U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,152,312 times

Advertisements

It's with the company I currently work for, but whatever.

Anyway, I have about 2 entire days to check out the area to see how I like it. Other than the area I plan on living in (Reston), can anyone recommend "Must see" places for people looking to move there? Are there any places that sort of "sum up" Northern VA?

If it helps you (as I may have mentioned before) I'm single and in my early thirties, no children.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,648,598 times
Old Town Alexandria. Definitely.

Otherwise, specific events:

- There's an Asian Festival going on in Reston this weekend.
- Redskins Training Camp starts on Thursday (and goes through August 19) (Ashburn).

Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,838,249 times
What sort of things do you like to do? If you like gardens, I'd go to Meadowlark. If you like restaurants/coffeeshops/architecture, maybe an afternoon in Alexandria. (And of course, since you're interested in Reston, the Reston Town Center on a Saturday night).

If you like parks and hiking, I recommend going to Riverbend park and hiking down to Great Falls National park. If you like concerts, maybe a visit to Wolftrap National Park.

If you're pretty sure you're going to move here, I'd wait to do most of the touristy stuff (like going into DC) until after you move here since summer is a busy time.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks, folks!

Normie, I'm big into shopping (although that can wait if need be) and visiting towns with the little downtowns with the restaurants, stores, etc., all in one area.

I also just plan on driving around/through different towns (not necessarily getting out of the car) to see what places look like. Other than Old Town Alexandria, and RTC, any places worth driving through?

Also, I heard Tyson's Corner has an amazing mall?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Thanks, folks!

Normie, I'm big into shopping (although that can wait if need be) and visiting towns with the little downtowns with the restaurants, stores, etc., all in one area.

I also just plan on driving around/through different towns (not necessarily getting out of the car) to see what places look like. Other than Old Town Alexandria, and RTC, any places worth driving through?

Also, I heard Tyson's Corner has an amazing mall?
Occoquan and Middleburg are a little bit of a drive but are two neat little towns you might enjoy. As for Tyson's, where do you live right now? If there's a large mall near where you live now, Tyson's will be similar (and thus not that interesting). And Tyson's Corner is a bear to drive around right now due to construction, especially if you're not familiar with the area.

If you like grocery shopping, I'd stop by Wegman's. It's not only a great store, it's a fun place to walk around. Be sure to grab a sandwich and go up to the second floor where they have couches, tables, and primo people watching.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks, I'll look into those places! I'll google Wegman's, as well.

I currently live in Southern California, home to South Coast Plaza - the best mall, ever.
I tend to like the higher end places, and I heard Tyson's Corner has the higher end shopping.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into those places! I'll google Wegman's, as well.

I currently live in Southern California, home to South Coast Plaza - the best mall, ever.
I tend to like the higher end places, and I heard Tyson's Corner has the higher end shopping.
LOL, if you've been to South Coast Plaza then Tyson's is more or less the same. A little smaller but, pretty much the same shops.

By the way, I moved here from Redondo Beach. You'll find lots and lots of Californians here, especially in Reston and the suburbs west of there.

ps. Just a friendly FYI: Don't expect Nova to be like California. It isn't. In some ways they're similar, but this is very much an east coast city. If you really love-love-love California Nova might not be your cup of tea.

Last edited by normie; 07-26-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,648,598 times
If you like high-end shopping, you should go to the Tysons Galleria instead of Tysons Corner Center.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM

3,916 posts, read 5,376,548 times
Don't waste time on Middleburg -- it's cute as could be but if you're only here for a couple days, use your time more efficiently. You need to see how life would be. Two days sounds like a lot but traffic in NoVa is horrendous so you don't want to stray too far and eat up time.

Yes, Tyson's is the best! (There's actually two Tysons -- the orginial Tysons Corner Shopping Center and The Galleria which has the really high end shopping). You could spend two days just there!

I'd second Old Town as a fun place but I'd concentrate on the "everyday things" you will be doing. Wegman's, okay, everyone grocery shops but how about hobbies. Do you play golf? Check out a something like Reston National or Brambleton. Tennis? Bowling? etc -- what is your main hobby that will lead to making friends? That's what you need to check out.

Also, any particular religion? Check out one or two congregations.

Also, consider joining something like Junior League. Great way to meet other young women.

Best of luck and congratulations on the job.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,932,144 times
Since you like shopping and meeting friends at coffee shops and that sort of thing, I'd spend a few hours at Reston Town Center, a few hours at Ballston, and a few hours in Clarendon. In all three places, I'd do the things you normally love to do. One of those three places is probably where you'll end up wanting to live, so this is a good time to compare the differences and see what appeals to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia