U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,377,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeRP View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies! We have 4 kids, and I'm a stay at home mom that homeschools them.

I'm not happy and I don't like Dallas I've been here for 3 years now and I want out! We have a gazillion bugs. And it's not very pretty. There really isn't much to do in Dallas. We've moved a lot but never to the east coast. I don't even think I want to buy a house if we move. We rented once and I love that freedom. I realize we'll be falling down the ladder with regards to housing. I do know smaller houses/yards because I grew up near L.A. Here in Dallas we have a 4bed/3bath 2600sq ft house on 1.5 acres. And it's a really pretty custom built home. And only $270,000 because we live about 45 minutes outside of the Big D. But what's the point when fire ants have infested our yard and the kids can't play on the grass? The ants are even coming out of interior walls. And yesterday- ants IN the car! You wouldn't believe how big the spiders can be, we probably squash one daily in our house. And what about the snake my husband found IN the house even though every door/window has been shut? Luckily we don't have a pond or wooded lot, or we might have lots of poisonous snakes too, like our dear friends down the road. Jeepers creepers! Oh, and we have wasps making nests under the roof line all around the house and somehow have gotten 3 wasps IN the house. So yeah, we have a nice house and all, but can't really enjoy it. You can chalk some of it up to country living, but still. I don't know what my husband would make there, but we wouldn't move unless it was a lot more than he gets here. I don't ever want to feel poor! A great job opportunity caught our eye and we'll see what happens with it. I don't know that it's a major climb up the career ladder though. I think it would be awesome for my kids to experience all the culture/history found in your area.

Wow! That does sound awful!!! Okay, forget Dallas!

Since you homeschool, you might be interested in moving further out than Arlington. There is a large homeschool population in Loudoun and Clarke Counties. The Homeschool Legal Defense Assoc. is in Purcellville as is Patrick Henry College (I think the first college aimed at homeschooled students). I know Clarke County has a large Latin classical group that has won a lot of awards.

For a comparable house in Loudoun, it would be twice as much. Arlington or closer in, way more expensive. You'd have a tough time finding a decent house for $270k anywhere close in.

And, of course, Virginia is loaded with history-- Williamsburg and the Civil War. Goes without saying that DC is unparalleled in cultural opportunities.

Best of luck (and make sure you leave the bugs in Texas )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,816,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
yuck doesn't sound like fun there. At $135K as a total income, you would be hardpressed to afford something in Arlington like what you're used to. You will have to live pretty far out in the burbs.
ETA just realized that you said you're at $135K in TX...sorry, I'd think you'd need to be around $200K to be competitive with what you've been used to.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM

2,641 posts, read 3,858,037 times
Do you really need to live in Arlington? If you're able to live further out from DC, the cost drops (though it's still expensive). Virginia is a homeschool-friendly state, so you could easily find a network of other homeschool families. and there are plenty of historical sites that you and your children could visit as part of your educational plans.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,032,369 times
I'm not really all that crazy about Nova, but I've spent some time in Dallas and wouldn't want to live there either. However, Virginia does have bugs aplenty, mostly mosquitoes, including the kind that bite during the day, but so far no fire ants. My husband makes in the same range as yours and we live mostly on his salary - I think we live quite comfortably. Desirable school district, pretty neighborhood, nice big house (4 bd, 2.5 bath), and so on. It's not what we could buy in Dallas (not as new or quite as big), but unless you're really hung up on having a brand new house with an acre of land, I think you also could live quite comfortably here. Probably not in Arlington, though - we couldn't find anything there and we looked. But in Fairfax, Burke, the nicer parts of Annandale, and even Oakton or Mclean if you're willing to sacrifice a bit more on the house.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,119,116 times
Renee, I love the DC area - I chose my job because of it - but I am not sure it is the best choice for you. Have you considered Chicago, Minneapolis, or other northern or midwestern cities, if your husband has career options there? They are less expensive than this area, have much less of an insect issue than what you describe, and have many things to do.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM

236 posts, read 512,268 times
Hi Renee,

Your description of Dallas is spot on! I did have fun living there (single then) but for me the flying cockroaches was a killer.. I HATE cockroaches and they were so wicked fast and flied at my face.. they were huge too.. *I lived in a nice apt complex and i am super clean* The ants was scary- no idea these types of ants existed! First time I also experienced golf sized hail- drove to any gas station for cover!

We don't have these issues here-as you can imagine, you'll gain a different set of issues, But to be honest, I do like it here.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,427,253 times
No fire ants here! We are too far north. Those things sting - ouch! I got attacked in Florida once, and my daughter got attacked when we visited friends in Mississippi.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 AM

175 posts, read 246,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeRP View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies! We have 4 kids, and I'm a stay at home mom that homeschools them.

I'm not happy and I don't like Dallas I've been here for 3 years now and I want out! We have a gazillion bugs. And it's not very pretty. There really isn't much to do in Dallas. We've moved a lot but never to the east coast. I don't even think I want to buy a house if we move. We rented once and I love that freedom. I realize we'll be falling down the ladder with regards to housing. I do know smaller houses/yards because I grew up near L.A. Here in Dallas we have a 4bed/3bath 2600sq ft house on 1.5 acres. And it's a really pretty custom built home. And only $270,000 because we live about 45 minutes outside of the Big D. But what's the point when fire ants have infested our yard and the kids can't play on the grass? The ants are even coming out of interior walls. And yesterday- ants IN the car! You wouldn't believe how big the spiders can be, we probably squash one daily in our house. And what about the snake my husband found IN the house even though every door/window has been shut? Luckily we don't have a pond or wooded lot, or we might have lots of poisonous snakes too, like our dear friends down the road. Jeepers creepers! Oh, and we have wasps making nests under the roof line all around the house and somehow have gotten 3 wasps IN the house. So yeah, we have a nice house and all, but can't really enjoy it. You can chalk some of it up to country living, but still. I don't know what my husband would make there, but we wouldn't move unless it was a lot more than he gets here. I don't ever want to feel poor! A great job opportunity caught our eye and we'll see what happens with it. I don't know that it's a major climb up the career ladder though. I think it would be awesome for my kids to experience all the culture/history found in your area.
I understand how you feel, we moved from Florida because we had to but I am so glad to be away. The area is beautiful and my kids are outside all the time. No fire ants, alligators or snakes. However, the biggest problems with the area is housing and traffic. We are renting an 1970s split level 1800 sq ft house for 2700 a month. House is not the most important, but we came from owning a brand new 2500 sq ft house with a pool, so it does get hard to live with. Depending on where your husband would be working, you may be able to live farther out towards Leesburg and that becomes more affordable with bigger lots. Best of luck in your decision

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,988,309 times
What about Seattle? I hear they have employment opportunities right now.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM

353 posts, read 459,673 times
She said she has no problem renting.

IMO, you should be fine on that salary provided that you don't have a bundle of debt. There are plenty of people who make less and who aren't struggling. However, you need to be prepared for a serious cost of living increase.

So maybe you won't be able to vacation three times a year, have two high car payments, eat out every night, and buy the latest gadgets each time they come out....but maybe you don't live that way now so it wouldn't be a problem.

Though, I'd consider moving further out than Arlington...like Loudoun County.

But I get so annoyed that people act like you have to make 200K here to be comfortable. But that attitude seems to be more prevalent on another DC forum. But then again, comfortable to me is living in a nice area, being able to pay all of my bills, having money for savings, and being able to treat myself sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia