U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,773,174 times

Advertisements

Today is National Parks Day. Did you know we have two national parks right here in northern Virginia? We have Great Falls National Park, and also Wolftrap.

I remember when Wolftrap was built. At the time, people were really excited about it. I knew people in Cleveland who would drive all the way to Virginia just to check it out. Now we're so used to it we often forget it's there.

Just wondering... when was the last time you went to one of our nearby national parks? And what did you do there--go hiking? kayaking? picnic? or just stretch out on a sunny rock to enjoy a pretty place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,823,498 times
I go to Great Falls a lot. I don't go to Wolftrap that often, although I like it. I really like the free concert with the fireworks that they have to kick off the season. Some years that's the only thing I go to.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 36,813 times
I work for the Park Service; a lot of people don't realize that DC has dozens of National parks; including the Mall and the white house, so chances are you've been to a national park recently, you just didn't know

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,641,769 times
Prince William Forest Park is a nice place to go, especially in the fall.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,773,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Prince William Forest Park is a nice place to go, especially in the fall.
Yes!!! One of these days I'm going to have to take some photos there.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,007,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Today is National Parks Day. Did you know we have two national parks right here in northern Virginia? We have Great Falls National Park, and also Wolftrap.
Don't forget the GW Parkway. I hear the Park Police are handing out speeding tickets to mark the occasion.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,823,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Don't forget the GW Parkway. I hear the Park Police are handing out speeding tickets to mark the occasion.
If you get a ticket on GW Parkway on National Parks Day, does the officer draw little balloons and stars on it?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,007,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you get a ticket on GW Parkway on National Parks Day, does the officer draw little balloons and stars on it?
And then they have a little party for you at this nice building in Alexandria.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,633,603 times
We went to Harpers Ferry National Park this morning; it was lovely as usual. And I've been on the GW Parkway about 4 times this week.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 AM

664 posts, read 1,618,742 times
I am a HUGE fan of National Parks!

Many national parks also have a "Junior Ranger" program--kids can complete activity booklets (some of the parks have easy ones, but some are actually pretty complex!) to become "Junior Rangers". Upon completion of the book, they bring it to a ranger who will "swear them in" as Junior Ranger and give them a badge. My kids have a couple dozen badges from parks all over the country--Yosemite, Bryce Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Mammoth Cave, Steamtown are just a few. For most parks, this Junior Ranger program is free with admission, but a few have charged a small fee (Yosemite is one that comes to mind).

We're traveling right now, in fact. We just spent the last several days in Acadia National Park in Maine and will be visiting Minuteman (Concord and Lexington in Massachusetts) tommorrow.

Some National Parks are free, but many charge admission. You can buy an annual pass for $80 that will allow you admission to National parks around the country for free.
But there are also several days each year where National Parks entrance are free--next weekend (August 14-15) will be fee-free days
U.S. National Park Service Free Entrance Days in Your National Parks

Oh! Another good local one in the National Parks system not mentioned here yet is Bull Run/Manassas Battlefield!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia