Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM

21 posts, read 161,406 times

Advertisements

I reverse from Old Town Alexandria to Chantilly. Takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hrs 15 min depending on construction and weather conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,700 times
I commuted via bus/Metro from Springfield to the Pentagon/Rosslyn/DC for 26 years. Suddenly I was in a reorg that had me commute - with my car!!! - from Springfield to Quantico. It was wonderful! I felt human again. Now I'm retired and this is even more heavenly.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I commuted via bus/Metro from Springfield to the Pentagon/Rosslyn/DC for 26 years. Suddenly I was in a reorg that had me commute - with my car!!! - from Springfield to Quantico. It was wonderful! I felt human again. Now I'm retired and this is even more heavenly.
I'm the opposite. I'd love to commute via bus/metro into the city or in my own Arlington. Arlington to Fairfax is okay in the morning but a real pain in the evening.

Enjoy retirement.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM

172 posts, read 329,561 times
I do a reverse commute Vienna to Reston. It is ~ 8-9 miles door-to-door and usually it takes 20-25 min (because I have to take local and 1 lane roads). But overall my commute is pretty easy. My husband also does a reverse commute to Chantilly, and before he worked in Herndon, so his commute is good, too.

I have to say that when the last time I was looking for a job, for me personally, company location (among other priorities) was very important item to consider. So at the end, things worked out well. But unfortunately, there is a rumor at my job, that the company may move farther away (even Leesburg which for me would be awful!). So if this or something else happens, then I will have to re-evaluate and make a new decision/ choice regarding my job and potentially much longer commute.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
I do a reverse commute Vienna to Reston. It is ~ 8-9 miles door-to-door and usually it takes 20-25 min (because I have to take local and 1 lane roads). But overall my commute is pretty easy. My husband also does a reverse commute to Chantilly, and before he worked in Herndon, so his commute is good, too.

I have to say that when the last time I was looking for a job, for me personally, company location (among other priorities) was very important item to consider. So at the end, things worked out well. But unfortunately, there is a rumor at my job, that the company may move farther away (even Leesburg which for me would be awful!). So if this or something else happens, then I will have to re-evaluate and make a new decision/ choice regarding my job and potentially much longer commute.
Vienna to Leesburg doesn't sound like fun. Hope things work out.

I know a gal that does Arlington to Reston via bus and loves not owning a car. I couldn't imagine taking the bus to Fairfax every day but I guess she's on a good route she says it only takes her 45 minutes. It'd be 1.5 hours from my house.

But yeah still hoping I get transferred to a downtown office. I have a friend in the City that'd give me a great deal on an apartment but upper NW DC to Fairfax everyday? Forget it!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Vienna to Leesburg, it's about 40 minutes if I take Lawyers to Hunter Mill to 267 to 28 to 7 -- maybe a bit shorter in the morning, longer in the evening. Most of that is mileage, but Lawyers and Hunter Mill are 35 mph two-lane roads.

Fairfax/Vienna/Falls Church are well placed, IMO, for generic commutes, of under 45 minutes, to pretty much any place in Northern Virginia. Falls Church/North Arlington is best for a generic commute anywhere in the DC area.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm the opposite. I'd love to commute via bus/metro into the city or in my own Arlington. Arlington to Fairfax is okay in the morning but a real pain in the evening.

Enjoy retirement.
I appreciated my public transportation commute as far as not having to deal with traffic, however it took an hour to go the 17 miles to my office. That made for a long day. When I commuted to Quantico with my car, it was a breath of fresh air as it took half the time to go the same distance AND all the traffic was on the other side of 95. I got to sleep a bit later and I got home so much sooner. Not only that, I could run errands on the way home and I still beat my public transportation commute time.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
As someone in my 20's, I encourage everyone in my age group who can to see what they can buy now since the prices are pretty decent. The Fairfax/Fair Oaks area would be a great investment. It may take a little longer to get into the District, but most people will still visit you even if you live farther out. It's really not that far in the grand scheme of things--from Fair Oaks to Arlington it's like 14 miles and to D.C. about 20 miles. So it's really not that bad. We live in Fairfax now and all of our friends still visit, and we still go to Arlington/DC whenever we want.
All the 20 somethings I know who work in DC want to live in DC or Arlington at the farthest. They're eschewing the idea of long commutes and I don't blame them. Plus it's great for DC and the environment. I'd encourage young people to live close to where they work.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd encourage young people to live close to where they work.
If they can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia