U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,216,196 times
Default Snake in basement.

I live in a wooded area and I found a small snake in the basement (second in two months). I called my pest control guys (Superior) and they said they don't offer snake control, but they can control other pests like crickets, mice, etc which might be attracting the snakes. I'm sure I don't have mice or rats, but I have seen crickets and spiders...I have an unfinished basement.

Do you know of any good snake control company? Or do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM

431 posts, read 2,121,021 times
Yes! Call Critter Control. I have used their services several times, and they will know exactly what to do. This is what they specialize in--wildlife control and prevention of entry. You may need mesh screens over your vents (dryer vents, etc.) It could have got in that way.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,304,510 times
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Snakes eat rodents, so they're actually good to have around.

To keep them out of your basement, I'd simply make sure there are no holes or big gaps in the wall/mortar. Caulk and some DIY boxed mortar can help.

There are probably smaller grass snakes hiding out everywhere outdoors, so I wouldn't let this concern you too much.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

384 posts, read 508,231 times
If it were me, I would leave the snake alone and let it eat all the crickets and mice. If you want to snake proof, you need to de-cricket and de-mice your basement. Check how they are getting in from the outside and plug up any holes. Get rid of anything that mice would want to nest or eat. Put down mouse traps. Once you get rid of that, you probably won't have a snake problem. Can you describe the snake? I am curious what type it is.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,239,066 times
Just to be on the safe side, I'd call Critter Control. Not all of the snakes in the area are harmless---I had a slew of (poisonous) copperheads in the woods behind the house several years ago. Just be glad you don't live in South Florida.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,029,802 times
No need to pay for removal - call 1-800-440 - 0800 for some free wildlife advice - all you need to do is get the snake out of your basement, not relocate it and for sure don't kill it. I wouldn't worry about how it got in - it isn't something that is likely to come back. It's most likely looking for its way out. If it is black with some whitish markings and about the size of a pencil then it's probably a black rat snake. Harmless. Rat snakes sometimes lay eggs in basements and then the babies end up down there. I used to find them all the time and just put them outside. On the other hand, if it looks like a copperhead, then that's a problem - be careful. They are venomous. You could always google it and try to identify.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM

115 posts, read 262,419 times
I heard that laying moth balls around your basement on the outside will deter them.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
most pest control companies will not mess with snakes. usually because of lack of training and also the cost of insurance for their employees. there are several things you can do it you do not want them in the basement. there are traps you can lay out on the ground that are much like the sticky mouse traps. also you can use moth balls which has a chemical in them that tend to repel many types of snakes. as far as an actual company that will come and get the snake out i can't help you with, you will probably have to go online and search for a company within your area. if you take this route just remember the cost compared to doing it yourself with the tips i have given.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM

980 posts, read 1,931,225 times
My mother used to have snakes around her house. She bought this stuff called "Snake Away" and sprinkled it around the exterior of her house. No more snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I live in a wooded area and I found a small snake in the basement (second in two months). I called my pest control guys (Superior) and they said they don't offer snake control, but they can control other pests like crickets, mice, etc which might be attracting the snakes. I'm sure I don't have mice or rats, but I have seen crickets and spiders...I have an unfinished basement.

Do you know of any good snake control company? Or do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,
K

Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,760,895 times
Get a roadrunner or mongoose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia