U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM

23 posts, read 28,107 times

Advertisements

I used to think Safeway's prices were always over priced and out landish.But recently,i have been going to the Safeway in Bailey's Crossroad's,and they have very good prices.I mean really good prices.Check them out.It is always a pick and a guess,between Shopper's in Fall's Church,and now Safeway.The Shopper's now is getting more exspensive because they remodeled it,so they have to pass the payment off to thier customer's,plus,thier produce is alway's rough.You will almost find in a bag of onions 2 or 3 bad.Seafood here is a major no-no.It is just down right nasty,They don't clean the cases well.I have got bad fish from this paticular Shopper's before.The only real good find in the 7 corner's shoppers is their Line of Organic chicken is very nicely priced.You can get a nice,plump pack of thighs or legs for less then 4$ a pack.

Now i enjoy shopping more at This Safeway,more selection on premium items.Everytime i go there,the fruit is absolutely beautiful.The meat dept.is very nice,the people are even more nice.They have in now Wild soke-eye pink salmon,which is hard to find at such great quality.I used to go to the fish monger's,but thier prices are out of the water!! Almost 25$ per pound! At Safeway,i got mine for less then 9$ per pound,and it is wild caught.Superb taste,and excellent quality.You just have to know the sales,when they are going to be lower,and on which day's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,594,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Are we in NJ or VA? Is there sales tax on prepared foods ?
Umm...we are in Virginia. Someone commented that the prices in New Jersey on groceries were much higher than here in NoVA. Someone else countered that it depended on which part of New Jersey. And I added that there is no sales tax on food in supermarkets in New Jersey (not sure about prepared food).

You asked if we were getting ripped off here in Northern Virginia on groceries, so a valid way to investigate that is to compare it to other places.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,798,500 times
All I know is I just got back from a week in Cape May, NJ. We rented a house and so we cooked and bought groceries. We didn't shop at the Acme in the tourist area, instead drove to N. Cape May, and shopped at the Acme on Sandman Blvd. Holy cow!!!! The fanciest item we bought was tuna steaks, but you'd have thought I bought filet mignon if you saw how homongous our grocery bill was. I dont remember the price of milk but I do remember buying a bottle of Buffalo Grove syrah (a favorite back here in Nova, so I'm very familiar with the price--$7.99 at Total Wine in Sterling). It cost me $13.99 in NJ. Also, a simple 8x14 sheet birthday cake was $20.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,680,506 times
Default Do you feel we're getting ripped off on groceries?

I shop at my downtown farmers market every week for fresh fruit & veggies, yummy. Much cheaper than my local grocery market. When shopping for other items I watch for sales and use coupons. I try my best in todays economy for my family. But unfortunately when you go grocery shopping one day and the next week the same item is $1.00 higher, yes I feel we're getting ripped off on groceries!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM

3,149 posts, read 8,085,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
All I know is I just got back from a week in Cape May, NJ. We rented a house and so we cooked and bought groceries. We didn't shop at the Acme in the tourist area, instead drove to N. Cape May, and shopped at the Acme on Sandman Blvd. Holy cow!!!! The fanciest item we bought was tuna steaks, but you'd have thought I bought filet mignon if you saw how homongous our grocery bill was. I dont remember the price of milk but I do remember buying a bottle of Buffalo Grove syrah (a favorite back here in Nova, so I'm very familiar with the price--$7.99 at Total Wine in Sterling). It cost me $13.99 in NJ. Also, a simple 8x14 sheet birthday cake was $20.
Acme is the most overpriced supermarket in South Jersey (and Philadelphia). Unfortunately, they have a virtual monopoly in some of the shore towns. There's a Shop Rite and Walmart in Rio Grande that would be further, but cheaper.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:03 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,538,116 times
Seems like I pay more and more for groceries everytime I shop. It used to be $50 could buy you a lot, nowadays that don't buy you squat

Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM

170 posts, read 512,711 times
Supply and Demand, people. Lots of people in a metropolitan area equals more demand than the supply therefore you get higher costs. This is true for just about everything: housing, cars, food, clubs etc.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,762,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Umm...we are in Virginia. Someone commented that the prices in New Jersey on groceries were much higher than here in NoVA. Someone else countered that it depended on which part of New Jersey. And I added that there is no sales tax on food in supermarkets in New Jersey (not sure about prepared food).
Michgc, correct about the no sales tax on food in NJ. However, there is sales tax if the food is prepared/cooked (i.e., at a restaurant).

Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,762,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Acme is the most overpriced supermarket in South Jersey (and Philadelphia). Unfortunately, they have a virtual monopoly in some of the shore towns. There's a Shop Rite and Walmart in Rio Grande that would be further, but cheaper.
pcity's right. ACME is the highest priced supermarket I know of. And shore towns usually will have higher prices due to their locations. Best place for liquor though are the privately-owned liquor stores (some of them are massive). And sheet cake? Either a bakery at a farmer's market or, of course, COSTCO.

In VA? Best place I've seen with prices near my home is the Super Walmart. Out in Winchester, both Walmarts are Supers and I am surprised how good the fruit is. We also have Martin's which is clean, well-stocked, and has good produce. But they are pricier.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM

446 posts, read 998,190 times
Yes, very disenchanted with Giant in the Cascades area. Expensive and produce not very good. Now that the new road has opened and getting to Wegmans is less of a hassle - at least for now - might venture there more often. Find they can compete with Wal-mart on alot of their items, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia