U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,185 times

Advertisements

I know there has been threads on pest companies, but tell me what to expect, other than the offer to take care of the problem for a cost, from a termite inspection. We have never had reason to believe we've had a problem, never noticed anything but last week a guy was here to measure for a side door we're putting in and he pointed out some wood damage near our front door sill that he said looked like termite damage. So, I got two national companies coming out in the next two days to do termite inspections. I have no doubt they will manage to find something and will be very willing to give us service, for a price. I'm not signing anything now, and also want to check with more local, small companies (suggestions?). I want to hear what each of them say, and would also love to hear from the experts here on what to look for and expect. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,375,349 times
Not an expert but here is what I have seen...

I work for a real estate company and we use Superior. I have seen PLENTY of reports where they say nothing is wrong and some where they find things.

Some others in the office have used Barrier...they are local and I believe a smaller company. I have never used them but the buyers of my home did and the report came back negative.

I wouldn't assume everyone is just going to find something wrong. Sounds like there probably IS a problem if you have some wood rot or damaged wood.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,185 times
Thanks. I'm trying not to be a cynic to this, but would wonder if there is always a problem found, although I tend to agree with you, I am wondering if we do. Now my concern is what do I listen for and how do I decide what is true and valid vs a sales pitch (which I do know to expect).

Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,900,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Thanks. I'm trying not to be a cynic to this, but would wonder if there is always a problem found, although I tend to agree with you, I am wondering if we do. Now my concern is what do I listen for and how do I decide what is true and valid vs a sales pitch (which I do know to expect).

I'm always cynical when it comes to national companies. Somebody has to pay for all those slick TV commercials....and it ain't gonna be me.

But local doesn't mean good either...I learned that with Connor's. I recommend Ward's Pest Control.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,375,349 times
Have two or three companies come out and see what they all say. If they all say the same thing, then you probably have that issue. If they all say something different, then you may have to think things through.

Good luck! I actually used Superior for ant protection and I loved my guy. I had them come out quarterly for $85 each quarter, but they would come for free in between and they never once gave me a gripe about it.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,269,534 times
I used Superior to do the inspection when I bought my investment property. Then I got the bank to pay for a termite treatment since Superior found one of the sill plates had termite damage. I pay $100 a year for them to come out and inspect to keep the warranty in place. If they find any signs they'll do a treatment covered under the warranty.

They have other pest services but I haven't used them for those. The guys they send out are always on time or call when they're running a bit late. Also they don't try to push unneeded services. For example he mentioned there are spiders in my crawl space, but nothing to worry about. If it made a difference to me, I could just spray with common products from the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia