U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times

Advertisements

so like if someone asks for a synagogue that follows sephardic customs thats wrong? Religion is intimately tied up with culture - its about music, food, styles of communication. AFAICT many african american churches are distinctive in their worship style, and in their music. Why shouldnt someone ask for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,611,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
so like if someone asks for a synagogue that follows sephardic customs thats wrong? Religion is intimately tied up with culture - its about music, food, styles of communication. AFAICT many african american churches are distinctive in their worship style, and in their music. Why shouldnt someone ask for that?
Depends on what you believe. In Christianity, there is no such thing as a black, hispanic, asian or white church in the Bible but yet you see them around everywhere, especially in NoVA. In black churches, there are some that celebrate things like Black History Month. Is that something that relates to the Bible or culture? How do you justify that with scripture? Not saying that it is wrong, but I don't understand what role it has in church. I don't go to the grocery store to do my laundry so why would I need to go to church to celebrate cultural events?

Many black churches also developed their style of worship and music based on the history of their churches. Many of the hymnals sung aren't biblically based, they are words telling slaves how to escape their masters. They also preached a certain way to mask the message they were trying to give slaves without their masters knowing what they were saying. Many of the black churches do these same things today and don't even know the origin of what they are doing. Unfortunately it seems as though a few of them reside in NoVA.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Depends on what you believe. In Christianity, there is no such thing as a black, hispanic, asian or white church in the Bible but yet you see them around everywhere, especially in NoVA..
Theres no such things as a church parking lot in the bible. I mean I dont think even Martin Luther intended "Sole scriptura" to go that far (not that Im a fan of Sole scriptura, but then Im not a christian, much less a Protestant) Anyway, this is a CD city forum - I dont think its the place to tell people that the connection between religion and culture (practiced in christianity by eastern churches for over 1500 years, and found non christian traditions for longer) is illegitimate.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you believe. In Christianity, there is no such thing as a black, hispanic, asian or white church in the Bible but yet you see them around everywhere, especially in NoVA. .

well you dont see anything but generic ashkenazic shuls in NoVa. Theres a sephardic shul in MoCo, mostly Persian I think. In NYC and in Jerusalem there are morooccan, central asian, yemeni, Iraqi shuls, and even different ashkenazi traditions. Id love to participate in some of that ethnic cultural variety.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Theres no such things as a church parking lot in the bible. I mean I dont think even Martin Luther intended "Sole scriptura" to go that far (not that Im a fan of Sole scriptura, but then Im not a christian, much less a Protestant) Anyway, this is a CD city forum - I dont think its the place to tell people that the connection between religion and culture (practiced in christianity by eastern churches for over 1500 years, and found non christian traditions for longer) is illegitimate.
I think you are being a bit anal. Who said that culture and religion had to blend together? Are you saying it's wrong for people of different cultures who share the same beliefs to worship together? I don't understand where you are coming from. First you say that it's okay for culture to separate believers, but then you say that you wouldn't mind participating in ethnic cultural variety in different NoVa places of worship. I guess a better question would be are you a believer of the Bible?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM

29,688 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Depends on what you believe. In Christianity, there is no such thing as a black, hispanic, asian or white church in the Bible but yet you see them around everywhere, especially in NoVA. In black churches, there are some that celebrate things like Black History Month. Is that something that relates to the Bible or culture? How do you justify that with scripture? Not saying that it is wrong, but I don't understand what role it has in church. I don't go to the grocery store to do my laundry so why would I need to go to church to celebrate cultural events?

Many black churches also developed their style of worship and music based on the history of their churches. Many of the hymnals sung aren't biblically based, they are words telling slaves how to escape their masters. They also preached a certain way to mask the message they were trying to give slaves without their masters knowing what they were saying. Many of the black churches do these same things today and don't even know the origin of what they are doing. Unfortunately it seems as though a few of them reside in NoVA.
As far as the whole Black church/White church thing, it's really much more about preferences for certain cultural expressions of worship. That's something that's quite loaded and sacred in the Black church and I find it's something that some Whites just don't understand. Many of these traditions were borne out of slavery and the desire for freedom from such a condition (and there's indeed a biblical basis for that, as our ancestors drew from the biblical imagery of Israel in captivity in Egypt) and gives the Black religious community a very distinct heritage and identity, and that's very important to many of us. When you talk about things like lined-meter hymns, mother's boards, mourning benches, communion on first Sundays, charismatic demonstrations, etc., those are things that run richly through our collective religious blood and distinguish the Black church tradition from other traditions.

What you're saying adequately demonstrates why there tends to be a distinction between the collective Black religious experience in America and the mainstream religious culture. We have interpreted our experiences as a people who have suffered oppression for the bulk of our history in this country through a religious/spiritual lens and see the hand of God at work in our freedom from slavery and subsequent events that have afforded us more freedoms and opportunities. Many people just don't get this because their frame of reference is vastly different. For Blacks, the church has been the bedrock institution of our community throughout the different periods of our history in America and remains so. It's just not the same for those of some other cultures so they cannot understand it.

And for the record, for the most part, Black churches aren't singing old Negro spirituals anymore and preaching isn't based on camouflaged instructions to escape from Massa. You may have never experienced a worship service in a Black church before, so I just thought I'd bring you up to speed.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM

18,614 posts, read 16,380,336 times
Quote:
I swear some folks are going way overboard with this colorblind nonsense. Now are people supposed to throw away their cultural habits in some grandiose goal of diversity?

To the OP I would start in Alexandria and take it from there.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 AM

18,614 posts, read 16,380,336 times
Quote:
I think you are being a bit anal. Who said that culture and religion had to blend together? Are you saying it's wrong for people of different cultures who share the same beliefs to worship together? I don't understand where you are coming from. First you say that it's okay for culture to separate believers, but then you say that you wouldn't mind participating in ethnic cultural variety in different NoVa places of worship. I guess a better question would be are you a believer of the Bible?
The OP wants a black church, that's their prerogative. I don't find this request as racist but merely an expression of her cultural affinity.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The OP wants a black church, that's their prerogative. I don't find this request as racist but merely an expression of her cultural affinity.
I didn't say she was wrong for wanting to have one, I just stated why there is a such thing as a black church. Some people took it as if it was a racial thing, but I'm simply stating that it is what has been taught. Of course I don't necessarily agree with it, but it doesn't matter, that's the OP's decision where they decide to go (or went since this thread is technically old).

Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 PM

467 posts, read 1,333,663 times
Quote:
I didn't say she was wrong for wanting to have one, I just stated why there is a such thing as a black church. Some people took it as if it was a racial thing, but I'm simply stating that it is what has been taught. Of course I don't necessarily agree with it, but it doesn't matter, that's the OP's decision where they decide to go (or went since this thread is technically old).
Why is there such a thing? Ask the black people who were systematically excluded from white churches, for a century. So, first, black people are forced to have their own churches. Then, they aren't allowed to?

How about we just leave them alone to enjoy their own traditions. They don't owe you (or white people in general) anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or