD & VA equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 AM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
Default Some Help

I am sure someone can help you with this key bit of additional info: BAH for an E-5 without dependents in the DC Metro is $1551/month for FY 2010.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Just STAY OUT of Prince George's County!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Just STAY OUT of Prince George's County!
Spoken like a true Northern Virginian. Trash PG County for no good reason.

There are decent spots in PG County that are close to Andrews AFB. Upper Marlboro and Clinton fit the OP'd needs and are safe. Bowie if you are willing to do a longer drive. If you want to be in VA badly, Alexandria and Springfield are a decent commute to Andrews but are pretty city.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

There are decent spots in PG County that are close to Andrews AFB. Upper Marlboro and Clinton fit the OP'd needs and are safe. Bowie if you are willing to do a longer drive. If you want to be in VA badly, Alexandria and Springfield are a decent commute to Andrews but are pretty city.

This, of course, is personal opinion. I grew up in Clinton. I left in 1988 because it was not decent, IMO. Gunplay on the street in front of my house was in issue. I don't think it has improved. I have some diehard high school friends that haven't left yet and I would not call them "happy."

Just last week, I had to go to Pax River for some training. On the way back, my group had to stop to use the restroom due to having had large sodas at Chick-Fil-A down at Pax River and getting stuck in traffic in Waldorf. We made the mistake of stopping in Camp Springs where the old Regina Pizzeria used to me. Oh.My. It saddens me that my old stomping grounds have turned into such a place. Run down, sad looking.

I realize everyone has a different level of what's nice or okay so it's really hard to quantify this but, in any stretch of things, I can't think of a reason I would think the place was okay.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

No dude, spoken like someone with true local knowledge.

After SE DC, PG is the highest crime jurisdiction around here and I wanted the OP to know that. She even said she didn't want to fear for her car's safety...and she definitely would have to in PG. Price car insurance in PG...about triple that of NOVA, and there's a reason for that.

Sure, there are some decent spots in PG....Tantallon comes to mind, but an E-5's pay ain't going cut it.

Say, what's it...a slow day in Kansas? You really ought to move on....enjoy living in paradise, and leave us to our misery...

Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No dude, spoken like someone with true local knowledge.

After SE DC, PG is the highest crime jurisdiction around here and I wanted the OP to know that. She even said she didn't want to fear for her car's safety...and she definitely would have to in PG. Price car insurance in PG...about triple that of NOVA, and there's a reason for that.

Sure, there are some decent spots in PG....Tantallon comes to mind, but an E-5's pay ain't going cut it.

Say, what's it...a slow day in Kansas? You really ought to move on....enjoy living in paradise, and leave us to our misery...
I'm not going to leave you to your "misery" if you insist on lying or embellishing on certain areas. And this is a free country without any laws on where I can post. Hampton Roads' forum appreciates my help.

PG has good spots and bad spots. The areas I mentioned are what everyone I know in PG and around the area say are decent spots. Maybe not decent enough for those folks in Fairfax County but to the rest of the normal world decent. I also think there is a little embellishment on the car insurance issue. Maybe that's because you priced Great Falls against Suitland.

I also offered up Alexandria and Springfield but $1500 goes farther in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia