Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times

Advertisements

Oh cool, when I quoted the post, the links worked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It might help except that none of your links work. They don't show up so that they are clickable.

I am shocked that the five schools you listed have such low capacity numbers. Perhaps you mean something else?

Clifton kids will have to split among 5 different schools, some many miles away? That's horrible. Then they will have to go to 5 different high schools?! That's even worse!
I think the "capacity numbers" refer to how under-enrolled the schools currently are when measured against their stated capacity (in other words, how many "extra" seats are available at each school).

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Clifton folks might find this interesting. It's a Staff presentation on the FCPS "priority schools" initiative designed to identify a handful (actually, 30) schools deemed worthy of receiving extra resources and attention based largely on a history of lower performance.

http://www.fcps.edu/supt/bcac/docume...lsProposal.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, Clifton ES was ranked second from the bottom (or the top, depending on how you look at it) under the Staff's methodology. In the context of the study, that's a good thing - it means everything was hunky-dory.

Seems "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" got turned into "If it ain't broke, shut it down" here.
Oh yes, their new pilot, a new, completely unproven program which will cost millions and millions. I hope that everyone reads the link you posted. It's filled with nonsense. This the one that includes summer training at UVA by professors from Darden at U Penn? Oh how fun, hundreds of people getting to spend the summer at UVA for ''training'' in a program that is totally unproven but will be lots of fun for staff! Also includes LOTS of new administrators, including a Division team and a 6 member team at each elementary school. Ummm............I can do that math, 6 new administrators at 30 elementary schools, 180 new administrators, PLUS people in central administration. How about they add 6 teachers at each of those schools instead of 6 administrators? Remember, we have NO evidence that all these administrators will make ANY difference in these schools. Wouldn't parents rather have one additional teacher at each grade so that class sizes could be dramatically reduced? Wouldn't much smaller class sizes be more effective than a bunch of new administrators?

Just another program, filled with junk, wasting millions of dollars of taxpayers money!

I guess the last such program, the one with 20 low performing schools that got gobs of money, didn't work. How do we know this one will work? We don't! I can't help but wonder where they get all the money for these things. I thought money was tight, so tight that it necessitated a tax increase and an increase in class size! We have to lay off teachers while we hire more administrators! GGRRRR.................

Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Oh yes, their new pilot, a new, completely unproven program which will cost millions and millions. I hope that everyone reads the link you posted. It's filled with nonsense. This the one that includes summer training at UVA by professors from Darden at U Penn? Oh how fun, hundreds of people getting to spend the summer at UVA for ''training'' in a program that is totally unproven but will be lots of fun for staff! Also includes LOTS of new administrators, including a Division team and a 6 member team at each elementary school. Ummm............I can do that math, 6 new administrators at 30 elementary schools, 180 new administrators, PLUS people in central administration. How about they add 6 teachers at each of those schools instead of 6 administrators? Remember, we have NO evidence that all these administrators will make ANY difference in these schools. Wouldn't parents rather have one additional teacher at each grade so that class sizes could be dramatically reduced? Wouldn't much smaller class sizes be more effective than a bunch of new administrators?

Just another program, filled with junk, wasting millions of dollars of taxpayers money!

I guess the last such program, the one with 20 low performing schools that got gobs of money, didn't work. How do we know this one will work? We don't! I can't help but wonder where they get all the money for these things. I thought money was tight, so tight that it necessitated a tax increase and an increase in class size! We have to lay off teachers while we hire more administrators! GGRRRR.................
I promise to read the whole thing, but only if you tell me first what it means to "work in the collaborative culture of a Professional Learning Community."

I'm guesing it means there will be lots of county and school administrators stepping on each others' toes at every step of the process, but they should avoid the temptation to beat each others' brains out.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Hahahaha, they love their "C" words. They love to talk about collaborating, cooperating, consulting. There's a 4th one that I can never remember! It means they will have more meetings to ''share'' more collaborative ideas. They also love their Professional Learning Communities which take time each day from learning. I asked the principal at Madison to explain what PLC's were and why students had to give up 25 to 45 minutes of instructional time each day for it. He said it was far too complicated to give me a simple explanation. I would need to make an appointment with him for at least 30 minutes for him to adequately explain this concept to me. I am not kidding. That's how ridiculous a program it is. Think of any other education class that takes 30 minutes to explain! There aren't any! Pure educrat garbage. When searching for a link, I found the 4th C! It's collegial! You need only read this paragraph for proof of how silly this program is and what a waste of time it is for our students, yet FCPS has forced it on all of our students at considerable cost and ZERO evidence that it has helped a single child learn anything. Professional Learning Community

Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Can anyone update me on the schools current status? I haven't been keeping up to speed with it. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM

8 posts, read 13,221 times
PRESS RELEASE:
"Clifton-Gate"
Subtitle: The Closing of Clifton Elementary, a mockumentary

Starring:
Liz Bradsher, Femme Nazi
Stu Gibson, Weazly DeuteragonistWanna Be Star (or little man behind the curtain in Oz)
Dean Tistadt, Quintissential Thug & Heavy (truly)
Kathy Smith, Mrs. Haversham-esque Shrew
Tessie Wilson, Black Cat doing its' mistress' bidding
Jane Strauss, crotchety cantankerous old auntie
Brad Center, the brainwashed foil
Dan Storck, character sadly used by protagonist and corrupted as collateral damage

Extras: crying children, parents, taxpayers, small business owners, homeowners, residents of Fairfax County - not portrayed by actors.

The truth will come out and justice will find this cast of villains.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPS Whistleblower View Post
PRESS RELEASE:
"Clifton-Gate"
Subtitle: The Closing of Clifton Elementary, a mockumentary

Starring:
Liz Bradsher, Femme Nazi
Stu Gibson, Weazly DeuteragonistWanna Be Star (or little man behind the curtain in Oz)
Dean Tistadt, Quintissential Thug & Heavy (truly)
Kathy Smith, Mrs. Haversham-esque Shrew
Tessie Wilson, Black Cat doing its' mistress' bidding
Jane Strauss, crotchety cantankerous old auntie
Brad Center, the brainwashed foil
Dan Storck, character sadly used by protagonist and corrupted as collateral damage

Extras: crying children, parents, taxpayers, small business owners, homeowners, residents of Fairfax County - not portrayed by actors.

The truth will come out and justice will find this cast of villains.
Sounds pretty accurate. Just an FYI, Tessie Wilson and Brad Center had already decided not to run for re-election next year.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Sounds pretty accurate. Just an FYI, Tessie Wilson and Brad Center had already decided not to run for re-election next year.
Yippeeeee!!!! Two down, 7 to go. (I'm for keeping Tina Hone, Sandy Evans, and Patty Reed.)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 PM

132 posts, read 324,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Clifton folks might find this interesting. It's a Staff presentation on the FCPS "priority schools" initiative designed to identify a handful (actually, 30) schools deemed worthy of receiving extra resources and attention based largely on a history of lower performance.

http://www.fcps.edu/supt/bcac/docume...lsProposal.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, Clifton ES was ranked second from the bottom (or the top, depending on how you look at it) under the Staff's methodology. In the context of the study, that's a good thing - it means everything was hunky-dory.

Seems "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" got turned into "If it ain't broke, shut it down" here.
Hmmm some very interesting methodology is being used here.

Take Achievement gap measure for example, the best school in this regard is Parklawn Elementary at 4.5%. Obviously this pushes this school way down as a priority school. But greatschools gives the school a rating of only 4. The "good" schools that many people here have recommended - Archer (24.92%), Haycock (17.89%) have a bigger achievement gap and appear higher on the priority list.

Oh I know why - demographics is excluded from computing the index. I think FCPS is wasting its resources on something that is based on an ill advised formula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia