U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 AM

86 posts, read 349,897 times

Advertisements

I just tried posting this once before, but something went wrong... anyway, I hope this doesn't get posted twice (I apologize if it does).

I will be moving to Falls Church in about a month and know that the state inspection for vehicles is a little more involved than what I'm used to. I read about it on the DMV website but have a few questions:

First, how often do you have to have your vehicle inspected? Is it yearly to get a new inspection sticker for your windshield?

Also, I read somewhere on the website that you can only have authorized stickers on your windows and glass of the car. I couldn't figure out what would be authorized or not though; I have a few window stickers from my college, and I hope that wouldn't cause me to fail inspection!

If you have any other tips or information I should know, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM

260 posts, read 1,544,810 times
Yearly safety inspections (window sticker) and bi-yearly emissions inspectons (license plate sticker).

Stickers on the back windows usually won't cause any problems. If you obstruct the windshield or front seat windows with extremely large stickers, you mey get flagged. Heavily tinted windows (presidential) will cause you to fail too if it's on the windshield or front seat windows.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM

86 posts, read 349,897 times
Great, thanks... these inspections seem like a pain

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM

260 posts, read 1,544,810 times
They're great though, I'm sure tberg224 and Dingler will come in here and call me a communist for saying it, but I wish more jusidictions did them. It's very noticeable that cars you see with dead bulbs in headlights, mis-aimed headlights, missing or highly cracked windows, missing or rusted out mufflers, etc, mainly come from other states, especially Maryland.

The main trick with inspections is to do them in the middle of the month. If you do them at the end of the month, people who procrastinated will make the lines longer, and if you do them at the beginning of the month, the really bad procrastinators from last month will still be there. For me, I can drop the car off the night before and then take the bus to work, making it very simple, but if I didn't have that choice I'd have to wake up early on a Saturday and get it done then.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,328,017 times
You're probably a communist anyway, jb. But I'd agree, the inspections are a bit of a pain, but geez, it's once a year, and I do feel better that somebody has taken a look at the vast majority of other cars on the road and thought they were okay within the last year or so.

Those really bad procrastinators of course are rewarded by getting an extra month of coverage for free. Cheapskates may be part of the reason to avoid the first couple of days of the month. I usually just grab the morning paper and a tall cup of coffee and go try to be first in line some morning. Usually out and on my way by 7:30 or so...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:13 PM

37 posts, read 139,945 times
I also would find a place near work when I could walk, and just drop it off. They would call me if there was a problem, and usually could fix it by the time I came to pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia