U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM

113 posts, read 170,982 times

Advertisements

I have to ask, what is it with the attitude in the 'NoVA' area? Attitude being that so many think they are better than everyone else and Gods gift to humanity - let alone America. Also meaning you'd think NoVA is the world's best city; well you have to be a city to quality for that, rather than just a collection of counties that pretend the other does not exist.

Based on attitude, one would seriously assume Manhattan, Beverly Hills, Hamptons, Aspen have nothing on NoVA. The area acts like it's better than 95% of the country, let alone state. Too bad most have never heard of the area.

I've traveled throughout that state and have to say that there is more to do in Richmond, VA than NoVA. They also have 100 fold better malls - with two being outdoor - and people that are actually friendly. NoVA just seems to have large homes and traffic, perhaps you need them with so little to do.

Surely it cannot be the money, considering most are not earning that much and the property prices are relatively cheap in comparison to what I am used to overseas. Do not want to offend anyone but am curious about why this is versus the rest of the country.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,544,518 times
What happened today? Got your feelings hurt?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM

170 posts, read 513,249 times
A lot of new comers find it hard to fit in, so I understand your frustration. You have a constant inflow of educated people filling government related jobs that pay out the ass but people only work 30 hour work weeks in reality. You represent where you come from, so a lot of people think they need to impress others and show them who they are and what education and background they have. There is so much diversity, people just start comparing by default. The **** storm of traffic makes people plan more and have structured lifestyles, which means people take time very seriously. Do not waste other people's time. It's fast paced for a reason. People have **** to do and everyone is trying to do it at once. The metro is always delayed and their is always contruction. So it is a combination of money, but you know what, after you see 100 Mercedes a day, they start to not stand out and they become less and less impressive. As for things to do, it really depends on your hobbies. After living in both Richmond and DC, they both have pros and cons.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
There's an old saying that Washington is Hollywood for ugly people. Lots of rather insecure people and plenty of nouveau riche adds up to that arrogance (just to hide the insecurity). Best to just walk away.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
What happened today? Got your feelings hurt?
No, I am just curious to hear what the NoVAites have to say. Unfortuntaely I tried asking colleagues from other parts of the country prior to moving here but most have never heard of NoVA.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
There's an old saying that Washington is Hollywood for ugly people. Lots of rather insecure people and plenty of nouveau riche adds up to that arrogance (just to hide the insecurity). Best to just walk away.
I totally agree. IMO, there is a lot of bull****ters in NoVa, politics aside. Most people move into Nova post college and move out before age 30.

I like the hollywood analogy though, but how does Nova Attitude compare to other metropolitan area attitudes? New York?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Around here, those who are concerned about status-consciousness compare their place on the career totem pole to others in the Federal Government and, to a lesser degree, its related private contractors and perhaps the high-tech sector mostly near Dulles Airport.

While home prices may not quite be at the level of those areas you mentioned, Northern Virginia as a whole is definitely one of the more expensive housing markets in the country, driven by the supply of homes which is outstripped by the demand by workers relocating for the steady if not often booming job market. In fact, one could say that Northern Virginia is the job engine of the entire DC region.

It's true that, like most suburban areas in the US, NOVA has its fair share of formulaic, sometimes functional strip malls. I don't pretend to know Richmond malls at all...but have you ever been to Tysons Galleria I and II? The Tysons Corner Center? Quaint shopping areas such as Old Town Alexandria. Or mildly "funky" ones like Del Ray, also in Alexandria?

My understanding was that much of NOVA was farmland as recently as 30 years ago. The state agressively pursued businesses to open or relocate here and the housing market grew in response with aesthetically pleasing retail centers as an afterthought.

Now all this is not to excuse the attitudes of some people here - this certainly isn't the first discussion we've had about it on this forum - but it is perhaps an explanation of why ambitious Federal workers as well private "hired guns" may determine their interactions with someone depending on how they answer the introductory question, "So...what do you do for a living?"

Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
Most people move into Nova post college and move out before age 30.
There are quite a lot of old looking 29 years olds I see around here.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-02-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: your concern would be better expressed by the suggestions on my signature

Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
I totally agree. IMO, there is a lot of bull****ters in NoVa, politics aside. Most people move into Nova post college and move out before age 30.

I like the hollywood analogy though, but how does Nova Attitude compare to other metropolitan area attitudes? New York?
The thing about NYC is that it's a world renowned (active) hustle and bustle city, therefore, the cocky attitude is understandable; not some federal / military contractor town. The largest demographic here, my guess being 35 to 50 (with kids), seems to be in a rush to get to their local Giant or Costco store.

I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar every time someone drove aggressively and sped up to get to some store. People seem to assume aggressive driving makes them important or special.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There are quite a lot of old looking 29 years olds I see around here.
Are you saying you have a recommendation for a Botox doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia