Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 18,896 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Ive been trolling these forums lately as they have a wealth of information, but I want to officially introduce myself and ask a few questions.

My name is Ricky, and Im a 27 yr old single guy. I have a very general AA degree and 14 years of work experience, pretty much ALL over the place. Ive worked for Boeing, Small private airlines, Cruise lines, Telecoms, Tech Companies and even for myself building and repairing computers.

I have a small private project I run from home making Phone apps and will be also needing a day job. Will also be thinking of getting my A+ certification and a few other tech certs til my private projects pick up.

I also do NOT have a place to live set up as of yet.

Some background... When I was 16, I lived in Leesburg and fell in love with the area.

I would like to live back there (or nearby) and probrably at first with a roommate. Having a roommate makes sharing the bills easier, and also is a great way to meet people when you are new to an area.

I will be moving up with enough funds to cover all my expenses for 3 months and i already have furniture and everything. I will be staying with a friend in Charlottesville while i find what Im looking for.

I am taking the leap. I huge one. It's pretty nerve racking and am just looking for some peace. I havent found a roommate ad that fits me or that I fit to. A few that seemed like good possibilities have been dead ends and no one seems to want to email me back.

How hard should it be to find a place? When should I start worrying? Am i looking in the wrong areas?

Also, How is Sprint Service in the Area? Is there 4G (wishful thinking)?

What banks are local? I know that not all national banks are everywhere.

I also want to thank anyone that reads this and gives me even an inkling of advice. Its appreciated. I need all the help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Word of Warning: Leesburg has grown in the past 11 years - many new housing developments and shopping.

I don't think it's "hard" to find a place to live, but if price is driving your decision, then you may be hard-pressed to find one in your price range, if it's not high enough. The farther out from DC that you live, the less expensive it is, in general.

There are lots of banks around here - BB&T, SunTrust, Wachovia, Chevy Chase Bank, and lots of others that I cannot think of right now.

Not sure what 4G service is.

Good luck with your move and new adventure.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
It's pretty nerve racking and am just looking for some peace. I havent found a roommate ad that fits me or that I fit to. A few that seemed like good possibilities have been dead ends and no one seems to want to email me back.
Friendly advice: Find a job first. Few people are going to gamble on someone who is not yet employed, lest they be stuck with the rent. If your IT skills are as high-level as they sound, then you have good odds at finding a job in the DC area. I'd focus on that.

C'ville is kinda far down, however. If you want to be closer in, try looking for a short-term furnished rental.

Don't despair; there are jobs here. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Word of Warning: Leesburg has grown in the past 11 years - many new housing developments and shopping.

I don't think it's "hard" to find a place to live, but if price is driving your decision, then you may be hard-pressed to find one in your price range, if it's not high enough. The farther out from DC that you live, the less expensive it is, in general.

There are lots of banks around here - BB&T, SunTrust, Wachovia, Chevy Chase Bank, and lots of others that I cannot think of right now.

Not sure what 4G service is.

Good luck with your move and new adventure.
Haha... Thanks. I figured that Leesburg wouldve changed significantly (considering its been top 3 fastest growing places in the US since then) but I dont really see that as a negative. Im not a big city person, but I do want some kind of suburbia, which it was lacking 11 years ago. I like that it is mostly new construction and that people generally make good money in the area.

Im looking to room in a decent sized house for about $750 with utilities included. I dont think that is too little, and I wouldnt mind sharing a bathroom with anyone or anything. Its actually around what I pay for now in Miami, so no complaints from me.

BB&T is new-ish here, but good to know.

4G is the newest, super duper speed that Sprint has for data service. Service has been rolling out unannounced in a lot of areas, Including patches down here which isnt an official 4G area.

Thanks for the luck... Im gonna need it.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Friendly advice: Find a job first. Few people are going to gamble on someone who is not yet employed, lest they be stuck with the rent. If your IT skills are as high-level as they sound, then you have good odds at finding a job in the DC area. I'd focus on that.

C'ville is kinda far down, however. If you want to be closer in, try looking for a short-term furnished rental.

Don't despair; there are jobs here. Good luck!
Yeah... C'ville is way south... and not really where Im looking, but I dont think I'll have any trouble finding work in or around the DC area.

I was just hoping to have the housing taken care of beforehand. Not really too excited about driving from C'Ville to DC for job hunting/interviews. Guess Ive got to do what Ive got to do though.

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Good luck, and welcome back to Virginia. The next few months may be very challenging for you, but it sounds like you're being fairly realistic about it. Finding a job can be a bear right now, but there are jobs out there. I'm glad you're smart enough to wait to move here until AFTER you get the job, because it really is better to find a place relatively close to the job. But driving from C-ville will surely try your patience. Hang in there, and it will all work out eventually.

By the way, I lived in Miami many years ago. I lived in Miami Springs and Liberty City (we're talking many years ago, I hear those areas have changed from what I remember). There aren't a LOT of Floridians here but you'll find a few.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Good luck, and welcome back to Virginia. The next few months may be very challenging for you, but it sounds like you're being fairly realistic about it. Finding a job can be a bear right now, but there are jobs out there. I'm glad you're smart enough to wait to move here until AFTER you get the job, because it really is better to find a place relatively close to the job. But driving from C-ville will surely try your patience. Hang in there, and it will all work out eventually.

By the way, I lived in Miami many years ago. I lived in Miami Springs and Liberty City (we're talking many years ago, I hear those areas have changed from what I remember). There aren't a LOT of Floridians here but you'll find a few.
Thanks!

Yeah, those places have changed... and not all for the better.

TO be honest, Im fine if I never see another Floridian. Miami people arent known for their kindness, patience or intelligence. Im glad to be moving. I need a change of venue and a nice place to start a family (who knows).

Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Best of luck to you! As others have stated Leesburg is a much different animal than the place you knew years ago; it now has about 42,000 residents and continues to grow more and more each day. With that growth has certainly come more conveniences (i.e. Best Buy, Wegman's, Super Target, Costco, etc.) but traffic congestion, especially on holiday weekends when many transplants (such as moi) try to hit Route 15 North to go back "home" to PA or NY, can be horrific.

I think you can definitely find a room for $750/month in Leesburg. If you're open to suggestions I might even recommend trying to look in Sterling or Herndon because most peers of mine I know who live in Leesburg hate how "isolated" they feel from nightlife, the dating scene, and social functions with friends. Heck, I live in Reston, a place where tons of people work in DC, and I've tried to date guys in Arlington who think I'm "too far away."

Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

184 posts, read 311,388 times
Welcome back to the 'burg. Like others, it has changed quite a bit but for the good. It has helped out the area and no more driving to FFX Co for everything. You would probably like it here the way it is now. A nice balance of things you need for eating out, shopping, etc and then you have the blue ridge mtns and harpers ferry, wv all within a 30 minute radius and if you like wine, lots of new wineries/vineyards have popped up here for sure.
You will be able to find something between the burg and Reston for the money you are looking for. Alot of the condos that were to be built, well when the market took its downfall they converted them to apartments and you can get a 1- 2 Bdrm for $750-$1600 a month around here. I just took a friend around here and you can find some good deals like I did for her.
good luck on your move

Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post
Welcome back to the 'burg.
I thought that was a public housing community in Old Town Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia