Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,863 times

Advertisements

Have been offered a job in DC and live in South Alexandria. My hours would be 9 to 5:30. Can anyone tell me how long I can expect the commute to take. I would be driving. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Do you know what part of DC? And by "South Alexandria", do you mean somewhere around Huntington or further down Route 1/Richmond Highway? Or do you mean Kingstowne?

For example, if you did live off Route 1, you'd take that over into Alexandria proper, make a left on Washington St. which becomes George Washington Parkway and eventually bear right onto the 14th Street Bridge into DC. Technically, that shouldn't take more than a half-hour. But because this is a traffic-choked area through which you'll be traversing at its peak, it could be double that.

If at all possible, consider parking your car at the Metrorail lot and taking the train. Despite recent complaints about service and fare hikes, it would be relatively less of a hassle to get to work at that peak time, especially since you would be at or near the endpoints of the Blue and Yellow Lines.

If driving is still necessary or strongly preferred, consider negotiating for an earlier or later start time. Even one hour will make a world of difference.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,863 times
Thanks much. From Kingstowne area to Archives station. I am closer to Huntington station. Wouldn't parking be full at that time in the morning?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I think the Franconia/Springfield station would be closer to Kingstowne. You can switch to the yellow line at King St.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think the Franconia/Springfield station would be closer to Kingstowne. You can switch to the yellow line at King St.
Van Dorn is pretty close to Kingstowne as well ...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 32,429 times
I am currently looking at townhomes in Kingstowne and will need to commute to the Archives metro too. Does anyone know if driving from Kingstowne to the Huntington metro during rush hour has a lot of traffic, or is it an ok drive....if so, about how long does it take. Thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpunk View Post
I am currently looking at townhomes in Kingstowne and will need to commute to the Archives metro too. Does anyone know if driving from Kingstowne to the Huntington metro during rush hour has a lot of traffic, or is it an ok drive....if so, about how long does it take. Thanks
Well , you could take a sort of "backroads" route via Franconia Rd. But for all of that, you may as well heed the advice of the post above yours and drive to either of the Van Dorn or Franconia-Springfield stations. The transfer to the Yellow Line would be shorter (~ 4 minute wait or less) than the extra drive to Huntington.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Well , you could take a sort of "backroads" route via Franconia Rd. But for all of that, you may as well heed the advice of the post above yours and drive to either of the Van Dorn or Franconia-Springfield stations. The transfer to the Yellow Line would be shorter (~ 4 minute wait or less) than the extra drive to Huntington.
I also recommend using Van Dorn or Springfield station over Huntington for Kingstowne residents, with a nod given to Springfield. Van Dorn Ave can get really clogged going down the hill to Eisenhower. As for Huntington, going down Franconia to Telegraph can be ok, but I've heard that the stretch of Telegraph Rd that you'd have to travel to N. Kings or Huntington can be packed at that time of day.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I also recommend using Van Dorn or Springfield station over Huntington for Kingstowne residents, with a nod given to Springfield. Van Dorn Ave can get really clogged going down the hill to Eisenhower. As for Huntington, going down Franconia to Telegraph can be ok, but I've heard that the stretch of Telegraph Rd that you'd have to travel to N. Kings or Huntington can be packed at that time of day.
I go down Telegraph and the road's not bad. There are lights and dummies trying to make left hand turns that slow things down, as well as buses and school children that you have to wait for, but it's not a road I'd specifically avoid. I'm not sure what N. Kings Hwy looks like.

That said, with any commute you spend the first couple weeks experimenting, trying different routes and combinations. You have lots of options, none of which are horrible, so you could perfect it quickly.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I go down Telegraph and the road's not bad. There are lights and dummies trying to make left hand turns that slow things down, as well as buses and school children that you have to wait for, but it's not a road I'd specifically avoid. I'm not sure what N. Kings Hwy looks like.

That said, with any commute you spend the first couple weeks experimenting, trying different routes and combinations. You have lots of options, none of which are horrible, so you could perfect it quickly.
Ok - I'd just heard of getting stuck from a friend who commutes from further south on Telegraph to Alexandria, and a friend who takes his kid to Browne Academy. They say there are good days, and then there are bad. But at least it's not such a far stretch of road to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia