U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 35,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^^
I agree completely. While yes the job market may be saturated with jobs for you those locations will vary and so will the packages they offer you etc...

I have also seen you post about everything is revolving on your son attending this certin school... what happens if it's not all what you thought it was?? and hinging your house location and job location on an elementary school seems a bit risky. Just becasue it may be a PERFECT fit for your nephew...it may not suit your child at all.

Thank you everyone for your input on this. Especially 5stones, who made a very basic but very interesting point. We have been putting too much emphasis on my wife's nephew's school. You are correct.

We need to assess the different areas and make our own personal observations instead of relying on census data, etc

One of our major concerns is a main topic that has been addressed in every Nova forum: THE TRAFFIC.
Although we have visited Nova very often, we will need to make a more accurate assessment of the traffic before we make a committment on purchasing a home in the area.

Thanks again to all of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 107,708 times
Hi,
It sounds like you have some definite ideas about where you would like to live. That is very helpful in narrowing your search. However, you may find that wanting is not always as good as having. Based on the information you have provided, I would suggest that you rent for at least 6 months to determine the best area for your family. There are many fine schools to choose from in this area. In addition, commuting times need to be factored into your home purchase decision. Renting is not necessarily the best long term financial decision, but under your circumstances it may be best suited to your long term goals.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-29-2007 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: realtor link is not allowed

Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,263 times
Hello,
welcome to Northern VA. There are so many issues to address when relocating. I would sincerely advise you to rent initially to get the "lay of the land" in regards to a majority of the issues (ie. traffic, schools, employment, neighborhoods, housing prices, etc.) Take your time and explore the different areas of Northern Virginia. I would literally get a notebook and jot down your impressions of each town or area. Then weigh each according to level of importance. Talk with your friends/families/neighbors in the area. Also I would recommend working with a realtor that understands NOVA. Not a person that specializes in just one area. I would not recommend rushing into buying a home. Especially in this market. I'm a Mortgage Banker and I see it time and time again where couples rush to buy a home for some reason and find out later that they're not happy with something (ie. commute, traffic, traffic, traffic did I mention traffic?) and they're stuck with their home because they bought in an area where values are still declining.
So take your time and enjoy the area.
Cheers,
Sean

Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM

7,916 posts, read 7,242,975 times
The local realtors association maintains a web site that disseminates the sales statistics for the counties, cities, and for specific zip codes. The market is quite soft in Burke (zip codes: 22009 and 22015). The median price has fallen nearly 20 percent. If you can hold off till the late Fall, I'm sure they'll fall some more since the typical seasonality of home prices fluctuates about +5 to +9% from December to June and -5% from July to December.

Zip Code Statistics (http://www.mris.com/reports/stats/zip_stats.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia