U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,814,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Reston has 8 prohibited plants - all invasive exotics - but doesn't enforce the rule as I see lots of English Ivy.

http://www.reston.org/Portals/3/Park...icBrochure.pdf
Thanks J, for posting that. I don't know why so many people love Ivy. It is a spider collector. I was worried that there were restictions about the colors, etc. I have heard of HOA's that get that specific. Doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM

219 posts, read 410,686 times
We live in an older cluster and we are overrun with English ivy and have an obnoxiously tall bamboo grove. It's a big cluster budget buster. Various residents have aspirations for getting rid of the invasives, but honestly - so $$$.

Has anyone mentioned that Reston has a double HOA structure? There is the Reston Association, which has annual dues of $500 and maintains pools, tennis courts, paths, and then there is your local HOA, which in Reston is called a 'cluster.'

The cluster HOA arranges for services like trash, recycling and snow removal, common area landscaping and maintenance of any common cluster property like playgrounds, carports or docks. Also they are supposed to have a reserve fund for large occasional expenses like having the road repaved - our cluster is very conservative in keeping a large reserve fund, but we've heard stories of clusters who instead have to do an assessment when the big expenses roll around. In our cluster, dues are $300 quarterly.

This brings me to the RA Design Review Board ("DRB"). I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that the cluster proposes neighborhood standards for house colors and maybe other things, and works with the DRB to get those standards on file and occasionally update them. When you move into a cluster, you receive the cluster binder that has all the relevant information on your house and cluster, including the cluster's DRB standards. When it comes time to paint your house, you are limited within a certain range. In our cluster, you can keep the color the same even if the color is no longer one of the 'approved' colors, or you can paint it one of the approved colors, but it has to be a different color than the adjacent houses. Or, you can propose to your cluster board a revision of the guidelines and update the whole color palette, in which case you have just volunteered yourself as project leader.

Here is the RA DRB home page:
https://www.reston.org/PropertyOwner...LFowZOVw%3d%3d

When we were about to move in, we heard something about exterior inspections by RA. Basically, that appears to be the one time when RA seems to come by and figure out what 'you' are doing wrong according to whatever rules. We, the new owners, were told the deck was supposed to be stained a natural wood stain, and the outdoor storage shed the prior owners left tucked behind a fence was prohibited. It was annoying to be on the hook for infractions when you just move in. Why, we asked, did the prior owners never hear about their infractions? And why were there all these other houses on the street with unnaturally stained decks? We were in no hurry to correct this stuff, and eventually got around to restaining the deck when it needed it. Shh the storage shed is still there - we haven't heard any more about it in 5 years. But if we were to move away, the new owner would probably hear about it.

Last edited by perries; 08-24-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,852,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
When it comes time to paint your house, you are limited within a certain range. In our cluster, you can keep the color the same even if the color is no longer one of the 'approved' colors, or you can paint it one of the approved colors, but it has to be a different color than the adjacent houses. Or, you can propose to your cluster board a revision of the guidelines and update the whole color palette, in which case you have just volunteered yourself as project leader.
Hey, speaking about the color palette, it's always cracked me up to see the Restonian's jokes about mauve in Reston. Doesn't "The Mauve Houses of Reston" sound like a fun title for a photo shoot? Llike something you'd see in Cape May or Mendocino. I think it would be a fun artsy photo tour but the problem is I don't believe I've actually ever seen someone choose the mauve option. Anyone know where I can find some good ones? I'm guessing they must be back in the woodsier side roads along Lawyers Lane.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,852,182 times
Alley, just in case you haven't seen these yet, here are photo tours of the towns. You can get a good feeling for the personality differences just by looking at the photos.

Brambleton (a part of Ashburn)
Lowes Island (part of Cascades, which is the northern section of Sterling)
Reston-South Lakes
Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne
Leesburg

Old 08-24-2010, 01:43 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,814,718 times
Quote:
We live in an older cluster and we are overrun with English ivy and have an obnoxiously tall bamboo grove. It's a big cluster budget buster. Various residents have aspirations for getting rid of the invasives, but honestly - so $$$.
Thank you for the link. Has your cluster ever contacted the local zoos about the Bamboo? Off topic - but my sister had the same problem at her house in Atlanta - the previous owners had some fascination with Bamboo and their backyard had a huge grove/forest? and it just so happened that the Bamboo in her backyard was the kind their Pandas ate at that Atlanta Zoo. So, they came every week to harvest it for free - it got rid of a ton of the Bamboo and helped feed some pretty hungry Pandas - so she says. Just an idea. I have no idea what you can do about Ivy though...

Thanks for all the photo tours Caladium.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM

219 posts, read 410,686 times
Good lord, if this solves our bamboo problem...! Thanks for the idea, Alley01!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,530,751 times
Quote:
Has anyone mentioned that Reston has a double HOA structure? There is the Reston Association, which has annual dues of $500 and maintains pools, tennis courts, paths, and then there is your local HOA, which in Reston is called a 'cluster.'
Not all homes in Reston have a double HOA structure. I only belong to Reston Association - I have no "cluster." Though I do understand that some areas have cluster organizations that provide some services.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:23 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,849,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnay View Post
We are looking to make the move from Hampton Roads to NOVA and I visited Wegmans for the first time.... it is worth the move just to be able to shop there!!!! LOL! It was like walking into grocery nirvana....
I moved from Ashburn to Newport News last summer. The grocery stores here make me almost cry. I miss Wegmans.

I just might move back to Ashburn next summer.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Yes depending on where in reston you live, aircraft will be very loud at times. Between the two golf courses runs a north-south oriented flight path that gets major use in either direction for landing planes into the wind. This can host flights up to say 10 or more an hour during busier times. Flights are at about 3000 feet during this stretch. Usually if it's a small business jet or turboprop, the engines will be loud and high pitched. The larger planes seem to be quieter for some reason. I have been woken up before by business jets. Depending on your tolerance for noise and your home's soundproofing it may not be an issue; however I would caution against living in the area as Ive had guests complain of the noise, even just while talking to them over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia