U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,644,680 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not we have flown Allegiant Air out of Hagerstown to Orlando. Nice jets, non-stop, and usually less than $60. Sometimes they are even a lot lower as we have flown for as low as $19.99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Believe it or not we have flown Allegiant Air out of Hagerstown to Orlando. Nice jets, non-stop, and usually less than $60. Sometimes they are even a lot lower as we have flown for as low as $19.99.
Nevermind. I went to check their current rates. They ended their service to Orlando in July. The closest they fly out of now is Roanoke.

Maryland: Allegiant Air terminates local flights to Florida

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

180 posts, read 253,040 times
Being an aviaition enthusiast and hobby and belong to many aviation forums, this question is tough to tackle.
We'll start with IAD aka Dulles
Dulles is a hub for United Airlines. Check United website for flight information. You can find some deals sometimes by flying into their hub.
For discount carriers, Jetblue (My personal favorite), Air Tran airways and Southwest Airlines all fly into IAD (Dulles). Not sure where you will be flying from, but you may have to make a connection to one of those 3 discount airlines I mentioned above through one of their hubs. Not always but sometimes. Dulles is my favorite of the three airports in the region. New people mover walkways are there and the new Air Train, whisks you very quickly post security to your terminal. Relatively east airport to navigate through as well and delays are not that common unless it is a terrible weather day across the Northeast Region. Late afternoons are busy at Dulles due to it being the largest airport in the region handling international flights.

DCA aka Regan National airport--Excellent location to Washington DC. You have I 395 and RT 1 right there and the Washington Metro blue and yellow lines. Weekends though they always seem to be doing some track work so delays do follow. It is a US Airways hub for the most part, though American and American Eagle have a chunk of flights out of there. Air Tran is the only discount airline that flies into and out of DCA (National). Again pretty much an easy airport to navigate through. Delays can run large here due to the lack of multiple runways and short runways. The best air fare will probably be US Airways and their regional airlines, ie, Air Wisconsin

BWI aka BWI lol A major southwest airlines hub. They built two brand new terminals A and B there 5 years ago or so. By far the largest airline there as well. Air Tran also has a large number of flights and is kind of like a mini hub for them. Jetblue just started flying there as well recently but not from a lot of locations. Southwest and Air Tran will be the best bet for the best fares to BWI. If you want to be in NOVA, BWI is a hoof. You will need to navigate I 95 and the most adventerous Capital Beltway to get to NOVA. Can take you anywhere from 45 mins to 2 hours depending on construction and traffic.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM

717 posts, read 2,488,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Really???? I will certainly have to look into that. It seems that I am on the wrong end of these flights when I book from Orlando to elsewhere, cause I usually don't see the fares you guys are talking about.

I suppose that until I get acclimated up there I won't know exactly what I prefer and what I don't. I live 15 minutes and no traffic away from the Orlando airport so I don't know what it's like to deal with it any other way.

Generally, I don't mind a bit of inconvenience if it's worth it $$$ wise, but can't judge your area yet as far as what I am willing to do. It's going to be just me and I am a constant explorer so we'll see what I am ready to tolerate.

I suppose by "best", my first concern would be regarding safety issues. Are there concers which seem to arise repeatedly at one airport or another? Then there's also the bit about getting thru security--which takes longer, etc.? Is there an airport that just seems to be full of more hassles than the other--like when you know you have to fly out of it, you just dread it.......

Thanks for all replies--I do appreciate.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

717 posts, read 2,488,710 times
appalachianwx71-thank you for a very informative post. Gives me the scoop on a lot of things with each airport. Most of my flying right now will be back and forth to Orlando.

Years ago when I lived in Harrisburg, PA, I used to make the drive from there thru Baltimore and DC on my way to points further south. There was no city in the country that frustrated me more than driving thru DC. The traffic was horrible, but more frustrating to me was the fact that with the cities that were listed on the signs, I never knew which city I needed to be in the lane for. I didn't know suburban Washington well enough to know which suburbs were which direction. I just wanted a sign that said Richmond if I was going south or Gettysburg or Baltimore if going north--depending on if I was going home on 15 or up 81.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
I have flown regularly out of all three, and BWI is the longest ground travel time, but it's a pretty easy airport to navigate, and has some excellent rates. Sometimes you can save a significant amount by using BWI, even with the hassle. You can always take MARC or Amtrak to BWI as well, as it has its own shuttle bus, so if you are traveling light, it would be feasible to take Metro to Union Station and then the train to BWI. BWI has a regular shuttle bus that services its own train stop.

Reagan is perhaps the best, for me, because I know it very well, and the flights usually mesh with my schedule. It's also reliable in terms of ground transportation. And, you do have the option of Metro to the airport, as well, if you're traveling light.

Dulles can be very busy, as noted above, and while I have used Dulles for both domestic and international flights, I seem to do more international travel from the New York airports. Sometimes it is coincidental with my schedule, but other times it was because of the hassle of the people movers at Dulles. With the advent of the tunnel, and the AeroTrain to the midfield terminal, that's a non-issue now. Metro access is limited, and you need to transfer to a coach bus at the West Falls Church Metro.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 AM

798 posts, read 2,478,977 times
We have used all three airports depending on price, time of day etc.. but Reagan is our favorite because it is closest and the easiest for us. Next choice is always BWI. One caution about Dulles is if you need to check a bag in, the lines are always very long... Our last expereince this past winter we had our boarding passes and everything but needed to check a bag and we were on line for over an hour. It was crazy! Also, you do need to build in some extra time to get to the gate area because of the layout at Dulles.. The new system is better but it still takes some time.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
We Our last expereince this past winter we had our boarding passes and everything but needed to check a bag and we were on line for over an hour. It was crazy!
Since you had your boarding passes could you have not done curbside check in for the baggage?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM

738 posts, read 2,617,651 times
I've used all three airports, and I don't have any specific complaints about any of them for how they operate. Go to whichever one is closest to you. Dulles is about the 20th ranked busiest airport in the US, and BWI is right behind it at around 22nd.

I live right next to Dulles, so I fly through out of there probably 95% of the time. The new air train is very nice, and I always seem to get through security quickly. I've never had any issues checking bags (the self check-in kiosks keep things moving), and I've flown out of there on several occasions at different times. I prefer dulles out of the other DC airports, but that's mainly due to proximity to my home.

Reagan/National is right next to DC and probably the most convenient if you're actually downtown or in the Arlington neck of the woods. It's a bit smaller, but has flights to most domestic locations.

BWI - I've only flown out of there once, and it was fine, but it's a hike from my house. I generally avoid BWI since it's the furthest of the DC area airports from northern VA.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Really???? I will certainly have to look into that. It seems that I am on the wrong end of these flights when I book from Orlando to elsewhere, cause I usually don't see the fares you guys are talking about.
But as I realized in my next post, they stopped flying out of Hagerstown in July. Too bad, because Hagerstown wasn't much further from me than going to BWI.
Right now there are a lot of flights for 29.99 from Orlando to Roanoke, but that would then be a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive up from there.

If you are flying out of Orlando to other areas, they may be worth looking into. From Orlando they fly to a lot of areas of the country, just into small airports.

Discount Flights and Vacation Packages | Airfare & Hotel Packages from Allegiant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or