U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM

15 posts, read 30,366 times
Default Churches with Strong African American congregation

I have been visiting a number of churches since i have been here, in Herndon. I see that there seems to be a number of Afro-American congregations in Woodbridge, does anyone know if there is something simlar in Herndon/Reston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM

5,783 posts, read 5,790,588 times
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church: http://www.mtpleasantbaptist.org/

(Take my suggestion with a grain of salt as I'm white, Jewish, and live in Vienna. )

Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM

404 posts, read 589,994 times
I think the Old Town area of Alexandria has a number. Whenever I'm driving around on Sunday, I see plenty of African Americans wearing very nice clothes (the sort you'd wear to church, not work). That includes the big sunday hats women wear. I think there are a number of baptist churches in the area, although I'm not exactly a church goer

Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,794,010 times
St. Luke AME - meets at the Sheraton Reston - Sunday School at 9, Worship at 10

Christ Chapel AME - meets at Sterling Elementary School - Worship at 11

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM

784 posts, read 1,515,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I think the Old Town area of Alexandria has a number. Whenever I'm driving around on Sunday, I see plenty of African Americans wearing very nice clothes (the sort you'd wear to church, not work).
"Alfred Street Baptist Church" is quite a large black church in Old Town Alexandria.

Have you tried looking in the Fairfax County Yellow Pages under "Churches" then in the sub-sections listing historically black denominations like COGIC, Nat Bapt, and AME ?

Last edited by Tone509; 03-26-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM

18 posts, read 35,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaz View Post
I have been visiting a number of churches since i have been here, in Herndon. I see that there seems to be a number of Afro-American congregations in Woodbridge, does anyone know if there is something simlar in Herndon/Reston

All are welcome at St. John Neumann St. John Neumann - Catholic Community

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM

303 posts, read 537,970 times
With the exact same caveats as michgc (we have GOT to meet someday!), the First Baptist Church of Vienna is AA. It is in what used to be the AA area of Vienna.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM

549 posts, read 523,095 times
I believe you might be interested in the historic Cartersville Baptist Church on the edge of Reston, at the intersection of Sunrise Valley Drive and Hunter Mill Road. According to this history website -http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=2163 - it has had a congregation for more than a century. I think it's still active, since I occasionally do see there people dressed up for church when I've driven by.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,265 times
So who asks this question but someone with big time racial issues? Wow!? So, we can't worship with anyone but our own race? What a sad mess. I wonder what would happen if I asked where I could find a strong white church?
You should all travel a little.... You'd might just discover that there is only one race...the human race. The idea of races doesn't come from anywhere but the racists. Why do so many not understand this? Sigh...makes me tired.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

7,307 posts, read 4,799,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daguas View Post
So who asks this question but someone with big time racial issues? Wow!? So, we can't worship with anyone but our own race? What a sad mess. I wonder what would happen if I asked where I could find a strong white church?
You should all travel a little.... You'd might just discover that there is only one race...the human race. The idea of races doesn't come from anywhere but the racists. Why do so many not understand this? Sigh...makes me tired.
Unfortunately that is the problem with church these days. A lot of churches mix culture with the gospel and make people believe that it's only about what ever race they are. The Bible doesn't teach that, but people have been brainwashed to believe that. I think anyone looking for a church should be looking for a true Bible teaching church. When those churches do that, then their congregation will reflect what is taught there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia