Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,311,639 times

Advertisements

We buy them all the time here in my line of work. They are worthless until you need them

I personally will always get one. For me it is a safety net. And you know everything seems to break when other life events happen...for us we had our AC go right around Christmas time. Talk about an expensive time of year but having the home warranty was great as it only cost us a small amount.

GOod luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,149 times
Worthless - even if you need them. We had one - furnance went - they all claim it was a pre existing condition - biggest rip-offs ever

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Worthless - even if you need them. We had one - furnance went - they all claim it was a pre existing condition - biggest rip-offs ever
Who is "they"? I did not have problems getting my refrigerator replaced by HMS and my A/C fixed by Old Republic. It would be helpful to know any bad experiences so we can steer clear of these dishonest companies.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,274,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I for one wouldn't consider purchasing a house that didn't have one in place ..dated from the date of sale or as close to that as possible, to allow for at least a years worth of coverage. It might be better $ spent for the seller...but not the buyer, if something were to go...
I agree, we would never buy a house that the seller didn't offer one, that goes for a new house as well. With the quality of workmanship and goods you just never know.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM

"they" was FH Furr and any other furnace company we contacted - none of them would honor our warranty by a big warrenty company obtained through a well known reality - dont have the paperwork to give you a name.

All I am saying is watch out for the claim of a "pre existing condition"

Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
"they" was FH Furr and any other furnace company we contacted - none of them would honor our warranty by a big warrenty company obtained through a well known reality - dont have the paperwork to give you a name.

All I am saying is watch out for the claim of a "pre existing condition"
Fairfax Mom:

You never contact the repair people directly. If you have a home warranty, you call the insurer like HMS or Old Republic to file a claim, and they send a repair person over. Home warranty works just the way your auto or home insurance works; you go through the insurance company.

And I do agree that it is fairly easy for shady companies to get away with "pre-existing condition" claims, but that's why I paid a little more (and kept my fingers crossed) and went with a name-brand company. I am sorry to hear about your furnace claim.

Thanks,
K

Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 PM

274 posts, read 708,467 times
I recommend them for "as-is" sales or sales where the age of the equipment warrants at least a year getting to know the systems. Plus, refrigerants in new AC systems have been upgraded, and home warranties appear to cover those systems, even to replacement of units and additional ducts, if necessary.

That said, the warranty helped us out the first couple years of our home ownership until we started our own little renovations.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM

The company contacted FH Furr - not us -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia