U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,786 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the posts here for the last week. We are considering moving to the area with my husband working in Chantilly. We haven't decided where we will live yet. I have read through all the data on all of the public high schools and don't see any schools with enrollments less than 1200 kids or so. We are moving from a town with a population of about 1200 where the kids go to high school in the next town over. That high school only has about 400 kids or so. I am worried about putting my daughter into a school that is such a drastic change from what we are used to. Does anyone know of any high schools that have a smaller enrollment then 1200 students? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellerenaejohnson View Post
I have been reading the posts here for the last week. We are considering moving to the area with my husband working in Chantilly. We haven't decided where we will live yet. I have read through all the data on all of the public high schools and don't see any schools with enrollments less than 1200 kids or so. We are moving from a town with a population of about 1200 where the kids go to high school in the next town over. That high school only has about 400 kids or so. I am worried about putting my daughter into a school that is such a drastic change from what we are used to. Does anyone know of any high schools that have a smaller enrollment then 1200 students? Thanks for your help.
I don't think there are any in Fairfax County. But remember, a large high school does not mean class sizes will be larger, and a small high school does not mean that class sizes will be smaller. If you want a small school, I'm afraid you would have to look at private school.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM

216 posts, read 560,064 times
George Mason in Falls Church is considered small. The City of Falls Church has its own small (very well regarded) school system.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,053,303 times
H-B Woodlawn is a public "alternative" secondary school in Arlington County serving about 500 students in grades 6-12. Here is information on the admission process, which involves a lottery. H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program | Application Process (http://www2.apsva.us/156420101913515050/site/default.asp?1564Nav=|&NodeID=919 - broken link) It's a great program for the right kids, but there are no guarantees of enrollment.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
Prince William County has one high school that has 800+ kids (Potomac High School). It's not a "well rated" high school but those that have used it said that the small size is the one "plus" for it.

If you are really concerned about small high schools, you may want to consider private high school. Bishop Ireton (Catholic but many non-Catholics attend) has about 800 students. The other two (O'Connell and PVI are at about 1300 and 1100 respectively). The newest Catholic school (John Paul the Great) has about 400 right now but will hit 1,000 when they are full.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildinginva View Post
George Mason in Falls Church is considered small. The City of Falls Church has its own small (very well regarded) school system.
Good call! There are about 800 students in George Mason High School in Falls Church. It is a quasi-urban environment, however. I'm guessing that since you are coming from a town of 1200 people, it's probably pretty rural. Falls Church City is a nice city, though, and the schools are well-respected.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,726,358 times
Nothing to worry about. I bet your daughter will like the advantages of a large school (e.g., more options for friends, extra-curricular activities, and courses). I went from a very small high school to a large university and preferred the latter.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,635,379 times
If you're looking for a public high school in NoVa, I think your best bet is to look at some of the smaller high schools in Loudoun County with enrollments between 1200-1500 students. Your spouse would have a decent commute to Chantilly (in fact, parts of Chantilly are in Loudoun County, while other parts are in Fairfax County).

The high schools in Fairfax County (particularly the western part of the county) typically have more students. There is George Mason in the City of Falls Church, but homes in that area are expensive because of the comparatively short commute to DC - which you don't need. With the money you'd spend on a house in the City in Falls Church, you could probably get a larger house further out and still have the extra money to spend on private school tuition if you wanted to do so.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,053,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
With the money you'd spend on a house in the City in Falls Church, you could probably get a larger house further out and still have the extra money to spend on private school tuition if you wanted to do so.
That is an excellent point. I had not focused on the Chantilly job. Although most of the private high school options are in the closer-in communities.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,075,400 times
How important is a short commute and living close to the city? Maybe somewhere in the country like Fauquier county? I know nothing about their schools but further out in the country might be an option. But yes I honestly wouldn't worry about it your daughter will be just fine. Either way welcome to VA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia