U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 AM

173 posts, read 761,261 times

Advertisements

It is just too hot! We'd like to do some outdoor recreational activities but it is so hot that all we can do is stay indoors. Yesterday we went to the mall just to get out of the house and it looks like everyone else had the same idea. The mall was packed and they were struggling to keep the place cool with all those bodies and the high temps outside.

Between this and the brutal winter, I'm really wishing again that I had moved to Northern Cal when I was young and had the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 AM

248 posts, read 614,760 times
Yet despite all the heat, there are people who have moved to NoVA from Northern California even recently....

You people really crack me up ROFL

I have concluded that people in general are really confused about life...

Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,786,308 times
and we are on our way to NoVa from Florida.........hahahahahaha

we are also stuck in the house for the same reason, except we don't have any free museums or mountains to drive to within a few hours to cool off! closest mountains are 10 hours away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Yet despite all the heat, there are people who have moved to NoVA from Northern California even recently....

You people really crack me up ROFL

I have concluded that people in general are really confused about life...

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,093,146 times
As someone who personally has a high heat tolerance - and a subsquent low tolerance when temps fall below 50* - I have literally embraced this weather and walked around to get some errands done yesterday. Granted, I did carry a bottle of water and a rag to wipe my brow. After the twin nightmare (for me) that was Snowmaggedon and Snowpocalypse, it's been a pleasure to tease my "snow bunny" friends.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM

696 posts, read 1,499,568 times
Yesterday was too hot for this Seattle native, but I do enjoy the lower 90's and can't wait to get back "down" there. It was even hot in church this morning!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,694,716 times
We didn't think it was too bad yesterday. A lot of our area is shaded and that definitely helps. Plus it seemed breezy. Imagine if the air was still! We did go to the store though and noticed it was much worse once we got out of our neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
It is just too hot! We'd like to do some outdoor recreational activities but it is so hot that all we can do is stay indoors.
You can still do those things, just go earlier. We went kayaking this morning, and it was in the 70s at 7 a.m. Just get up early enough that you can be home before 8:30 or so, when the temps start to climb.

Extra benefit: When you go hiking at 6 a.m. you see all kinds of birds and very few people. The wolrd seems like your private domain.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM

373 posts, read 717,230 times
In my imaginary world, the perfect weather is warm -- but not too warm -- and sunny but not blindingly so. But given the choice between crazy hot and humid and freezing/snowy/icy, I'll take our current heat. But I am glad that I do not have to be outside if I don't want to.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,136,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
It is just too hot! We'd like to do some outdoor recreational activities but it is so hot that all we can do is stay indoors. Yesterday we went to the mall just to get out of the house and it looks like everyone else had the same idea. The mall was packed and they were struggling to keep the place cool with all those bodies and the high temps outside.

Between this and the brutal winter, I'm really wishing again that I had moved to Northern Cal when I was young and had the chance.
We were at Fair Oaks mall yesterday. Yep, it was pretty crowded.

I got out early in the day and took the dog for a nice walk. Overall, the day felt hot but I didn't think it was unusually hot for this time of year. Hot summers in NoVa are fairly typical - much more common than the snowy winter we just had.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,683,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As someone who personally has a high heat tolerance - and a subsquent low tolerance when temps fall below 50* - I have literally embraced this weather and walked around to get some errands done yesterday. Granted, I did carry a bottle of water and a rag to wipe my brow. After the twin nightmare (for me) that was Snowmaggedon and Snowpocalypse, it's been a pleasure to tease my "snow bunny" friends.
I agree with this. I'd much rather deal with hot, sticky weather than bitter cold and snow. Ugh, I don't even want to think about winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia