Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
Thanks for the tips. Manassas Park looks like a real option, there are lots of nice looking houses in my price range.

How reliable is the VRE? Is it usually on time?

It would take me a great distance from home to work, but might be worth it for the tradeoffs.

I hope I'm not jinxing this job by talking about it, there's still a lot to work out before it happens, but I needed to be sure that this could work for me as one of the things that needs to be worked out.
I am not to sure about the Manassas line for the VRE, I hear it is better than the Fredericksburg line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 36,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
I'm going to DC this week for a second interview for a good potential position. It's not anywhere near a done deal yet, alot still needs to fall in place on both sides for this to work out. But, I'm trying to do this for a better quality of life, especially for my kids. Which leads to my question: are there good areas to look for family neighborhoods and good cities to raise kids out there? I have two sets of twins, boys 4 and girls almost 2.

We're used to the wide open west, and I live in a place where no one locks their doors (I have 5 doors on this house, and not one has a deadbolt). I know I won't find a place like that within commuting distance (I don't mind up to an hour commute to find the right place), but I hope to find someplace we can feel safe at night, with good schools and parks. We'll be making decent money (if I get this spot I will make about $135,000, my wife will probably stay home until the girls go to school).

Any suggestions on where to look? An thoughts on quality of life with a family out there? I've seen lots of discussion here about singles, but not for families, so this is one of the things I need to figure out before making the move, if it is offered.

One other question: are there places that offer free pre-K programs? We're paying over $2000 per month for daycare right now, anyway to offset that would be great.
My family and I are relocating from TN to NoVa this weekend for my husband's job. This is also a 1-2 year stay. Our #1 priority for a home was commute time for hubby. Long story short, we found a fantastic house in Vienna (5 bed, 3 bath, fenced yard, great schools) for $2500/mo. It does NOT have a garage though. But, Hubby can walk to the metro station (less than 1/2 mi from front door) and his commute will be well under 1 hour. He works in/around the same area you will be at (on the Mall). Check out Vienna/Falls Church area. The prices will be a little higher and homes a little older but you will be very close to the Metro which means (hopefully) you will have more time with your family on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia