U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM

639 posts, read 1,148,352 times

Advertisements

Thank you, I think I will love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,203 times
Hey, Katy, congratulations and welcome! Now, the least you could do to thank us is to invite us over for homemade cupcakes as soon as you move in! :-)

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hey, Katy, congratulations and welcome! Now, the least you could do to thank us is to invite us over for homemade cupcakes as soon as you move in! :-)
You got it

Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
By the way, if you love cupcakes there are some great cupcake places right in Reston. We used to have a thread on it that I'll bump for you.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM

thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM

189 posts, read 329,401 times
Congratulations on your new job, katyusha, and best wishes in the new adventure!!!

And kudos to the other posters for such a warm and helpful thread of must-see stuff for a visitor. It was delightful to read that and to see how kindly katyusha was welcomed.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
By the way, if you love cupcakes there are some great cupcake places right in Reston. We used to have a thread on it that I'll bump for you.
I'm a fan of Edibles Incredible in Reston Town Center myself for a quick treat. A little known fact is that around midday on the last Wednesday of every month they provide free samples to customers as sort of a way to "give back" for their loyalty (a nice little tidbit I learned from a magazine). Unfortunately I work in McLean so I can never take advantage of this! This operation is locally-owned and -operated with a newer sister location in LoCo's Brambleton community.

Order Cakes Online | Cake Delivery | Cupcake Delivery | Edibles Incredible

Also nearby in the adjacent Spectrum Center is the better-known La Madeleine, which is a major chain of about 60 venues. They are supposed to have some very good French pastries, although I do admit I've never been here (I may arrange a date with a female friend to do brunch here this Saturday, followed by a jaunt to the nearby library or Barnes & Noble).

La Madeleine

Another good bet just over the town line in Herndon is Amphora Bakery, which I've heard good things about but have likewise never patronized (although their web site pictures look good enough to devour!) Pastry orgasm!

Amphora Bakery | Pastries & More (http://www.amphorabakery.com/pastries/pastries.htm - broken link)

If you have any more Reston- or Herndon-specific inquiries please let me know. I've lived here now well over a year and am a single dude in my early-20s. This place isn't really my cup of tea since I'm barely making ends meat here, prefer more walkable urban environments, and dislike the traffic congestion, but I'm still very knowledgeable and would be more than happy to try to steer you to some of Reston's lesser-known secrets.

One of my favorite spots for a relaxing and quick breakfast is The Bagel Cafe in our neighbor of Herndon. My family and I stayed at a nearby hotel and scoped this place out to have breakfast while sitting on the patio. As the name implies they have some pretty good bagels as well as omelettes and other typical light morning fare. We picked the brains of people at adjoining tables about the area, nearly all of whom told me to move closer to the city based upon my age, status, and interests (sigh, if only my budget had allowed it!) LOL!

Welcome to The Bagel Cafe

I personally really don't like Silver Diner, which is another chain in Reston (you'll come to learn that practically 75% of the businesses in Reston are chains due to inflated commercial real estate prices, which is why I prefer the nooks and crannies of Herndon), but other people swear by it. I thought the food was very over-priced in comparison to the quality.

Silver Diner - Silver Diner | Welcome to Silver Diner!

JFromReston and others (this sub-forum has a very heavy Reston/Herndon presence) have recommended Cafesano to me, which I also hope to try out soon.

Cafesano – Italian & Mediterranean Cuisine Restaurant, Reston, VA

Friends of mine have also enjoyed the new sushi place at Lake Anne, and I want to try out Kalypso, the new sports bar there. Lake Anne is a great quiet place to sit down with a good book or just do some people-watching, and they have one of the best farmers' markets I have ever been to every Saturday morning. Reston Town Center also does a weekly market, which I don't like nearly as much (one of the few things Lake Anne actually does better, in my opinion).

G Sushi - Reston, VA
Kalypso's Sports Tavern - Reston, VA

(Also note the above reviews are from "Yelp", a site which I'm a member of and have always found to be immensely helpful).

I live in the very isolated "Uplands" section of the community (I couldn't afford any other safe parts of town), but I do try to walk to as many places as I can, as I feel the area is best experienced either on foot or by bicycle. Speaking of walking/cycling, the Washington & Old Dominion Trail runs through Reston/Herndon, and I've always found it to be a very enjoyable venue to work out on (despite some of the rude spandex-clad speed-cyclists who bully runners off the trail).

My general thoughts on Reston?

PROS:
-Extensive tree canopy that I have not seen rivaled anywhere else, which is shocking considering Reston is DC's third-largest suburb.
-Proximity to everywhere. You're not "right next to" anything in particular, but you're "not far from" everything. I can be taking a quiet country drive through NoVA's Hunt Country and the vineyards via Route 50 West or cruising through Georgetown in The District on a Sunday afternoon in about 30 minutes in either direction. We're near to Dulles Airport, Tysons Corner, major shopping districts in both Sterling and Fair Oaks, and adjoin Great Falls.
-Upcoming Metrorail. Finally the crotchety old anti-progress NIMBYs have been shut up, and the much-anticipated Silver Line will be making its debut here in the next several years. Many people in Reston work in Tysons Corner, Arlington, or DC, so typical congestion issues plaguing Route 7 and Route 267 may be mitigated once the rails are operational. I'm one person who will take the train to my office. Others here have also expressed they, too, will trade driving solo for the train. Property values will likely climb modestly here with the addition of the rail line.
-Reston Town Center. Yes, it's chain-dominated, expensive (save for happy hour specials), and a magnet for spoiled trust fund 20-somethings from LoCo to run amok with their parents' Porsches and credit cards, but it's also home to an amazing number of annual festivals and events---far too many to list. It seems like there's always something enjoyable going on here. The only event here thus far I have disliked was the Oktoberfest, which I felt was a huge ripoff, but I've heard other parts of NoVA have better offerings for this sort of event. I really enjoyed a Fine Arts Festival that was held here recently.
-Recreational Opportunities. In addition to the aforementioned Washington & Old Dominion Trail (which is incorrectly labeled on several trail signs as the WO&D Trail, but I digress) Reston also has a very extensive internal network of paved paths and trails that attempt to link various neighborhoods to points of interest. I regularly run a part of one trail that links my part of The Uplands to Tall Oaks, and the scenery is breathtaking. Another nice trail runs from Lake Anne to Reston Town Center. Supposedly there's another trail linking my 'hood to Northpoint Village Center (which I frequent), but I can't find it. There are parks all over the place, many public pools, soccer fields, playgrounds, etc.
-Underground Utilities. Coming from an area of Pennsylvania that was marred with an extensive network of above-grade power lines it's so nice to live somewhere where these eyesores are buried underground. A few weeks ago Reston had hurricane-force wind gusts from a very severe thunderstorm, and while our counterparts just across the Potomac and in parts of LoCo lost power, we did not. Not having to worry about making room for power lines along the roadways also lets the trees grow more lush and provides more of a sheltering canopy over roadways.
-Family-Oriented Opportunities: There's no denying that while Reston is dominated, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, by singles, that the community still favors families. While I personally would not recommend any of my fellow fresh college graduates move to Reston if they accept a position in NoVA (I'm the last of roughly a dozen friends who moved here in early-2009 who is still living in Reston), I would recommend this place in a heartbeat for a family. There are some on this sub-forum who decry Reston's "horrible schools", but bear in mind this sub-forum is also dominated by yuppies who don't realize most parts of the country would still kill to have even the worst of Fairfax County's schools. I'm a product of a very sub-par public school system in PA, and my parents' tax burden was higher to support that "quality" education.
-Aging Hippy Vibe. Maybe it's just me, but Reston always gave me the vibe of being on an incessant acid trip. A lot of people here seem to like to call themselves "progressive" or "ahead of the curve", which is probably why we're resented by much of the rest of NoVA. There's even a very popular blog, the Restonian, which was founded upon the principle of making fun of ourselves as a way to pat ourselves on the back for being special. While I hate outright bragging and boasting, I find some sort of attractive quality to that "quirky" vibe here. It's like if you were to pick up, perhaps, Alexandria's relatively "crunchy" Del Ray neighborhood then spread its populace around for a large land area you'd get Reston. We're not as pretentious as Georgetown, but we do like to toot our own horn too much about being "weird." I like that (then again I'm also a socially liberal LGBT activist). LOL!

CONS:
-Ungodly expensive. In most major metropolitan areas the further you travel away from the city the less expensive the real estate becomes. This is no different in Metro DC, but the decline in real estate values is generally much less pronounced (at least on the NoVA side; the MD side offers more bang for your buck). Reston sits 20-22 miles, on average, from The District, and yet because our median household income is in the six-figures housing prices here are still largely unattainable to the middle-class. At age 23 I earn over $50,000 and am relegated to a rodent-infested 1-bedroom apartment in a questionable neighborhood, where my rent is still well over $1,000/month. The housing market here is very tilted in favor of dual-income households with very little to offer for singles like me who are now considering settling down here to raise families someday but are disconcerted at the thought of buying a $400,000 townhome on a sub-$100,000 salary. You always hear on this forum "prices will be what the market will bear", which is correct, but it's just very disappointing to realize how many here are in debt up to their eyeballs to maintain some semblance of a middle-class lifestyle.
-Scarcity of Sidewalks. While some roads are very well-lined with efficient sidewalks or can be supplanted by an adjacent trail, I've still found myself running in traffic in some stretches where sidewalks just abruptly end without rhyme or reason or where there are even limited shoulders. This is a sore point I have about this place, but it's still better than many other suburbs I've been to in that regard.
-Lack of Streetlights. Reston's dense foliage harbors wildlife---lots of it. It's odd to say you live in a community of 60,000 and need to use your high-beams at night because it's so dark you can't see anything. I'd expect this in the more rural portions of LoCo, for example, but not so close to the city.
-NIMBYism. You'll soon learn most people in Reston would prefer a new big-box store over a new high-rise and would prefer to build another 10-lane freeway over building the new rail line. I was formerly a very active participant in the community's long-range master-planning process but gave up when I realized I was being pushed out of the process by people who have limited knowledge of efficient urban planning but veiled that by spouting out big words. When I asked why people wanted to impose strict height restrictions when permitting fewer tall buildings to house more people would actually free up MORE open space to enjoy as opposed to twice as many buildings at half the height, it was like I suddenly made light bulbs go off above half of their heads. Perhaps nothing is dividing Reston more right now than this urban planning process as the community is split between the NIMBYs and those who know growth is inevitable and want to better manage it than we have done in the past.

I know this was lengthy, but overall this is how I feel about Reston. It's growing on me. I don't "hate" the place the way some people think I do (or the way I once projected myself to feel), but I do buck the trend in thinking there is a lot of room for improvement whereas others tell me "Don't like it? Move to Arlington, and don't let the door..." Reston's long-timers are very "protective" of the place, and I hope more of we newcomers can break down that pack mentality and help to craft a better community in the future.

-End soapbox.

LOL!

I just wanted to welcome you to Reston and give you some of my own insight into your upcoming hometown. Welcome!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 08-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Congratulations on your new job, katyusha, and best wishes in the new adventure!!!

And kudos to the other posters for such a warm and helpful thread of must-see stuff for a visitor. It was delightful to read that and to see how kindly katyusha was welcomed.
Seriously! I can't thank the folks enough on here for the help and tips they've given me <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I just wanted to welcome you to Reston and give you some of my own insight into your upcoming hometown. Welcome!
RestonRunner, thanks for taking the time to write out that amazing dissertation!

I love tree canopies more than anything. I don't know why. I love driving through them.

I know the cost of living here is really high, but fortunately for me, I'm coming from another high cost of living area, so hopefully I won't take too much of a hit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia