Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM

20 posts, read 34,479 times

Advertisements

There is a small possibility that I may be moving to Fairfax County VA. I understand that the cost of living is higher there than where I currently live (Tampa Bay) with regard to housing.

I was wondering if there were any suggestions with regard to areas to look at to live. I'd prefer a walkable neighborhood. I don't have much hope for a walk to work - it would be with the County government. That area appears to be fairly suburban in layout.

I'd be looking at apartments or other rental options to start.

If it matters my wife our four-year old will be with me.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Where will be working exactly? (Fairfax County has government offices in various locations.) What is your rental budget for how many BR? The answers to these will help narrow down what suggestions we can give you.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Actually, if you were working at Government Center, there are a lot of condos and apartments in that area.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Do you plan to send your child to public school, either this fall (if he/she will be turning five soon) or next year? If so, you will want to factor in the quality of the schools in the various neighborhoods you are considering, unless you are willing to move again in another year.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Default Job location

Thanks for responding. I believe that the office is located at 12055 Government Center Parkway.
As far as school goes I think that public will about what we can afford. I understand that the school system in the county is pretty good.

Last edited by Tobinn; 07-22-2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: expanded response

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
As Tone said there are plenty of places to live over near the Government Center so I'd start looking around there first. You might not be able to walk (although there are some condos and apartments within walking distance) but you could probably ride a bike. There are lots of shops and restaurants around there as well, including Wegmans, which is probably the best supermarket chain in the East. I can't speak to the schools but the area's so new I imagine the schools around there are newer as well and you are correct, we have an excellent school system in the county.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You should not have a problem walking to work in the Government Center's immediate area, depending upon whether or not you like the apartments that are in close proximity. There is a large grocery store, Wegman's, in the area, and several restaurants, movie theatre, smaller shops, etc. at Fairfax Corners, which sits just behind the Government Center. Within a 5 minute drive you have Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, and Fairfax Towne Center for even more shopping, dining, theater options.

There are condos, apartments, townhouses, and courtyard-style townhouses that are in the immediate area, so the housing is varied. The only thing not variable, as you are aware of, is the pricing, which will be higher than your current location. On the other side of the Government Center, you could live in the City of Fairfax and be at work in less than ten minutes, with a reverse commute, though it would be a long walk from most, but not all, of the city.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Walkability and good schools and affordable neighborhoods don't really go together in NOVA. You will most likely have to sacrifice one of them. We have lived here 20 years and have not been able to find those three things together.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You should not have a problem walking to work in the Government Center's immediate area, depending upon whether or not you like the apartments that are in close proximity. There is a large grocery store, Wegman's, in the area, and several restaurants, movie theatre, smaller shops, etc. at Fairfax Corners, which sits just behind the Government Center. Within a 5 minute drive you have Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, and Fairfax Towne Center for even more shopping, dining, theater options.

There are condos, apartments, townhouses, and courtyard-style townhouses that are in the immediate area, so the housing is varied. The only thing not variable, as you are aware of, is the pricing, which will be higher than your current location. On the other side of the Government Center, you could live in the City of Fairfax and be at work in less than ten minutes, with a reverse commute, though it would be a long walk from most, but not all, of the city.
Thank you all for your comments.

Any suggestions for areas in the Cit of Fairfax in which to live? Or, conversely, areas to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: