U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,158,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtracNY4L View Post
I think you should move to D.C. or New York or Maryland or another fascist part of the country where you can feel good about yourself for using government to micro-manage every aspect of human existence like a good little totalitarian.

Virginia won't allow people like you in Northern Virginia to dominate this state. You are small time.

Just curious to whom you were directing this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,970,571 times
For all you govt bashers or those labelling me as a commie, the last I checked, America was a democracy. Which means a "democratic" government that is of the people, by the people and for the people. So the govt is you, me, your neighbor, your mail man, your hair dresser, etc.

If you don't like who you elected, change your preference next time around. But any step that is taken towards enahncing your health or life style, in my opinion, is a plus. And as I wrote in my first post, it is "scientifically proven" that sodas offer absolutely no nutrional benefit. Sometimes our hatred blinds us so much, that we just cannot see the iota of good that might be happening around us.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Getting back to the Northern Virginia angle of this thread....

and (just for the moment) putting aside how you feel about a tax like this....

if such a tax was created, what local programs do you think any revenues should be used for? Should it be for health related programs.... or would it be better to avoid the health issue and use it for something more basic like new schools?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM

660 posts, read 1,502,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Getting back to the Northern Virginia angle of this thread....

and (just for the moment) putting aside how you feel about a tax like this....

if such a tax was created, what local programs do you think any revenues should be used for? Should it be for health related programs.... or would it be better to avoid the health issue and use it for something more basic like new schools?
I'd like the revenue generated from any soda tax to be spend on measures that could reduce obesity in the community, such as ensuring that PE isn't cut from schools due to budgetary restrictions, and adding more sidewalks to suburban areas. In many parts of Northern Virginia, you can't even really go for a walk around your neighborhood because there aren't any sidewalks (or only on one side of the street, but the side keeps changing every block or two). Adding more sidewalks would make it easier for people to go for walks or jogs, which would hopefully affect obesity rates.

Personally, I like the idea of a soda tax. If it's designed to reduce obesity, though, why it would cover calorie-free diet soda and not incredibly unhealthy fruit juice and fruit drinks is beyond me. You'll get a lot fatter drinking Capri-Sun than Coke Zero.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,268,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
For all you govt bashers or those labelling me as a commie, the last I checked, America was a democracy. Which means a "democratic" government that is of the people, by the people and for the people.
Actually it's a Republic, there is a difference...

If we're going to start taxing Soda, we should also tax video game consoles, television, computers and cell phones too. I notice kids are pretty lethargic and those distractions keep kids indoors versus doing outdoor activities. Hey lets tax books too because you're not really being active if you've got your feet up reading an evil book.

Revenue from extra taxes should be used to buy everyone more ice cream. Everyone likes ice cream, well except for the lactose intolerant but hey we can't make everyone happy.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM

37 posts, read 68,384 times
I think we should start by eliminating the corn subsidies. We're paying them with our tax dollars to overproduce corn, then we're shocked when everything in the grocery store is packed with corn syrup. We distort the market with subsidies, then try to correct it by distorting it more with a "soda tax." If we stopped the subsidy, corn syrup wouldn't be so cheap and abundant, and people would have a little more to spend on decent foods.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post

If we're going to start taxing Soda, we should also tax video game consoles, television, computers and cell phones too. I notice kids are pretty lethargic and those distractions keep kids indoors versus doing outdoor activities. Hey lets tax books too because you're not really being active if you've got your feet up reading an evil book.

Revenue from extra taxes should be used to buy everyone more ice cream. Everyone likes ice cream, well except for the lactose intolerant but hey we can't make everyone happy.
I was going to say the same thing about being a republic vs. a democracy. It is a standard we teach our elementary students to understand by the end of third grade.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote. I think a lot of things that should be up to individuals are already over regulated. I guess personal choice and responsibility is out the window.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM

36 posts, read 57,576 times
Quote:
For all you govt bashers or those labelling me as a commie, the last I checked, America was a democracy. Which means a "democratic" government that is of the people, by the people and for the people. So the govt is you, me, your neighbor, your mail man, your hair dresser, etc.
Really? Because you just said that the government should admonish us. So, maybe it's you who doesn't see the government as being "of the people, by the people, and for the people." We don't elect officials for them to tell us what to do. We elect officials to represent us on a grander scale.

Quote:
If you don't like who you elected, change your preference next time around. But any step that is taken towards enahncing your health or life style, in my opinion, is a plus. And as I wrote in my first post, it is "scientifically proven" that sodas offer absolutely no nutrional benefit. Sometimes our hatred blinds us so much, that we just cannot see the iota of good that might be happening around us.
I have no qualms with my voting. Now, who other people voted for? Sure, but that's not even the issue.

And whose hatred? I don't see anyone hating anyone else.

What iota of good comes from the government taxing people more based purely upon a segment of society not being able to control their personal diets?

Should we all be taxed extra for internet usage or watching TV because some people are addicted to it and contributes to weight gain and makes their eyesight worse?

Last edited by illeagle; 07-23-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
I wonder if people from DC will be making "soda runs" over to Virginia now that they have a tax and we don't?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post

Great post. Not so sure about ice cream though; loaded with fat so I think the government should tax that too if not ban the substance out right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or