Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 PM

230 posts, read 758,132 times

Advertisements

You might want to talk to a restoration type company that does clean-up after a house fire etc. I know ozone generators are used very effectively to remove difficult odors such as smoke from fires, tobacco smoke and other horrible smells. I'm not sure if use of an ozone generator could help in removing a strong cat urine smell, but it's worth a telephone call to see if this might be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
The former owner of the house sounds disgusting. It is not normal behavior for cats to pee outside of their litter boxes. For those who don't own cats, cats typically pee outside of their boxes for certain reasons:

* if they have a urinary tract infection, kidney problem/health issue;
* litter box isn't cleaned regularly, litter has been changed to/or they do not like the type of litter in the box;
* litter box is located somewhere the cat doesn't like (i.e., down basement stairs, in the dark, etc.)
* anger /aggressive / stressed out / behavioral problem (I had a cat act up when I was moving);
* very old cat who can no longer pee properly;
* very old cat who can't make it down the stairs or find where box is located

The former owners should have found out why this was happening rather than destroying this house.

One of my cats sprayed when he was a younger male and before he was neutered. I used this stuff from Walmart (with a pink cap). Can't remember the name but will go find it. It was reasonably priced (under $5 for the spray bottle), came in gallon sizes, and worked WAY better than Nature's Miracle. I used it on the carpet, floors, furniture, everywhere. Worked like a charm. I'll go find it and write back.

Otherwise, as stated above, replace the carpets if you can, seal the drywall with Kilz Level III and re-paint, and seal any concrete/stone floors with a proper sealant. That should help. If you rip out the carpets and find the subfloor is ruined, try sanding it down first and if not, you may have to replace them. Sorry you had to go through this and good luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
One last thing to consider before you tear up the floor is this: Pet Stain Remover

It is usually used for carpet cleaning but I have found it to be effective everywhere else - like tile, and concrete. Nature's Miracle never worked for us either. I am sorry that you won't be able to go after the owner about this but I hope you find a more affordable solution to getting rid of the smell. I couldn't imagine tearing up everything. We use the pet stain off if our dogs have accidents or if we do for that matter (can be clumsy!) and it has worked great. Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 AM

5 posts, read 10,421 times
You might want to try this product. "Bye Bye Odor" by Spalding Laboratories
One retailer that sells it is Valley Vet online. Bye Bye Odor RTU Spalding Laboratories (Pet Supplies - Pet Equipment Supplies - Pet Waste Managemen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia