U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM

50 posts, read 129,406 times

Advertisements

I read a brief story on the WTOP website about BC getting a pedestrian- friendly renovation, new sidewalks, a streetcar, etc. There was also a passing reference to the fact that a metro station had been planned for this area but was abandoned. This was before my time. Anyone know the history. I work in this area and it is oddly developed. The Skyline complex is out of place but if a Metro stop had been planned for the area it wouldn't seem so odd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,778,903 times
I think you mean Bailey's Crossroads. It has an interesting history, check out wikipedia for a brief summary. There was a drive in theater there back in the 60's and a small airport. I took my first airplane ride there in 1964 or 65. Car54 can give you more of the history of that area.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM

628 posts, read 1,828,054 times
I lived on Leesburg Pike closer to Seven Corners when several floors of a Skyline building under construction pancaked. The ambulances were streaming back and forth along the Pike. I, too, remember the Airport and drive-in that still existed when I moved into the area in 1967. Down the road a bit at the intersection of Leesburg Pike and Columbia Pike there stood several quaint stone homes with a landmark windmill. I believe the planned streetcar line will run along Columbia Pike.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Of course I meant crossroads, not crossing. Sorry. What I'm more curious about is the reason the Metro didn't come throught BC. Was it going to be a totally different line, or an extension or slight detour from the blue or orange line? Did more powerful developers pull strings to get it to go a different direction?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

19,183 posts, read 29,873,337 times
Info on the Pike Transit Initiative. Like a lot of other things, the recession has pushed things back some, but it's such a sensible idea that it will get built out in some form eventually.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,779,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnovember View Post
Of course I meant crossroads, not crossing. Sorry. What I'm more curious about is the reason the Metro didn't come throught BC. Was it going to be a totally different line, or an extension or slight detour from the blue or orange line? Did more powerful developers pull strings to get it to go a different direction?

I've lived in Annandale since 1951 and as a kid, I remember hearing adults voicing their opposition to Metro coming anywhere near Annandale....they feared the crime a subway might bring. But, remember this was the 60's...and many major U. S. cities including DC, were burning, or were going to burn. That scared the folks in Annandale....they didn't want to be a quick subway ride from the urban mayhem. Plus, traffic was a non-issue back then...there just wasn't any, except for a little at the real "mixing bowl", which was near the Pentagon. Oh, and Shirley Highway (now I-395) would be delayed if a long train was crossing the highway (near Glebe Rd).

A Columbia Pike Metro line was planned but never built....there is even a dead-end stub tunnel in the Pentagon Station...that's where trains were going to peel off and head out Columbia Pike.

Basically, I think citizen opposition killed the Columbia Pike Line (and others). It's ironic that people nowadays pay through the nose to be near a Metro Station....and folks in the 60's fought tooth and nail to NOT be near one...

There is a book by a GMU professor that you can buy if interested in Metro history:

The Great Society Subway: a History of the Washington Metro by Zachary M. Schrag

Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM

Thanks car54. That was interesting. I've been told that is the reason there's no metro stop in Georgetown--to keep out the "undesireables"

Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,267,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnovember View Post
Thanks car54. That was interesting. I've been told that is the reason there's no metro stop in Georgetown--to keep out the "undesireables"
Also the reason the "purple line" had pushback. It was supposed to be an outer loop type line, but MoCo folks didn't want PG County people to come over. I believe at least part of it was going to connect the green line to the red line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia