U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Virginia
5,316 posts, read 6,861,832 times
Reputation: 1886

Advertisements

I'm curious to know if any parents of an elementary aged child have received SOL test results yet. Specifically, I am wondering if any Fairfax County scores have made it to the homes. My wife and I both teach for the county, but are not sure when they are mailed. I assumed they would be out by now.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
 
106 posts, read 27,364 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'm curious to know if any parents of an elementary aged child have received SOL test results yet. Specifically, I am wondering if any Fairfax County scores have made it to the homes. My wife and I both teach for the county, but are not sure when they are mailed. I assumed they would be out by now.
There was a report last week that the only county in Virginia that met state requirements was Fairfax County.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,112,458 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'm curious to know if any parents of an elementary aged child have received SOL test results yet. Specifically, I am wondering if any Fairfax County scores have made it to the homes. My wife and I both teach for the county, but are not sure when they are mailed. I assumed they would be out by now.
I don't know but have been hearing that myself. The thing is the results for the pencil & paper tests (ie: elementary level) are mailed out by the testing company, not the school district from my understanding. I think a lot of parents are asking about this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Virginia
5,316 posts, read 6,861,832 times
Reputation: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeze View Post
There was a report last week that the only county in Virginia that met state requirements was Fairfax County.
Other districts met state accredidation requirements. Alexandria City for example: http://www.acps.k12.va.us/mes/sol/20...reliminary.pdf
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,112,458 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Other districts met state accredidation requirements. Alexandria City for example: http://www.acps.k12.va.us/mes/sol/20...reliminary.pdf
State accredidation and AYP are two different things. School systems can make the state accredidation but not AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) which is what No Child Left Behind (NCLB) uses for its criteria. AYP is federal, and a school/system have to meet it in EVERY category in order to have made it. I haven't looked at the data from throughout the state so really don't know how other school systems did. It appears fewer schools made it, even though the passing standards were kept the same as last year. That's actually what is surprising me, with the same percentages needed for passing, fewer did, which doesn't make sense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Virginia
5,316 posts, read 6,861,832 times
Reputation: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
State accredidation and AYP are two different things. School systems can make the state accredidation but not AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) which is what No Child Left Behind (NCLB) uses for its criteria. AYP is federal, and a school/system have to meet it in EVERY category in order to have made it.
Yep, I understand that. Reeze said that only FFX met "state requirements", which many districts meet.

I don't know why fewer schools would make AYP, although I think it might be tough for schools with very high passing rates (low 90% +) to keep from dropping %.

Still, I am surprised the individual reports have not been mailed to the homes yet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
 
106 posts, read 27,364 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yep, I understand that. Reeze said that only FFX met "state requirements", which many districts meet.

I don't know why fewer schools would make AYP, although I think it might be tough for schools with very high passing rates (low 90% +) to keep from dropping %.

Still, I am surprised the individual reports have not been mailed to the homes yet.
washingtonpost.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Virginia
5,316 posts, read 6,861,832 times
Reputation: 1886
Thanks for the link reeze. So the article states Fairfax County was the only school division in Northern Virginia and one of only 12 across the state -- out of 132 -- that met all benchmarks.

Not as many divisions met all benchmarks this year but Fairfax County wasn't the only one to meet state requirements. 12 met all benchmarks and unlike the federal AYP, divisions don't have to meet all of the state benchmarks to meet state requirements.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Prince William County, VA
605 posts, read 975,749 times
Reputation: 285
I have one child in PWC public schools, and we received the scores. I'm not sure exactly when, because we were on vacation and had our mail held for two weeks--so some time in the first two weeks of August.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Virginia
5,316 posts, read 6,861,832 times
Reputation: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
I have one child in PWC public schools, and we received the scores. I'm not sure exactly when, because we were on vacation and had our mail held for two weeks--so some time in the first two weeks of August.
Curiosity got to me, so I went in to the building today and looked at them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top