U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm144 View Post
Avid fox news viewer I see.
Excuse me? We don't watch the news, we make it.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM

113 posts, read 171,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Do not tell me you work for the armed forces.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,526,279 times
Quote:
I have to ask, what is it with the attitude in the 'NoVA' area? Attitude being that so many think they are better than everyone else and Gods gift to humanity - let alone America. Also meaning you'd think NoVA is the world's best city; well you have to be a city to quality for that, rather than just a collection of counties that pretend the other does not exist.

Based on attitude, one would seriously assume Manhattan, Beverly Hills, Hamptons, Aspen have nothing on NoVA. The area acts like it's better than 95% of the country, let alone state. Too bad most have never heard of the area.

I've traveled throughout that state and have to say that there is more to do in Richmond, VA than NoVA. They also have 100 fold better malls - with two being outdoor - and people that are actually friendly. NoVA just seems to have large homes and traffic, perhaps you need them with so little to do.

Surely it cannot be the money, considering most are not earning that much and the property prices are relatively cheap in comparison to what I am used to overseas. Do not want to offend anyone but am curious about why this is versus the rest of the country.
I suspect that if you genuinely did not want to offend, you would have phrased your questions in a less offensive manner.

There have been many threads about the "NOVA attitude", and yes, some people in the DC Metro area seem to have an air of self-importance that is not very attractive. Perhaps a logical reason for this is that DC is the capital of the most powerful country in the world.

But not everyone buys into that attitude. I have met some of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever known right here in NOVA. I have also met some real jerks. That's life.

What would make an interesting study is to identify individuals with the "NOVA attitude", and then find out where they lived before moving here.

Meanwhile, if the "NOVA attitude" bothers you to a sufficient degree, then for your own peace of mind - and if your situation allows - you might want to investigate the possibility of relocation.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM

170 posts, read 513,697 times
Quote:
lol! lamest response i've ever read on citydata forums

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM

8,558 posts, read 12,638,406 times
I think the problem with comparing NoVA to Richmond is that it's not an apples to apples comparison. Richmond is a city with suburbs. DC is a city, and NoVA is part of its suburbs. NoVA is not a central city like Richmond. Most people move to this area for what DC has to offer not what NoVA has to offer. But NoVA is where people live in order to take advantage of the nation's capital. I think Richmond is a nice city, and as the capital of Virginia has a lot to offer as well. If one likes smaller cities, then Richmond would appeal. If one likes bigger cities, then DC would be better. They are different places - one not better than the other.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 PM

5,331 posts, read 6,127,723 times
Quote:
Who in particular am I assuming anything about? Admit it or not, there is a prevailing attitude in NoVA, based on a false (erroneous) assumption of self importance.
And you know this how? From the way they drive? From their behavior not being appropriate in your opinion for their lowly government, Costco-shopping lives?

I say the erroneous assumption is yours.

Quote:
Suffice to say, I know a thing or two about cities.
As well as arrogance.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
As well as arrogance.
I just wanted to know why you guys (NoVAites) are arrogant. Furthermore, how you justify your arrogance and overinflated self-worth.

If you are republican, then it's wealth and power. If you are Democrat... well not too sure what they like.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,496,720 times
Yikes! It's time for this thread to go down under!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
lol! lamest response i've ever read on citydata forums
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. However, this is one of the lamest threads I've ever read on here.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. However, this is one of the lamest threads I've ever read on here.
Unlike NoVA, because there is just so much to do around here. Perhaps even go into DC, if one desires to acquire a taste for lead.

When young adults are not shopping at apparently the best mall on the east coat (Tysons), they are probably busy soaking up the phenomenal nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia