U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM

170 posts, read 324,576 times
I hope not. The poor economy has provided an overflow of pompous uneducated government related workers who do nothing and are overpaid. The economy will pick up, more REAL jobs will be created across the country and people will leave the DC area. The next president will probably be a republican, and hopefully we can drop all of these unnecessary goverment related companies and lay off all these lazy government workers who don't do crap and can actually use the tax payers money to do something good for the country. Love the DC area, hate the people there. Why I left.

Did you guys know that our friends Fannie and Freddie are sucking down billions of dollars and they still offer their employees tuition reimbursement benefits?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,470,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I hope so, but for the better. Some neighborhoods that were good 20 years ago has since turned to crap.
Can you give examples? I've lived here 20 years and haven't seen anywhere in NoVA deteriorate.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM

14,816 posts, read 16,877,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
I hope not. The poor economy has provided an overflow of pompous uneducated government related workers who do nothing and are overpaid. The economy will pick up, more REAL jobs will be created across the country and people will leave the DC area. The next president will probably be a republican, and hopefully we can drop all of these unnecessary goverment related companies and lay off all these lazy government workers who don't do crap and can actually use the tax payers money to do something good for the country. Love the DC area, hate the people there. Why I left.

Did you guys know that our friends Fannie and Freddie are sucking down billions of dollars and they still offer their employees tuition reimbursement benefits?
What's wrong with tuition reimbursement? Don't you want your employees to be educated? This is a great perk to bring in smart employees. The money waste is going on in the F&F board room mostly not the general office.

Northern VA will continue to grow with the steady govt jobs along with contractors moving their main offices here. I for one think the govt should spread out and move some jobs to some areas that aren't big terrorist risks. All the agencies in one spot, to me, is asking for trouble.

I can vouch for there being a lot of lazy govt workers. I worked inside a the building of a federal agency and I hear stories about bad DOD employees all the time. Not everyone but still too many.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,913,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
. . . and hopefully we can drop all of these unnecessary goverment related companies and lay off all these lazy government workers who don't do crap and can actually use the tax payers money to do something good for the country.
Not all govt employees fall under this cliched stereotype of the lazy do-nothing employee. In fact, it's a sweeping generalization that I don't believe should be applied to workers in this area. I met some really hard-working and highly intelligent people when I worked for the govt.

Quote:
Govt employees have to keep up with the latest -- in everything, especially technological innovations, biotech, research, accounting skills, etc. Awhile back, some survey (I forget by who) found that the govt was lacking in highly-skilled, highly-educated folks because they could not offer similar benefits in pay, educational opportunities, retirement, etc. than in private industry. You complain because govt workers are lazy and uninformed but criticize govt agencies when they want to educate and maintain a certain level of competency for their workers?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM

3,235 posts, read 2,785,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Can you give examples? I've lived here 20 years and haven't seen anywhere in NoVA deteriorate.
one example is in Alexandria, right around Beauregard street and Little River T'pike, that used to be a nice area, now not so nice any more

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,099,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
When I mean expanding I mean jobs are generated, population goes up, new housing is built....etc....

And why or why not?

Basically what I'm afraid of is a Detroit/parts of CA style situation where jobs dry up, housing costs go down, people go underwater on their mortgage....

I'm considering purchasing a condo but I'm just so afraid of mortgages just because of what people in those areas went through. Even the word "mortgage" scares me. "Mort" is french for death...
Which party will be in the White House and which party will control Congress? If you can tell me that, I'd have a better idea if government is going to continue to expand. Democrats love to expand government and that's the engine that runs the DC area.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, the area will continue to expand economically. The federal government is the biggest engine, but by no means the only one. And although the area is not recession-proof, it is recession-resistant.

Also, although I have heard for most of my life that "now is the best time to buy real estate", it may actually be true at this point in time. Prices are unlikely to get any lower, and that's happening at the same time as very, very low mortgage interest rates.

There will always be individuals in the area who struggle, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
What other engines drive DC?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I don't know how one comfortably asserts that the Federal Government will continuously expand any more than one asserted that housing prices will always rise. It is certainly true that the Federal Government and the related service industries have expanded under both Democratic and Republican administrations, but the past doesn't always predict the future. To me, what bodes better for this region, compared to others, is the fact that it's really become a hub for both well-educated workers and immigrants (many of whom are themselves very well-educated).
Why do well educated people move here? Who hires them? Why is it a hub? The government and the contractors who are also paid by the federal government. Lobbying firms, law firms, ALL are paid because the government is here. That's why they locate here, the government and the government's money.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Not all govt employees fall under this cliched stereotype of the lazy do-nothing employee. In fact, it's a sweeping generalization that I don't believe should be applied to workers in this area. I met some really hard-working and highly intelligent people when I worked for the govt.

Govt employees have to keep up with the latest -- in everything, especially technological innovations, biotech, research, accounting skills, etc. Awhile back, some survey (I forget by who) found that the govt was lacking in highly-skilled, highly-educated folks because they could not offer similar benefits in pay, educational opportunities, retirement, etc. than in private industry. You complain because govt workers are lazy and uninformed but criticize govt agencies when they want to educate and maintain a certain level of competency for their workers?
Are you saying that the government doesn't pay well? That might have been true 40 years ago, but not anymore. Government workers make more money than people in the private industry, twice the amount! Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, I agree that the past is not a guaranteed predictor of the future--but in this case, I think that the continuous expansion of the federal government since *at least* the New Deal (and actually going back to the Civil War I'm pretty sure) is a good indicator. It's very hard to decommission any part of the federal government once it's created.

I definitely agree with your last sentence. But I think that the reason we're a hub for those people is that there is such a stable and lucrative source of employment here--federal jobs and related contractor jobs.
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia