U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM

173 posts, read 500,727 times

Advertisements

Have had Dish for 11+ years and am growing increasingly frustrated with their declining customer service. Today I get a letter in the mail saying that I need to get my equipment upgraded or it will no longer work. They'll do it for free, of course, but I'll need to sign on for a 2-year commitment, which I have no intention of doing. It looks like Fios will be available to us within the next 6-9 months, so I don't want a long-term commitment.

Meanwhile, I'm getting conflicting information from Dish about when, and even if, my equipment will truly become nonfunctional.

So my options are to stay with Dish and hope I'm still able to get service until Fios comes out, or to jump ship and go with Comcast, which, from what I understand, does not require a commitment. I've heard so many nightmare stories about Comcast that I'm hesitant to go this route, however, they do offer an excellent promo price (and by the time it expires, Fios should be up and kicking).

Thoughts? Ideas? Would love to hear everyone's experiences with Comcast... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM

23,570 posts, read 33,297,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
Have had Dish for 11+ years and am growing increasingly frustrated with their declining customer service. Today I get a letter in the mail saying that I need to get my equipment upgraded or it will no longer work. They'll do it for free, of course, but I'll need to sign on for a 2-year commitment, which I have no intention of doing. It looks like Fios will be available to us within the next 6-9 months, so I don't want a long-term commitment.

Meanwhile, I'm getting conflicting information from Dish about when, and even if, my equipment will truly become nonfunctional.

So my options are to stay with Dish and hope I'm still able to get service until Fios comes out, or to jump ship and go with Comcast, which, from what I understand, does not require a commitment. I've heard so many nightmare stories about Comcast that I'm hesitant to go this route, however, they do offer an excellent promo price (and by the time it expires, Fios should be up and kicking).

Thoughts? Ideas? Would love to hear everyone's experiences with Comcast... Thanks!
Comcast is GARBAGE!!! Horrid customer service, unreliable equipment, very overpriced. The only reason we got them back in NoVA was due to our apt facing the wrong way so we couldn't get DirecTV.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,355,731 times
I HATE Comcast. Don't even get me started. 1 1/2 phone call, hung up on 3 times, and it still didn't get resolved. I swear they hide charges and lie. BUT they are still cheaper than Verizon...I would switch but it was like a $50 difference for the same type of service. My Father-In-Law has Cox and I think he is happy with it...Just wish we had it in our area. We had Time Warner in other areas and it was fine. but Comcast...they are awful.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM

11,367 posts, read 20,163,370 times
If you are in Alex. City you are screwed, neighbor today told me she switched "she thought" from Comcast to the Verizon/DTV bundle but it never happened, she finally got an answer - the "C.O." is full! (whatever that means) which means Verizon cannot offer any service (none is available/left) - so she has to go back to Comcast (and isn't happy).

Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
I don't like Comcast much, but since you only want it for a year max then why not try it?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM

4,226 posts, read 8,041,856 times
We have DISH here in the mtns of western NC, (no cable available), and we have
Comcast in our SW FL joint. Your question is almost like asking which party is
worse, the Dems or Repubs, lol! Everyone will have an opin...

We have had DISH here for 9 years and, it's been spotty to crummy. We finally got
them to upgrade our receiver and, after a $100 tech visit, re-position the dish,
tune up the deal, etc., it is now OK to good, but it took years of near threats...
they could not have cared less and, blamed everything on "us".

Our Comcast in Naples, FL, is nearly bulletproof, for high speed internet, phone
and HD/DVR TV. It's a tad pricey, and it takes a few calls to get them to fire
up the service properly, as we are seasonal, but it is very good quality, imo.

Let me sum: If I had access to Comcast, (or nearly any cable company I've
experienced), I would not have DISH or Direct or, any sat. Just my 50cts.

If you think you are getting FIOS, grab a new customer Comcrap deal and
enjoy it, until the FIOS gets to you, imo.
GL, mD

Old 08-02-2010, 06:08 PM

113 posts, read 171,024 times
When comcast works they're okay, however pray you never have to deal with their customer service. Comcast in PWC also seem to use the crappiest equipment around.

I'd check to see if FIOS is available in your area first. If not and you need high-speed internet, switch to these fools.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM

113 posts, read 171,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Our Comcast in Naples, FL, is nearly bulletproof, for high speed internet, phone
GL, mD
Customer service various greatly with them, depending on location. Up in the nova neck, they're utterly useless and indifferent. Took me over 30 calls to have a telephone issue resolved with their voice product. Not one rep took ownership (initiative) to deal with the problem. Thankfully we don't have Time Warner here, as they seem to be real idiots.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,546,268 times
Sometimes I long for the simpler times of my childhood when all you needed was a TV and an antenna on your roof...that my Dad always had to climb up the roof to adjust

Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,556,888 times
I LOVED having comcast. I had it all throughout college, and for 3 years in Arlington/Alexandria. Cheapest prices, most reliable service, and nicest customer service people. We can't get it anymore here (springfield), so I called fios to look into that, and their customer service people were incredibly rude to me. My husband called back a few hours later and they hung up on him because he didn't want to give them his social security number (we were just inquiring about rates).

We ended up going with Dish because I didn't want to give my business to verizon after that. If I could go back to comcast tomorrow though, I would. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia