U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times

Advertisements

It does sound expensive, I agree. I would get a quote from Brake Masters, and the benefit is that they come to you to perform the work. I have not used them, but my neighbor has, on one of their cars, and they have not crashed, nor did they complain about the service or cost.

Welcome to Brake Masters

You might also give Merv's Auto Repair in Springfield a call to see what they would charge. They do excellent work, and while not the easiest shop to find, they are fair in the labor rates. Some independent shops will charge the full labor rate like a dealership, based upon the book, and others will charge actual time, though the rate might be a bit higher. I think your quotes have been for book labor rates.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Don't go anywhere....let these guys come to you.

www.brakemasters.net

Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 30,986 times
WOW! I was quoted 170 for the brake flush! Thats so nuts! I am opting not to do that, of course.

Anyway, thanks everyone, for the great suggestions! The Shell Service Station at Duke and Brake Masters gave me the best estimates (200 less than my original!) out of all the bazillion places I called today. I'm going with the Shell station just because they can do it tomorrow, and I need my car asap.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

421 posts, read 818,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debernan View Post
So I JUST moved to VA from PA and am trying to get all my car information sorted out. I went and got a safety inspection (from Wygul)and was told I failed due to needing new front brakes on my Saturn Ion II, and that the cost for new brakes/labor would be $588.62. I have a friend in PA with the same car as me, and recently had new front brakes put on and it was more like $250ish. Now, I expect that everything is more down here, but really, should it be THAT MUCH more????

So I live in Alexandria and need help. Can anyone suggest places to call that might give me a cheaper quote on the brakes/labor? Or does the 588 sound right? THANKS!
Funny you brought this up. Last week, I went to NTB here in Manassas for an estimate on my front brakes. It was about $425.00. Yesterday I took the car over to my old favorite repair shop, Rogers Service Center, and got an estimate for $200.00. They did it on the spot for me. I don't expect you to come to Manassas, of course, but the moral of this story is "check around".

Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
NEVER take a car to a tire place for anything but tires....and then PRAY that they don't screw that up!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM

826 posts, read 685,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
I don't expect you to come to Manassas, of course, but the moral of this story is "check around".
But if you do, it is worth the drive to save $200+

It is very common to hear car dealers and repair shop techs tell you to go to Manassas if you want good quality work for a fair price. A number of NoVA shops I have dealt with outsource some of their work to Manassas establishments.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 AM

18 posts, read 30,986 times
I just figured I'd leave an up-date:

Picked up my car from Wiygul and dropped it off at the Shell. I got a call about an hour later and the guy told me he had no idea why the people at Wiygul failed me for my safety inspection: I DON'T NEED FRONT BRAKES!

Wow. Talk about a lack of honest mechanics. Trying to charge me almost 600 for something I didn't need.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,153 times
Quote:

Picked up my car from Wiygul and dropped it off at the Shell. I got a call about an hour later and the guy told me he had no idea why the people at Wiygul failed me for my safety inspection: I DON'T NEED FRONT BRAKES!

Wow. Talk about a lack of honest mechanics. Trying to charge me almost 600 for something I didn't need.

So did the guy from Shell do your safety inspection? It is amazing to me that people will try to do that. Did you ask them as Wiygul to show you the brakes that they were alleging needed to be replaced?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 AM

213 posts, read 429,260 times
Quote:

Can I ask which Wiygul location you went to? My husband just went recently and passed his inspection but was told he needed to replace his front brakes soon. Glad you posted this.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:

You need to contact Va State Police as they are in charge of the Va inspections. Of course the mechanic at the Shell will need to help with the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia