Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times

Advertisements

I have never flown into Dulles or Reagan National, so I know absolutely nothing about them. I have flown in and out of BWI a couple of times, but it was more than 10 years ago.

Which airport is the best and which is the worst? and why?

I will be moving up within a few weeks, but will need to fly to Orlando about once a month. I also fly to various other cities for my business. What do you suggest as far as least expensive and best overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:38 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
It all depends. Where will you live? Where will your workplace be? What time of day will you be traveling? Will you be driving, taking a cab, or other public transportation to the airport?
Dulles is further from DC. It costs more and takes longer to get there.
National is right across the river from DC and accessible by Metro.
It isn't really a question of "best" overall, but best for the particular flight you need. For international and long-haul flights, Dulles is usually the best option for avoiding connecting flights.
Most frequent flyers in the DC area end up using both airports eventually.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Least expensive to Orlando is BWI. I live in Prince William County so it is about an hour and 10 minute drive for me if I go early. I like that airport the best for ease of use and amenities but it is the farthest.

Dulles will have the second best prices to Orlando. It is convenient for much of NoVA residents but it takes me 45 to one hour to get there. They only have their own parking there and no private, off-site lots (which BWI has).

Reagan is probably the most convenient for the overall NoVA population but it is smaller, runways shorter (makes take offs and landings extra fun) and the prices seem to run higher than the others unless you can find a sale.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I've never flown out of Dulles but I have used Reagan on many occasions. If you live in Arlington, Alexandria or inner-Beltway Fairfax County, it's definitely very convenient. On the other hand...besides the relatively higher fares as mentioned, the flights are mostly limited by distance (~1300 miles) so if you have to go towards the West Coast, not to mention international, you'll likely need to change planes.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I've flown out of all three and spotted at all three. What do you mean by 'best'? It's hard to answer a question like that. Dulles probably gets the most complaints from travelers, but I like it fine.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Ease of use? BWI

Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM

230 posts, read 758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I have never flown into Dulles or Reagan National, so I know absolutely nothing about them. I have flown in and out of BWI a couple of times, but it was more than 10 years ago.

Which airport is the best and which is the worst? and why?

I will be moving up within a few weeks, but will need to fly to Orlando about once a month. I also fly to various other cities for my business. What do you suggest as far as least expensive and best overall?
It really probably depends on exactly where you are moving to and how much time you are willing to travel to get to the different airports. I live 15 minutes from Dulles AP and it's very convenient. Our family has never had any issues with flying out of there. The rates can be a little higher, but it is definitely worth it to us. Traveling to BWI to save on the cost is just not worth the hassle, especially the distance you have to travel from several locations in Northern VA to get there. It has been my experience when looking for cheaper flights the most inexpensive ones leaving from BWI leave very early in the morning - some before 6 AM! As far as Reagan, it's a good airport too. Again, it depends on where you are located in Northern VA and how much time you are willing to travel there to catch a flight. If you are located in Arlington then Reagon would be more convenient. If you are moving to say Warrenton then Dulles AP would certainly be more convenient and easier to get to with less hassle.
If cost is your concern then BWI would be the airport to choose, if convenience outweighs cost then Reagon and Dulles AP is the way to go!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
It really probably depends on exactly where you are moving to and how much time you are willing to travel to get to the different airports. I live 15 minutes from Dulles AP and it's very convenient. Our family has never had any issues with flying out of there. The rates can be a little higher, but it is definitely worth it to us. Traveling to BWI to save on the cost is just not worth the hassle, especially the distance you have to travel from several locations in Northern VA to get there. It has been my experience when looking for cheaper flights the most inexpensive ones leaving from BWI leave very early in the morning - some before 6 AM! As far as Reagan, it's a good airport too. Again, it depends on where you are located in Northern VA and how much time you are willing to travel there to catch a flight. If you are located in Arlington then Reagon would be more convenient. If you are moving to say Warrenton then Dulles AP would certainly be more convenient and easier to get to with less hassle.
If cost is your concern then BWI would be the airport to choose, if convenience outweighs cost then Reagon and Dulles AP is the way to go!
I had routinely been using Dulles to go to Orlando. Then all of a sudden, Dulles' flights were no longer discounted as the used to be. On my last trip to Orlando, I got a rate of $106 RT out of BWI (yes my flight was at 7:00 a.m.). Any flight out of Dulles was going to cost me $154 RT. Multiply that by 6 people and it made sense for me to drive the extra 20 minutes to BWI. Plus the daily parking rate is cheaper. I can assure that at 4:30 a.m. there is NO traffic from Woodbridge to BWI. Taking a later flight out of BWI could be problematic though, with increased traffic.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

230 posts, read 758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I had routinely been using Dulles to go to Orlando. Then all of a sudden, Dulles' flights were no longer discounted as the used to be. On my last trip to Orlando, I got a rate of $106 RT out of BWI (yes my flight was at 7:00 a.m.). Any flight out of Dulles was going to cost me $154 RT. Multiply that by 6 people and it made sense for me to drive the extra 20 minutes to BWI. Plus the daily parking rate is cheaper. I can assure that at 4:30 a.m. there is NO traffic from Woodbridge to BWI. Taking a later flight out of BWI could be problematic though, with increased traffic.
Yep, I could see that driving to BWI if you are buying tickets for 6 people would be more cost effective! I guess it all depends on what cost factors are involved as to whether it is worth any hassles that might be involved. As long you are willing to go to BWI "SUPER" early and come back "SUPER" early or "VERY LATE at night" then traffic won't be an issue! I think our family is spoiled by being located so close to Dulles AP that we are willing to pay a little more!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Yep, I could see that driving to BWI if you are buying tickets for 6 people would be more cost effective! I guess it all depends on what cost factors are involved as to whether it is worth any hassles that might be involved. As long you are willing to go to BWI "SUPER" early and come back "SUPER" early or "VERY LATE at night" then traffic won't be an issue! I think our family is spoiled by being located so close to Dulles AP that we are willing to pay a little more!
Yeah if I lived close to Dulles I would think twice. But since both Dulles and BWI are a hike for me, it's not a hard choice. I really do have to think out traffic patterns before booking a BWI flight. No way would I fly out on a Friday afternoon. I usually fly out early and make sure I arrive back into BWI no later than 1:00 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia