Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM

184 posts, read 311,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I was looking at properties that'll be roughly along where the Silver Line will be built and I was shocked at the prices. I can understand paying, say, $1,700 a month for a 1br/1ba in Arlington or Old Town or Downtown Silver Spring or something in DC, but all the way out in the sticks?

Why is it so expensive? Is there something special about that area that I'm missing? Is there so much demand that landlords and realtors can get away with it? Are there a bunch of masochists who enjoy long-ass commutes?
LOL, I didnt know anyone thought that Reston or Ashburn being out in the sticks, maybe 35 yrs ago, but not today. that was pretty funny.
It all depends on what you want around you. We have everything out here that I need on a daily basis, and I treat going into DC as a mini trip for the day when I go occasionally. Usually it is when people from out of town visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It's mind-boggling, isn't it? Reston keeps getting more and more expensive, despite the recession and its far-flung locale. I had to vacate the premises of my former 1-BR apartment that was deteriorating and built in the 1970s because I could no longer afford the rent, which was increasing to $1,350/month (plus utilities). I've found better deals IN the District, which is undoubtedly much more desirable because you can eschew your vehicle and be proximate to culture instead of living out here in "the sticks" and having to sit in six lanes of traffic to get to the almighty Macaroni Grill or Target.

It may be a "bargain" for people who live AND work in Reston, but for we poor souls who live in Reston and work nearer to the District it blows. Seriously. This has to be one of the few major metropolitan areas in the nation where housing prices don't dip off the further and deeper you get into suburbia. I found a 1-BR apartment within a mile's walking distance to the Ballston Metro for $1,350/month, and it was more luxurious than my former place in Reston. Normally for being willing to tolerate and stomach living in a place devoid of culture, history, charm, etc. you are "rewarded" with a lower cost-of-living. That's not the case with Reston. Housing prices remain unattainable to the middle-class, and judging by the number of BMWs and Audis that dwarf my Mazda at every red light here the community continues to grow more and more affluent.

When the Silver Line comes Reston may just become AS expensive as North Arlington, which is ludicrous. What does Reston offer that DC/Arlington don't?
The District is a great place to live but you are completely negating the fact that income taxes are higher and the vast majority of individuals working in the private sector will not be able to ditch the car because most new jobs in this region are in Tysons and beyond. And a $1350 1 bedroom apartment in DC will not be in any of the NW neighborhoods that are closest to the jobs in northern Virginia...unless it is a bedroom in a share house.

Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed living near the Metro. I chose Clarendon for convenience to friends and certain clients but it still isn't THAT convenient to job centers outside of the Beltway. I love where I live and definitely don't plan on leaving for a long time, but I've done the reverse commute from Arlington/DC for 5+ years and I can definitely see where the demand comes from for properties in the Reston and Ashburn areas.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
80,000 people work at Tysons Corner.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
80,000 people work at Tysons Corner.
Woweeee............that's more people than work in most downtown cities in the US! I remember when Tysons had ''only'' 50,000! Doesn't seem like that long ago. No wonder there is such demand for housing in NOVA!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
The cost of nearly anything can be explained by supply and demand in the marketplace. Houses and apartments cost what they do because of the market. The market sets the price. Home owners want to rent their house for as much as the market will bear. Ditto apartment owners. The market, people, decide what the prices will be. If the price is too high, it sits empty. Too low and they don't make as much money as they could. They charge what they charge because the market tells them what the house or apartment will sell for, or rent for. Supply and Demand.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Reston et al sound convenient if you live in NoVA but you've got a strong point about how it's nowhere near as culturally rich as DC or Arlington and Alexandria.
LOL, I remember back when I was in my young 20s and was so excited to live in DC so I could walk to the ballet or to the symphony whenever I wanted. After a year I found out reality is I really didn't go to the ballet or the symphony. I rarely had the money, the time... or the interest. I did go to the store to buy an endless supply of mouse traps, however.

Meanwhile, out here in the burbs I have more than enough culture (for my tastes). I may not go to the ballet, but tonight I'm going to see Train at Wolftrap. In the last week I had the option of seeing the Irish Tenors, the Temptations, the Four Tops, A Midsummer's Night Dream, The National Symphony Orchestra, Great Big Sea, Green Day, Rascal Flatts w/Kellie Pickler, Tom Petty, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Rihanna w/ Kesha, not to mention the bands that play at the State Theatre, the Loudoun Summer Music Festival, Ned Devine's, the various free concerts in local communities, and an assortment of bluegrass jams out in the communities surrounding Leesburg.

If concerts aren't your thing, there were a dozen or so galleries with art exhibits, not to mention exhibits at several museums including two Smithsonian museums. There were several equestrian events, festivals, and craft shows. The wineries had tastings combined with an assortment of cultural events. Janelia Center's lecture series had a speaker on genetics. The National Wildlife Federation and the USGS also have excellent speaker series. Next year the minor league baseball stadium opens along with the new cultural arts center.

Gee, it's such a shame we're so culturally deprived out here in the burbs.

Last edited by Caladium; 08-23-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I've found better deals IN the District, which is undoubtedly much more desirable because you can eschew your vehicle and be proximate to culture instead of living out here in "the sticks" and having to sit in six lanes of traffic to get to the almighty Macaroni Grill or Target.
It's funny, I remember a person last year who couldn't stop saying things like that. It seemed like almost every week he announced how he had found a better deal closer in to DC, and would certainly move from Reston the very minute his lease was up. And when his lease ended, he did move... but after all that talk, he didn't end up moving closer to DC after all. He chose another apartment in Reston.

Maybe those better deals really weren't so great when they were actually explored? It's interesting to read claims that there are much better deals to be found, but actions speak louder than words.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, I remember back when I was in my young 20s and was so excited to live in DC so I could walk to the ballet or to the symphony whenever I wanted. After a year I found out reality is I really didn't go to the ballet or the symphony. I rarely had the money, the time... or the interest. I did go to the store to buy an endless supply of mouse traps, however.

Meanwhile, out here in the burbs I have more than enough culture (for my tastes). I may not go to the ballet, but tonight I'm going to see Train at Wolftrap. In the last week I had the option of seeing the Irish Tenors, the Temptations, the Four Tops, A Midsummer's Night Dream, The National Symphony Orchestra, Great Big Sea, Green Day, Rascal Flatts w/Kellie Pickler, Tom Petty, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Rihanna w/ Kesha, not to mention the bands that play at the State Theatre, the Loudoun Summer Music Festival, Ned Devine's, the various free concerts in local communities, and an assortment of bluegrass jams out in the communities surrounding Leesburg.

If concerts aren't your thing, there were a dozen or so galleries with art exhibits, not to mention exhibits at several museums including two Smithsonian museums. There were several equestrian events, festivals, and craft shows. The wineries had tastings combined with an assortment of cultural events. Janelia Center's lecture series had a speaker on genetics. The National Wildlife Federation and the USGS also have excellent speaker series. Next year the minor league baseball stadium opens along with the new cultural arts center.

Gee, it's such a shame we're so culturally deprived out here in the burbs.
I completely agree with this post...I've lived in Arlington since moving to this area in 2005 and I can say that almost 80% of concerts that I've attended (and I go to a lot of concerts) have been at Wolf Trap, Nissan Pavilion, State Theater and the Birchmere. I've found plenty of cultural opportunities without ever having to cross the Potomac although I can be on the National Mall in 10 minutes by car.

And if you want cultural diversity in terms of food then you definitely aren't going to find it in DC (or even Arlington for the most part).That is one thing that amazed me when I moved here...the best ethnic restaurants in the region are nowhere near DC proper. Cultural diversity doesn't stop at the DC or Arlington lines. At least not from my experience in this area.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
Not sure what you mean by "landlords and realtors getting away with it."

It's supply and demand. If a realtor and home owner (realtor suggests and home owner decides price) set a price too high it will sit. Price it low and you may get multiple offers...Price it right and it will go. There is nothing to get away with...a home is worth what someone will pay...what the market will stand.

Ashburn is popular b/c of it's community feel, walking path, etc. And it is close to many work locations. Even Tyson's isn't a horrible commute. (My husband would drive it daily and it takes 45 mintues most days)

Reston is great as well. It is very close to a lot of big companies, kinda in the middle, and has the town center which I think is great.

Prices are cheaper than they were when we moved here in Jan 2008. (And even then it was cheaper compared to the 2006 market!) I know it is sticker shock, but it is what it is. We like that our kids have all kinds of opportunity here. You have to pay for it, but it's at the fingertips. That being said, we are moving away due to husbands job, lol!

Good luck! I know it can take awhile to get used to the prices here!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 AM

You're moving, twinmma? Well, I sure enjoyed reading your posts while you were here. I'm glad you were part of our forum. Best of luck to you with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia