Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
i'd rather see billboards than have to pay more taxes.
LOL! Intriguing idea, but it never works out that way (at least not in other places I've lived.) First they'll say "let us put up billboards and we won't raise taxes." Then the next year, they raise taxes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I totally agree! I hate roadside signs. All of them! Bill boards look trashy, but so do the little signs.

I've never understood the point of putting a 3x3 paper sign advertising houses in Leesburg at some intersection near McLean. Get real.

1) Nobody driving by can read those signs anyway.

2) What do they think is going to happen? Do they really expect somebody driving by to say "hey, let's drive 20 more miles to check out these condos in Leesburg!"
Normie, you mean you don't call in response to "Singles--Find Love Now", "Make $$$ Working At Home", or "Women's Fun Weight Loss Boot Camp!"??? These signs, with phone #s, are all over Route 1. I figured someone must be calling them.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Normie, you mean you don't call in response to "Singles--Find Love Now", "Make $$$ Working At Home", or "Women's Fun Weight Loss Boot Camp!"??? These signs, with phone #s, are all over Route 1. I figured someone must be calling them.
LOL can you imagine seeing that on an accident report?

"Suspect claims he got into the crash because he was Single and he needed to to Find Love Now, so he had to immediately dial the phone number before he forgot it..."

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
i'd rather see billboards than have to pay more taxes.
I wonder if that would ever come up as an option? It would be an interesting campaign platform, that's for sure. To be honest, I'm not sure which way I would vote. I think I'd rather have the taxes and remain billboard free.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I wonder if that would ever come up as an option? It would be an interesting campaign platform, that's for sure. To be honest, I'm not sure which way I would vote. I think I'd rather have the taxes and remain billboard free.

I don't see the connection between taxes and billboards either.

Outdoor advertisers are large corporations, and as such, with their lobbyists and payola....pay little or no taxes.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't see the connection between taxes and billboards either.

Outdoor advertisers are large corporations, and as such, with their lobbyists and payola....pay little or no taxes.
My guess is he meant the government could go into the billboard business. All billboards would be owned and rented out by the county, not a private corporation. I actually kind of like this idea. We could raise a lot of money that way.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL can you imagine seeing that on an accident report?

"Suspect claims he got into the crash because he was Single and he needed to to Find Love Now, so he had to immediately dial the phone number before he forgot it..."
LOL, now I have my ready-made excuse!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I wish they'd ban the little paper staked signs you see all over the sides of the roads around here. They look cheesy.
I so agree with this. Also, when a store is going out of business, why do they make some poor guy stand at an intersection with a sign? I saw one standing out in the rain today, and it seemed so ridiculous. I doubt the store got any more business because he was there, so why ask one of their employees to stand out in the rain?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM

One good thing, at least we don't have election signs all over the place this year. I was just over in WV and it was crazy. Signs here, signs there, signs signs signs signs everywhere. Why do they do that? Do they really think you're more likely to vote for someone because he put 100 signs at the same spot and the other guy only put 99?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
I want billboards aimed at pedestrians. Like in Times Square. In fact, I would like Times Square. A nice big outdoor "urban room" with bustling pedestrian activitiy 24/7. I would accept all the chain stores and fakeness to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia