Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't get the responses to her question. She said they want to buy an SFH with a $2K a month payment (a $300K home maybe?). Talking about Falls Church, Crystal City, etc. isn't very helpful. Sounds like she needs someone familiar with PW County as that's where the homes in decent neighborhoods in that price range are.
If you'll look again, I was responding to claremarie re: Crystal City, etc., because her assertion of 45 mins. commuting time from Arlington really isn't correct for many parts of Arl. and many times of the day.

If you have followed threads like this, I'm sure you know that many times posters who are moving from other parts of the country begin with one price range and a wish list and simply do not know what the boots-on-the-ground tradeoffs (particularly long commutes into DC) are, until people comment. So they need to know this info, and they may want options that they have not yet considered. Many times people come back and say they are changing their price range because they don't like what they would have to give up from their wish list. Or, they decide that what they thought would be an hour's commute will likely be twice that, and that the homes they were considering are out of the question. Or, they may decide to rent rather than buy, or something else.

I think all comments that respond with factual information are potentially helpful, but that's really up to the OP to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM

159 posts, read 442,747 times
From what I've seen and from what other people say, Woodbridge seems very crappy. I have seen a few decent neighborhoods but thats about it. Am I wrong? Is there a nice part of Woodbridge?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 PM

13 posts, read 17,259 times
We're moving to West Springfield next week and the homes in that area are closer to $500k but the area is nice and the schools are good. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
From what I've seen and from what other people say, Woodbridge seems very crappy. I have seen a few decent neighborhoods but thats about it. Am I wrong? Is there a nice part of Woodbridge?
Tell us what you've seen, where you've been, etc. so I can get an idea of what your definition of "nice" is. Nice is rather subjective for each person.

For instance, my coworker lives in Fairfax and in his neighborhood he still has people with Christmas lights up and a house decorated in all Redskins colors and paraphenalia. His other neighbor has junk cars on the side yard, and another neighbor has no dirt in his yard. I don't think that looks nice and I have seen a couple of places in Woodbridge that look like that. It's EVERYWHERE.

So, in Woodbridge, I think all of the neighborhoods off Cardinal Drive are nice.
I think all of the neighborhoods off Old Bridge are nice with the exception of a group of places off of Clipper Drive.

I think all of Montclair is nice (admittedly that's Dumfries).

90% of the houses of Minnieville Road past Cardinal are nice.

There are some spotty areas in the "A" and "B" sections of Dale City.

Marumsco Hills and back behind Marumsco Plaza are funky as is most of the stuff south of Belmont Bay.

To me, that is a smaller percentage of the entity of Woodbridge and by no means the norm.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,612 times
I live in a very nice area of western Prince William county. Off of Yates Ford/Davis Ford Road.

10 minutes to the VRE in Manassas. Look there.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,612 times
P.S.

I agree with some of the negative comments about Woodbridge.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Well, you're not going to find a SFH in Fairfax County for under $350K, unless it is a teardown. If you really want a house with a yard, you'll have to go further out.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,514 times
Think more about your commute then a large lot. If you are never home it's hard to appreciate the extra space.
Springfield has some homes on the market that have nearly 1/2 acre lots around 420 -450k My math says that is over a 2000 a month for payment and taxes are going to bring the payment up. But Springfield has the Metro and VRE rail line.

As far South as you were looking you would want to take the train out of Fredericksburg or try the sluglines from Woodbridge.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Back to the OP - how on earth can anyone ask about prices a year and half out?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
If you have followed threads like this
Sorry, I haven't followed many threads like this. They're usually more responsive to the OP's situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia