U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 AM

246 posts, read 1,017,870 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who provided wonderful advise and suggestions - we've been here about 6 weeks now, and couldn't be happier. We ended up with a house in Fairfax Club Estates (just off Ox and Burke centre). Great neighborhood, love the access to all the lakes and trails, plus the neighborhood pool. Yes, our house cost almost 3 times what our previous house cost, but we had been saving for a long time, and knew to expext it. Other than housing, none of our other expenses have gone up. Lots have gone down - our car insurance is way less here. Groceries are the same. "Services" are higher though - had our car towed 3 miles, for $110. But really overall, we've been plesantly suprised at how little our expenses have changed, since we moved from one of the cheapest states in the country (LA).

The access I have (SAHM) to shopping is excellent from this location. We were so turned around during our whirlwind house hunting trip, we had no idea just how close this location is to so many things. I can be to Fair lakes in about 10 minutes during the day, same with the mall. Wegmans takes about 8 minutes, so it's become my new grocery store of choice. Just not on the weekends, lol.

My DH works at the Exxonmobil building over on 50 and gallows. His commute averages 22 minutes ANY time of the day. He can leave at 8 and get home at 5, and still it never takes longer than about 25 minutes. WONDERFUL!!! So much better than where we lived before.

We made this move when I was 30 weeks pregnant - my baby is due in 10 days. We went with Greenbriar OBGYN, and I've been really pleased with all the drs there. I'm hoping Fair Oaks hospital will be equally nice. Finding a new dr. when you're far into a pregnancy is tough, but I got some great advise on these boards!

The only thing we've been disappointed in is the food. Coming from LA, we're used to flavor. Everything seems so bland. Small price to pay for all the other things we've gotten from moving here.

So thanks to everyone who provided such great tips and recommendations - we owe alot to this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM

421 posts, read 818,789 times
We've been here (moved back) for a little longer than you and I'm glad you're as happy as I am! We came from Alabama where everything was fried and salty! Ha! Good luck with your new little one!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Welcome to Virginia! I'm glad it's working out well, sounds like you found a nice neighborhood. I lived in Los Angeles area for a long time and then moved here. I've noticed that since a large number of Californians have started moving here there's been a definite influence on grocery stores and restaurants. Slowly but surely we're moving in a more "foodie" direction. I hope it continues.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,808,784 times
Normie, I think she means Louisiana, as Los Angeles is not a state.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Normie, I think she means Louisiana, as Los Angeles is not a state.

LOL, as Homer Simpson would say "D'oh!" Yes, I should have realized... Los Angeles would never be described as one of the cheapest places to live!

Well, here's to more people from LA moving here, too. I'd love to see more cajun influence in the local food.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM

639 posts, read 1,148,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, as Homer Simpson would say "D'oh!" Yes, I should have realized... Los Angeles would never be described as one of the cheapest places to live!

Well, here's to more people from LA moving here, too. I'd love to see more cajun influence in the local food.

Don't worry Normie, I thought the same thing intially - "cool, they came from LA and I am too, so my expenses will go down!", but then I'm like, wait a minute! LA isn't one of the cheapest places to live!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,632 times
That is GREAT news! Thank you for coming back to update. Hopefully we'll keeping *seeing* you around.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,340 times
glad things are going well...and I completely hear you on the food. It's terrible across the board here. Was a big disappointment for us coming from Metro NYC.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM

246 posts, read 1,017,870 times
Yeah - LA as in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Crappy place to live, good food though. I'm sure we will find some good places if we keep looking - it's amazing how your taste buds adapt. We're origionally from Nebraska, where it can't get much more bland in the food department. Overall though, NOVA is a fantastic place to call home.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
We've been here (moved back) for a little longer than you and I'm glad you're as happy as I am! We came from Alabama where everything was fried and salty! Ha! Good luck with your new little one!
In many areas of the South the saying goes "If it ain't fried, it ain't cooked!" Due to advancing years I don't cook that way anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia