U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM

11,363 posts, read 20,159,003 times

Advertisements

Most folks are exactly on - law was broken, you got caught, end of story. If you want to rant/whine about the kids, not having a BMW, etc. - that's where blogs come in handy. Cops have a rough enough life w/o having to "decide" whom to pull over "a rich *****" or someone that doesn't have kids in the car or whatever... If someone gets that rattled driving with children, perhaps they shouldn't drive with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
I was told by a reliable source that cops all over Virginia are cracking down on speeders (its a revenue thing), and that the "willful reckless driving" speed has been reduced from 20mph over the speed limit, to 15mph----and that the fines for "willful reckless driving" are huge, as are the driving penalties, so drivers beware.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 AM

55,491 posts, read 74,394,948 times
what is the actual speed limit on route 50??

Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM

518 posts, read 782,384 times
Sorry, it happened and I do understand the need to vent. Quick tip, make sure you keep someone speeding ahead of you by about a quarter mile at all times. Also, you will not get rear-ended for going closer to the speed limit, just stick in the right lane if you do. I get stuck behind these cautious people all the friggin' time. You take the risk whenever you decide to speed. Eventually everyone gets caught, this was your turn.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 AM

87 posts, read 296,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what is the actual speed limit on route 50??
Varies on the area.

Around that area, it's 50, then when you get a little west it becomes 55.

People though will go a lot faster - 60-70mph in most of the areas. I see it daily with living out that way.

That being said, I would have not pulled over on the median. I was once pulled over in Ashburn, in an area I did not want to stop in due to traffic. I slowed down, and turned off onto a street a mile or two up - had my signal on all the way. Told the cop I wanted a safe place to stop - he was fine with that.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
I think it's pre-ordained that one only gets a ticket on what's already a lousy day, so that it seems like pouring salt into an open wound. Sorry it happened to you yesterday.

And getting ticketed in this area is definitely random. The last time I got ticketed was about 5 years ago. I'd been on the Dulles Toll Road and was merging into Route 66, where you end up in a right lane that eventually is exit-only. Route 66 was crowded that day and no one, and I mean no one, was letting me get into a thru traffic lane. By the time I could get into the thru traffic lane, my lane had changed to exit-only and, sure enough, a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket. He had, of course, no interest whatsoever in what might have happened had I unilaterally cut in front of another car that had refused to allow me to enter the thru traffic lane. For the next week, I watched that part of the highway like a hawk and saw people who'd had plenty of occasion to merge earlier get out of the exit-only lane at the last minute. Were they getting ticketed? Of course not. I later saw others getting pulled over in the same spot, but it still rankled that I'd been ticketed for what I thought was driving safely.

In retrospect, one of the good things about living near the Town of Vienna was getting used to the idea that the Town Police had close to zero tolerance for speeding on Maple Avenue and were generally understood to treat ticketing as a revenue-generating activity. After you've become accustomed to that, you get a bit savvier about some of the local rules-of-the-road.

Last edited by JD984; 08-17-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,751,675 times
Speeding Tickets...the new way to balance municipal budgets!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,809,577 times
Quote:
Why cant they catch all the dirtbags out there or rich ******* in this cruddy county?
Wow, really? Could you then please stay out of our county and in fabulous Fairfax?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM

857 posts, read 1,000,883 times
It's funny, my husband and I were talking about all the police presence the other day. OP, you just happened to be the unlucky one who got stopped. If the speed limit was 55 and you were doing 61, I'd agree with you and say the cops must not have anything better to do. If the speed was 35-45, then you were wrong for that.

Unless it's something like 20-30 over the speed limit, I think the cops should be doing something else like fighting REAL crime and the robbers, murderers, kiddie-fiddlers, etc. Nothing irks me more than to see 2-3 cops stopping ONE driver, and causing a scene by flashing their lights and other nonsense. Seriously seems like a waste of tax money if you ask me.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM

159 posts, read 337,159 times
I feel ya! I have never gotten a speeding ticket in VA (lived here 5 years) but I feel ya! There are smart-mouth people checking data forum all day long! Great response to them by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I knew you guys would support me. Thanks!

If I went 55 in that area I would cause an accident - people would rear end me.

Come on people - I am a very safe driver and usually just go with the flow of traffic. I told you the post was a vent. I know I broke the law. Just mad that all the jerks that drive far worse and faster than me in their BMWs were not pulled over - yes - I am judgemental and so is everyone else if they would admit it.

The cop was a jerk for making me risk my life and my kids lives sitting on a freakin medium - does anyone "get it"? No, dont answer that - you are all such perfect Nova residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia