U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 PM
 
14 posts, read 16,711 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all.

Its me, Rick, again. I have another good question for you NoVa natives.

Whats the best way for me to find immediate employment in the NoVa area when Im still in Miami FL?

I have sent quite a few resumes and applications out there and am waiting for some call backs, but was wondering how else I can look?

Ive been using SimplyHired.com and its been pretty good at finding a TON of jobs, but shuffling through them isnt always as easy as it can be.

Also been playing around with Monster.com.

Any other sites that you guys/gals recommend?

Does anyone out there recommend a staffing agency? If so, which one(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,317,824 times
Reputation: 507
I suggest using your own network of people (along the lines of LinkedIn, but there are other IRL ones) to find job leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
 
14 posts, read 16,711 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I suggest using your own network of people (along the lines of LinkedIn, but there are other IRL ones) to find job leads.
In Miami, that is the ONLY way to get a job. Even if there are job postings, it doesn't matter as someone who knows the manager, or a cousin of the cleaning lady always gets the job.

Unfortunately, I know NO ONE in NoVA. I have one friend that lives in DC Proper, but that's about it. She lives a little east for me, and actually is an artist so no job opportunities there.

If I knew more people, that would definitely be the way to go.
Thanks for the Suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Reputation: 42860
I have no idea if this would work, or even if it would interest you, but one idea could be to go to Miami Airport and get a job on the security team there, telling them that you intend to transfer to Dulles or National. I heard that they are always looking for people to check baggage or load the planes. (Not sure if this is true, it's just something I heard once.) It might be something you could do your first year here while you establish a network.

As far as IT jobs go, you're going to have a hard time if you don't know anyone here. Networking is how a lot of Nova jobs are found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,317,824 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
Unfortunately, I know NO ONE in NoVA. I have one friend that lives in DC Proper, but that's about it. She lives a little east for me, and actually is an artist so no job opportunities there.
Ok -- if you literally know no one here (in your field) and are looking to start work quickly, I would suggest looking for work through temp agencies. Sometimes temp jobs can turn long(er) term, and even result in permanent work.

Some IT temp firms that I know of that seem to have fast hire times are IKON, Robert Half, Ranstad, and Sparks.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 05:53 PM
 
248 posts, read 613,405 times
Reputation: 105
Use indeed.com to find job openings across several sites. Then apply through the company websites directly.

I've had the most success applying through companies' websites directly as far as applying to jobs go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 PM
 
14 posts, read 16,711 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I have no idea if this would work, or even if it would interest you, but one idea could be to go to Miami Airport and get a job on the security team there, telling them that you intend to transfer to Dulles or National. I heard that they are always looking for people to check baggage or load the planes. (Not sure if this is true, it's just something I heard once.) It might be something you could do your first year here while you establish a network.

As far as IT jobs go, you're going to have a hard time if you don't know anyone here. Networking is how a lot of Nova jobs are found.
I could definitely try that... But unfortunately, Miami has been one of the cities WORST hit by this recession. We have always had worse than average unemployment rates, but last time I checked we were close to 20+%. There just arent enough jobs and there are more and more people each day. Lots of immigrants and the way jobs are here, no one really has to be qualified.

They just dont have any real availability at this time at the airport. They are taking resumes, but no one is being hired until someone else gets fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Ok -- if you literally know no one here (in your field) and are looking to start work quickly, I would suggest looking for work through temp agencies. Sometimes temp jobs can turn long(er) term, and even result in permanent work.

Some IT temp firms that I know of that seem to have fast hire times are IKON, Robert Half, Ranstad, and Sparks.

Good luck!
I literally know NO ONE. None. Zero. Zilch. I am like a baby (said in my best Avatar voice). I know that it seems crazy just getting up and moving without having anything... but I have even less here and I dont even see the opportunities.

I am fine with looking for temp work. I will check out those companies you mentioned and thank you very much for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Use indeed.com to find job openings across several sites. Then apply through the company websites directly.

I've had the most success applying through companies' websites directly as far as applying to jobs go.
Yeah... Ill definitely try that. Ive been using the Simply Hired, which is the same idea. It searches the companies websites, but it will also link you directly to their sites. It is very handy.

Oh... and indeed has an android app! Checking jobs while Im driving (j/k)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM
 
33 posts, read 55,691 times
Reputation: 19
Default Suggestions

A few years(3-4) ago my primary sources were
Craigslist
Yahoo
Dice
Company websites
These websites helped me land in 3-4 interviews. NOVA is a good place for IT professionals as there are a lot of IT start-ups in the area.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
 
639 posts, read 1,149,211 times
Reputation: 207
Rick, I have another "if it makes you feel any better" line - I don't know anybody either. High five!

I don't really have any advice because it was really difficult for me to find something here. I got lucky when a position in NoVa opened up with my current company and I jumped on it. I know I'm qualified for lots of positions, so I don't know if there was just a lot of competition or what! I may have missed something in your earlier posts, but are you currently employed with a company that you could possibly transfer with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top