U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times

Advertisements

Be sure to check whether your potential employer offers a Metro subsidy. That can make a difference in your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Can you live decently here on 77K as a family of 3? Yes. Would I do it, personally? No. But you aren't me.

The good thing about renting is that you can try it for a year and if the place doesn't suit you or the job isn't as you dreamed, you can move on.

Studies show that people more often regret NOT doing things than doing them, in the long run. You'll never know unless you try, but if you don't try, you may wonder forever, "what if?"

The only sticking point is what you mean by "near Metro." You probably can't find a nice 2 br apartment in walking distance from Metro in a good neighborhood for $1500. But if you're willing to add some more time to the commute by taking a bus to Metro, then your options increase considerably.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 AM

186 posts, read 424,323 times
...I was a single mom living in Vienna with 3 children...I rented a small house and had 1 car...I made 60K and paid $1000 month for child care and was able to live here..albeit on a very tight budget, we did not have cable. But as time went on I made more money, got remarried and bought a house in the same neighboorhood and so my girls lived in a wonderful neighborhood went to great schools and made nice friends.

The time and cost of commuting in this area is worth considering...get a map and mark your place of employment and than draw a 10 mile radius from there...that commute can take from 20 minutes to over an hour depending on the time of day and direction of traffic not to mention the never ending construction and weather issues...

Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 AM

13,027 posts, read 19,853,706 times
If the job is in Tenleytown then it doesn't make any sense to live in Vienna or Fairfax. That's an awful commute. Look in Maryland.

Near a Metro is hard to afford, but if you can handle a short bus ride then the possibilities open up.

We live on 50K in this area so 77K is doable.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 16,564 times
[SIZE=3]I want to thank everybody for your responses! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We decided not to move to DC because like some responses pointed out it would be a struggle for a while, probably for couple of years. Even though I like DC we decided it’s not worthed to downgrade our lifestyle so much just to live in DC.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia