U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 8,033 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Herndon. I have 2 high school age boys who currently attend a private school. I need to find a really good high school in the area that offers many AP choices. I am assuming the high schools are very large. One on my sons has a minor disability, therefore a smaller school to navigate is better.

I am looking for a safe neighborhood with a little breathing room. (I currently live on 3 acres) We would like to keep the commute within 40 minutes if possible. Is there such an area in the $600,000-$700,000 range. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM

3,896 posts, read 5,346,273 times
You're probably going to have a tough time getting into the good private schools at this late date. There is a yellow, soft cover book available in local books stores. I can't remember the exact title but it is a guide to all the private schools in the DC area. Washingtonian magazine also publishes a guide every year. You may be able to get a back issue at a library or calling the magazine directly.

Your best bet might be a private school placement counselor. Your current school should be able to contact one. There is one called Georgia Irvin and Associates that has been around forever, but I've never used them.

And, you didn't say where you're relocating from and obviously have a good income, but the price of private tuitions in DC may be a bit of a shock. Plan on a minimum of $28-30,000 for each child for the good ones. Even more if you're looking for special needs.

You'll have lots of options in your price range but not on acreage closer in. You may want to look further out in Loudoun County (especially, Purcellville/Round Hill) -- some in that price range (though probably smaller lots) and fairly good public schools, if you have to go that route. It's still an easy commute to Herndon.

Loudoun Valley High School was just broken up into two schools so it's a little smaller than some of the ones closer in. The other one in Western Loudoun is called Woodgrove.

Good luck.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 08-02-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,845 times
Your best bet will be the Leesburg-Hamilton area. There is a good selection of homes in your price range on 1 acre plus lots. You could also find homes in Purcellville, Round Hill, and Lovettsville but I don't believe they would fall in the 40 minutes to Herndon range. The schools in Loudoun County are good, most are 1200 to 1500 hundred pupils and the student/teacher ratio is +/- 1:19 or 20. Go to homesdatabase.com, it has a great map feature that allow you to center on an area and then zoom in or out to include other areas. I am not familiar with private schools in the area but you can check out the public high schools on the Loudoun County public school site for AP classes and SAT scores.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks for your responses, I am thinking of moving to public schools at this point so I want to make sure it's a good high school so I don't lose their wonderful education they have received so far. We are transferring from Michigan.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM

219 posts, read 410,686 times
mimom3 - this site has up-to-date house sale and rental information. We used it when relocating here from California and found it invaluable.

www.homesdatabase.com

I support the advice you received about location - look in Loudoun county. Because he will be working in Chantilly, he can avoid much of the most onerous commuting which for some people who work close in, makes Loudoun unattractive.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,636,569 times
Yes, if you want breathing room - Loudoun is the place. It's a beautiful area!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,781,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
. . . but I don't believe they would fall in the 40 minutes to Herndon range.
The commute to Chantilly and/or Herndon from Round Hill, Purcellville, etc. is definitely do-able, depending on what time the commute occurs and if they take the Dulles Greenway. To me, it's worth the $4.25 to avoid Rte 7.

OP, good luck with finding a new home!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 AM

How is the commute to Herndon from Vienna? I am looking at either Oakton HS or Madison HS. I am a little worried that these schools are very big. I have read on these forums that Oakton is very clicky. Having a child with disablilites (minor) in such a large school scares me.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM

2,671 posts, read 4,524,961 times
The public schools are generally very good in Loudoun, Fairfax, and Falls Church City (given the area you are considering). You could get a small high school in Falls Church City. However, housing is much more expensive there and the lot sizes are smaller (due to proximity to DC). So you wouldn't get the other things on your priority list.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,852,182 times
How about Countryside? The homes are a little smaller and less expensive, but the lots tend to be bigger. It's very convenient to shopping and Rt. 7. And Potomac Falls High School is a great school, IMO.

Also, I'm not sure what disabilities your child has but the walk to PFHS is away from the road and doesn't have steps or difficult places to navigate, as far as I can recall. You're also right next to Algonkian Park, which is great for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia