U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM

219 posts, read 410,645 times

Advertisements

We bought before we even planned to have kids, and we love our area but we probably would have bought elsewhere had we thought about schools. It became an important consideration later, but not as much later as you might think before hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM

5,083 posts, read 5,359,309 times
I live in the Olde Mill Condominiums just off of Pole Road.

Here is my opinion of the area: The condo complex itself is diverse. With a mix of families, couples and singles of all different races. Everyone is friendly and I've never had a problem with anyone in the complex. I live in a 2nd floor condo and have never felt unsafe and will walk around the complex by myself.

A 1/4 mile down the road is Sacramento Drive. Lined with townhouses on one side of the road and low income housing on the other side. I see a lot of people walking the sidewalks including children. It appears to be a mix of African-Americans and Hispanics. I have searched the VA State Police Sex Offender Registry and there are several registered sex offenders living in this area. I would not feel safe walking in this neighborhood - even with my husband.

Further down Pole Road is Frye Road. From Pole Road to Route 1, again, one side is lined with nice townhomes and the other side is low income housing with a heavy mix of African-Americans and Hispanics. There are a few registered sex offenders in this area as well.

The Route 1 corridor in this particular area is a dump. There is no quick running to the store. The closest grocery store (other than Bottom Dollar off of Sacramento) is Shoppers in the Mount Vernon Plaza. Depending upon the time of day you go (traffic), it can take you anywhere between 40 minutes to 60 minutes round trip.

I have lived in this area for a year and a half and I definitely would not purchase a home here (I currently rent) simply because I don't like this part of Rt. 1 and I think resale value would not be so great. Plus, the registered sex offenders is a little off-putting (32 in 22309 and they ALL live between Sacramento Road and Buckman Road).

I would suggest that you drive around the area to see what you think.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 35,771 times
The closer to the Potomac the better the neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM

127 posts, read 305,327 times
We just finished our look-and-see trip - thank you everybody for "preparing" us... The house we were interested in is on Frye road. After reading your comments we weren't too crazy about it anymore and once we got there we knew that this wouldn't work. There are some nice houses but I wouldn't want to walk my dog anywhere near this area. Too bad you can't move a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia