U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

28 posts, read 33,907 times
Carlingtonian: thanks for the link. That seems to be the same one that WaPo uses. However, it seems that Arlington Police isn't part of the network (so no stats for comparison).

robbobobbo: I definitely do not EVER want to be robbed at gunpoint! Even two blocks away from King St., it gets pretty quiet, despite the presence of the occasional baby stroller or jogger at 6pm (and still light) the last time I was there. I think 178% risk is compared to a 100% national average - e.g., on average, 100 rapes occur per X number of people, while in the OT zip code 178 rapes occur per X number of people.

BTW, I signed for a place at Courthouse, a different one from the one I was considering. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Thank you for all your responses.

One more thing that I found curious about Old Town is that, according to WaPo’s Local Explorer, it has a much higher rate of the crimes that I would be worried about – rape, robbery, and assault (keeping in mind that assault probably takes into account bar fights and domestic disputes, which one can try to avoid) – than even “in transition” DC neighborhoods like Columbia Heights. Even taking into account the North Old Town housing projects, I would NOT have thought that. I didn't venture that far north, but walking around Old Town between Wythe and King Sts, I felt safer than I did in Columbia Heights. But WaPo says that Columbia Heights has a 19% rape risk while Old Town has 178%, and robbery in CH is 88% and 296% in OT.

What is up with that? I can't imagine the OT tourists getting mugged more often than folks in CH.

"42.7% of all statistics are just made up"

i would trust your gut instinct and your perception here. i lived in old town for 5 yrs, and never felt unsafe. I "heard' about a few crimes, but never an outbreak or anything on a regular basis. Old town is great.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 94,421 times
Old Town Alexandria snow removal is dreadful.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM

487 posts, read 697,213 times
Being totally unfamiliar with Old Town, I was intrigued by descriptions that compare Old Town with Georgetown across the river. I then went to the Realestate sites to see what kind of Old Rowhouses were available and the prices they are fetching these days.
To further illustrate my ignorance I did not even know about low income housing in North Old Town.
So would someone care to point out the areas of Old Town to avoid crime wise.
And the areas of Old Town to focus on when looking for a vintage antique Row House.

And as a final question, Are there any other areas in NOVA anything remotely like Georgetown?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,030,344 times
Georgetown requires 200+ years to properly season. I suspect the closest to the "Georgetown/Old Town Alexandria" experience is in Winchester, Leesburg, and Fredericksburg, then, since all three have been fairly major commercial centers on their own accord since 1800.

Getting to be a pretty shade of yellow on the ADC maps helps, I think.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,272,655 times
Are you sure those crime statistics are for OT and not the city of Alexandria in general? I have checked the statistics for OT and remember that there was almost no crime at all in OT proper, and what there was was either burglary of a shop on King Street or car theft in the north-western section. The crime statistics mentioned sound more accurate for some other parts of Alexandria, but not OT.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
People totally underestimate just how walkable Arlington is. I walked last weekend from the National Mall to Ballston to save a few bucks when I hopped back onto the Orange Line to get to West Falls Church.

OMgoodness that is quite a walk, geez just walking from Rosslyn to Courthouse is a tough walk, from Courthouse to Ballston is not to bad, if you just hadn't walked up the hill from Rosslyn, kudos to you.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 PM

28 posts, read 33,907 times
Marie - I put in the 22314 zip, which should be just Old Town. OT did feel quite safe to me, so I was surprised at the stats also. Even when I filtered out the commercial burglaries, the map still looked pretty blotty with robberies, etc.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM

487 posts, read 697,213 times
So would someone care to point out the areas of Old Town to avoid crime wise.
And the areas of Old Town to focus on when looking for a vintage antique Row House.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 PM

26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
OMgoodness that is quite a walk, geez just walking from Rosslyn to Courthouse is a tough walk, from Courthouse to Ballston is not to bad, if you just hadn't walked up the hill from Rosslyn, kudos to you.
Thanks. I'm in very good shape, and as someone who regularly reads a popular Arlington-based blog in which people in Clarendon are whining that they refuse to walk 1/4-mile to an impending new Trader Joe's store I'm realizing just how lazy and spoiled most Americans are becoming. I didn't get into the shape I'm in by sitting behind the wheel. I walk as many places as possible. Weather-permitting I even walk 45 minutes each way to Reston Town Center, our fake downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia