U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,628 times

Advertisements

Thanks Doppleganger. The most important thing to me is to be in a neighborhood where my kids will have other kids around to play with. I'd like to feel like part of a neighborhood and be able to walk to some things. Near a bike trail would be a plus, as we do this almost daily now. We would like a home built withing the last 10 years. Curbs and sidewalks would be great too!
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It has been very helpful as I work with our realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,304 times
"We would like a home built withing the last 10 years. Curbs and sidewalks would be great too!"

Your realtor is obviously the best person to advise you here, but these will be hard to find in McLean. Most homes built within the last ten years are very expensive infill properties on small lots in established older neighborhoods with no sidewalks. We looked for neighborhoods with sidewalks in McLean and found very few. Potomac Hills has a few sidewalks, and McLean Hamlet has sidewalks, but the homes in those neighborhoods were built in the 1960s and 1970s.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

158 posts, read 330,250 times
I agree with Claremarie. All of the new homes are either in neighborhoods like the one I live in (mostly 50's capes that are sold for 550K and then torn down) or new developments like Chalice Crest or Grace Manor Court where you are probably looking at closer to 2M.

I thought I read somewhere that Ffx county usually only has sidewalks on one side of the street? I don't know it that is true or not.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,614,642 times
If one is looking for new homes around $1.5 M in family-friendly areas that have good access to bike path and sidewalks (on at least one side of the road), some areas to consider might include:

(1) areas in Vienna/22182 off Clarks Crossing Road (e.g., neighborhoods of over $1.2 M homes include Full Cry Farm, Saddlebrook, Elgin Manor, Thistle Ridge);

(2) in-fill properties in Town of Vienna (W&OD trail runs through town; most of the in-fill properties to date have been built in SE part of Town); and

(3) in-fill properties in the City of Falls Church (not that many of them in the OP's price range, but some are quite close to W&OD trail).

A realtor may, of course, have other suggestions.

Last edited by JD984; 08-17-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or