Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm144 View Post
Is Tysons corner supposed to be special? I was actually embarrassed to have my relatives from abroad visit and see that old mall when they wanted to shop for a thing or two.

Ironically short pump and Stoney point are the two malls I drove them down to shop at.
Which mall complex are you referring to? Tysons Galleria I & II has the biggest collection of upscale shopping in the area. Tysons Corner Center may be a half-step behind the Gallerias but is popular as well.

Nothing against those Richmond malls - especially since I have yet to visit them - but I would predict that most Northern Virginians would sooner patronize Tysons Corner than trek down there.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
I have to ask, what is it with the attitude in the 'NoVA' area? Attitude being that so many think they are better than everyone else and Gods gift to humanity - let alone America. Also meaning you'd think NoVA is the world's best city; well you have to be a city to quality for that, rather than just a collection of counties that pretend the other does not exist.

Based on attitude, one would seriously assume Manhattan, Beverly Hills, Hamptons, Aspen have nothing on NoVA. The area acts like it's better than 95% of the country, let alone state. Too bad most have never heard of the area.

I've traveled throughout that state and have to say that there is more to do in Richmond, VA than NoVA. They also have 100 fold better malls - with two being outdoor - and people that are actually friendly. NoVA just seems to have large homes and traffic, perhaps you need them with so little to do.

Surely it cannot be the money, considering most are not earning that much and the property prices are relatively cheap in comparison to what I am used to overseas. Do not want to offend anyone but am curious about why this is versus the rest of the country.
I haven't experienced this and I've lived here since '93. Of course, in my profession I have no illusions of ever being "rich" nor do I try to act it and in 17 years I have never been to Georgetown, have been to Tysons Mall once, and lived in PW County for almost 16 years (Woodbridge and then Manassas) before moving to West Springfield. The majority of the people I work with and my neighbors (yes, we DO know our neighbors by name, like them, and do things socially with them) are very down to earth, friendly people.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM

170 posts, read 583,043 times
Quote:
Is Tysons corner supposed to be special? I was actually embarrassed to have my relatives from abroad visit and see that old mall when they wanted to shop for a thing or two.

Ironically short pump and Stoney point are the two malls I drove them down to shop at.
Really? Wow.

Stoney Point & Short Pump are nice, but Tysons has so much more variety. Just go look in the shoe department at Nordstroms and compare to what they have at the Nordstroms in Richmond! Also, you could have gone to the outlet mall at Potomac Mills or the Leesburg Outlet near the Dulles airport for lower prices or more options.

I'll throw you a bone though, sounds like you need a balance from all the hussle bussle. Check out some parks like Great Falls Park, bring a camera, go for a jog. Go early in the morning when there are no people on the road or in the park. Check out the international cuisine in the DC area. That's one of things I miss most about not living in DC. Also, do what most people do and get the hell out of NoVa on the weekends. Go to Baltimore, go to Virginia Beach. Lastly, check out some of the jazz clubs in DC like Blues Alley and then go check out Icehouse in Reston. Don't get caught up in everyone else's stuff.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 PM

113 posts, read 190,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

I think Northern Virginia is the most overrated area of the country. The attitudes of locals are proof.
The price is certainly not reflective of quality of life, that's for sure. The cost of living, ridiculous commute time, antiquated mass transit and boring communities are not worth the going salaries.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
The price is certainly not reflective of quality of life, that's for sure. The cost of living, ridiculous commute time, antiquated mass transit and boring communities are not worth the going salaries.

I'm curious. Where are you from?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
klm144,

It might be useful as a reference point if you would share with us where you currently live here and where you used to live overseas.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
The thing about NYC is that it's a world renowned (active) hustle and bustle city, therefore, the cocky attitude is understandable; not some federal / military contractor town. The largest demographic here, my guess being 35 to 50 (with kids), seems to be in a rush to get to their local Giant or Costco store.

I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar every time someone drove aggressively and sped up to get to some store. People seem to assume aggressive driving makes them important or special.
You do realize that a lot of those people driving aggressively here in NoVa used to live in NY and NJ and drove that way there?

And that not all the people hustling and bustling in NYC are Masters of the Universe on Wall Street, but regular people with regular jobs like you find here?

I don't like rude dangerous drivers, either, but I don't equate such driving habits as indicative that the driver is, outside of their car, someone who cannot relate normally or decently with others, or thinks they are better than everyone.

You seem to assume a lot about others.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
People seem to assume aggressive driving makes them important or special.
Actually you have it backwards. It's our importance and specialness that entitles us to drive aggressively. The future of the free world is riding on us!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You seem to assume a lot about others.
Who in particular am I assuming anything about?

Admit it or not, there is a prevailing attitude in NoVA, based on a false (erroneous) assumption of an elevated (grandiose) self-importance.

Last edited by klm144; 08-02-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually you have it backwards. It's our importance and specialness that entitles us to drive aggressively. The future of the free world is riding on us!
Avid fox news viewer I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia