U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM

23,653 posts, read 33,472,314 times

Advertisements

It's been over three months since I moved from Northern VA. Strangely I feel very indifferent towards it. Seriously I have no buyer's remorse after leaving nor want to jump up around and say finally outta NoVA. When I left Hampton Roads I had some buyer's remorse after a few weeks which turned into my whole stay in NoVA. I would guess I'm totally at peace with my decision and action to leave.

Some reasons for this:

- I knew when making this move, it was the smartest move economically. No way I could have survived in NoVA financially by myself.

- I just couldn't deal with the stresses of NoVA anymore.

- I know this move I made is temporary. I moved to Northern VA expecting to stay forever.

- I knew I needed to leave Virginia and experience somewhere else.

Has anyone you've known who left Northern VA felt rather indifferent towards it after they left?

Oh, BTW, there is no way in I would ever consider living in NoVA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,411,977 times
Well, as they say, there's a thin line between love and hate. I can easily imagine myself not feeling up to expending the emotional energy to think about NoVA if I ever got to leave - which would be, IMO, a far greater insult than bearing a grudge towards a place/a person/whatever for years on end. Once I'd moved, if anyone asked me, "So, did you really dislike Northern Virginia that much?", I'd be like, "Where?"

Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,822,163 times
I question your claim to be indifferent about NoVa. You've moved, and allegedly moved on, and yet continue to post in the NoVa threads.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,932,144 times
I'm glad to hear this, Alanboy. It's an important step. You can't really embrace a new city/job/relationship/etc. until you stop spending emotional energy thinking about the former one.

You're absolutely right that part of the reason you're having a healthy adjustment is you've realized most moves are temporary. When you move to a place expecting to stay forever that can set off a lot of stress--and it's unneccesary because few things in life are "forever" and nobody knows what job or city changes are in their future.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I question your claim to be indifferent about NoVa. You've moved, and allegedly moved on, and yet continue to post in the NoVa threads.
Who said I had to move on from the NoVA subforum? Heck I been out of Hampton Roads for over 6 years but still post in the HR subforum regularly. Just because you move from somewhere don't mean you have nothing to contribute to others looking into that area.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM

329 posts, read 477,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
It's been over three months since I moved from Northern VA. Strangely I feel very indifferent towards it. Seriously I have no buyer's remorse after leaving nor want to jump up around and say finally outta NoVA. When I left Hampton Roads I had some buyer's remorse after a few weeks which turned into my whole stay in NoVA. I would guess I'm totally at peace with my decision and action to leave.

Some reasons for this:

- I knew when making this move, it was the smartest move economically. No way I could have survived in NoVA financially by myself.

- I just couldn't deal with the stresses of NoVA anymore.

- I know this move I made is temporary. I moved to Northern VA expecting to stay forever.

- I knew I needed to leave Virginia and experience somewhere else.

Has anyone you've known who left Northern VA felt rather indifferent towards it after they left?

Oh, BTW, there is no way in I would ever consider living in NoVA again.
what stresses were those, specifically?
Just about every reason you gave could be said about anywhere I reckon.
So where did you find that's better?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
what stresses were those, specifically?
Just about every reason you gave could be said about anywhere I reckon.
So where did you find that's better?
- Super-fast paced lifestyle.
- Massive cost-of-living.
- Horrid traffic.
- My personality wasn't right for the area.

In short me and NoVA weren't a good match. Louisville isn't perfect but it's currently fitting me fine.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,807,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
You've moved, and allegedly moved on, and yet continue to post in the NoVa threads.
Doesn't matter where you live in order to post on the NoVA threads. Heck, I post in the VA, NoVA, DC, West Virginia, PA, NJ, NJ Suburbs/Phil threads and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,807,231 times
I went to a cookout last weekend and two people there told me that they lived in NOVA, left for 2-3 yrs and came back. Both were well-educated and in well-paying professions.

Sometimes it takes going away to get the other/older place in perspective.

Never say never -- you just never know, with the way the DC-NOVA area keeps expanding there could be some prime career opportunity nearby NOVA, just far out enough to get some peace and quiet, have lower expenses, but accessible to the friends you've made here and occasional social events near DC

I'm glad things are working out for you!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM

70 posts, read 94,253 times
Im still in NY, and post in NOVA forums, I even started a tread that got closed, lol. Alan, on a serious not what stresses of NOVA are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia