Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas in Arlington and Alexandria that you would stear clear of if looking to buy a detached House?
I dont know neighborhoods by names, but major cross street areas to avoid would be helpfull when looking at the mapped out homes for sale. My budget looks to be $500 ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Are there any areas in Arlington and Alexandria that you would stear clear of if looking to buy a detached House?
I dont know neighborhoods by names, but major cross street areas to avoid would be helpfull when looking at the mapped out homes for sale. My budget looks to be $500 ish.
All the neighborhoods with SF homes over "500 ish", which would be just about all of them.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM

50 posts, read 131,364 times
With respect to Alexandria, the 22301, 22305, 22314 zip codes are located in the City of Alexandria. These are the more urban parts of Alexandria and the parts I know best. 22301 is pretty good all around. 22314 has some really nice parts and some less nice but improving parts near Metro (but you're near Metro, so that offsets it for many). 22305 has some more established areas and some more "up and coming" areas with more urban issues but some civicly-engaged folks working to make a difference. In any of those zip codes, given the housing stock, and your budget, you'd be looking at attached/row houses/duplex units. You might find an occassional detached townhouse, which is what I live in -- has the feel of an end unit townhouse.

The 22302, 22304, 22311 and 22312 zip codes are shared between Fairfax County and the City of Alexandria. The 22206 zip code is shared between Arlington County and the City of Alexandria. And then there is the part of Fairfax County south of the City of Alexandria that is called "Alexandria" for postal purposes. The parts of Alexandria people on the board seem to complain about most are in the Fairfax County part.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM

51 posts, read 89,150 times
Quote:
I wouldn't buy any homes in Arlington that are south of I66 (Yorktown must be HS) and I wouldn't buy a home in Alexandria unless I don't have kids.

Stick with North Arlington.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
All the neighborhoods with SF homes over "500 ish", which would be just about all of them.
Are you saying that any area with a 500K SFH is bad?
That you need to spend more than that to be out of an undesirable area?
Or that any area with SFH over 500K is good?
I dont really understand your reply.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
I wouldn't buy any homes in Arlington that are south of I66 (Yorktown must be HS) and I wouldn't buy a home in Alexandria unless I don't have kids.

Stick with North Arlington.
Thank you.
I will keep that in mind as I look.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniegrl View Post
With respect to Alexandria, the 22301, 22305, 22314 zip codes are located in the City of Alexandria. These are the more urban parts of Alexandria and the parts I know best. 22301 is pretty good all around. 22314 has some really nice parts and some less nice but improving parts near Metro (but you're near Metro, so that offsets it for many). 22305 has some more established areas and some more "up and coming" areas with more urban issues but some civicly-engaged folks working to make a difference. In any of those zip codes, given the housing stock, and your budget, you'd be looking at attached/row houses/duplex units. You might find an occassional detached townhouse, which is what I live in -- has the feel of an end unit townhouse.

The 22302, 22304, 22311 and 22312 zip codes are shared between Fairfax County and the City of Alexandria. The 22206 zip code is shared between Arlington County and the City of Alexandria. And then there is the part of Fairfax County south of the City of Alexandria that is called "Alexandria" for postal purposes. The parts of Alexandria people on the board seem to complain about most are in the Fairfax County part.

Very Informative and thoughtfull reply
Much appreciated.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
No-go

- Anything very close to Rt. 1 in the Fairfax County side of Alexandria. The further away you go (especially East) from Rt. 1 is better.

- Arlandria (Mt. Vernon Ave and surrounding between W Glebe and S Glebe Rds)

- Columbia Pike below George Mason Dr

Risky

- Parts of the Landmark area near N Buereagard St

Also if you have kids research the schools very carefully. Alexandria City Schools are known for underacheiving but I feel you can still get a good education there (I graduated from the HS there.)

Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that any area with a 500K SFH is bad?
That you need to spend more than that to be out of an undesirable area?
Or that any area with SFH over 500K is good?
I dont really understand your reply.
Sorry I was a bit obtuse. What I was trying to say was it will be challenging to find neighborhoods, good or bad, within the city limits of Arlington or Alexandria with single family homes in that price range. Generally you'll need to look further out, in Fairfax County, for example or go with a townhouse as others on here have suggested. Take a quick look on realtor.com though and find out.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 AM

One suggestion if you can expand your geography - you can get a house in zip 22309 far enough East of Route 1 that you'll be in a nice neighborhood and not too far from DC (about 15 miles). It's a few miles down the GW Parkway from Old Town Alexandria (a very nice drive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia